Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

Curious how people feel in terms of the JRR vs Ugbo/Bair discussion that was happening a week or two ago.   At that point the other two were pretty hot in their (European) leagues and people were questioning JRR’s inclusion.  Now, JRR has started 3 of the Crew’s last 5 (including their CCL games) and scored in their last two league games.  Early days in the season but he clearly has skills and seems to be poised for a prominent role with the Crew.  

The selection headache this causes for the upcoming window is a nice problem to have.  

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The pace is amazing - looked like he wasn’t even trying and the defender was struggling. 

This is exactly it.  I watched the replay a few times trying to judge his speed, I have not managed to watch his games.  Full speed, I couldn't tell if he was maxed out or trotting.  On the review it's pretty evident he's not full throttle and timing his run while holding the guy off.  And that first touch and placement, very well taken.

I don't know how many watched him play for our U17s at the Concacaf qualifying where Canada  won a berth to the  U17 WC, but the one aspect of JRR's game that stood out back then was his clinical finishing. Jayden & Kamron were the flashy players, but JRR just had a knack of finishing his chances. The pedigree is there. It's great to see him doing it at club level with a MLS Cup winner as well.

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Curious how people feel in terms of the JRR vs Ugbo/Bair discussion that was happening a week or two ago.   At that point the other two were pretty hot in their (European) leagues and people were questioning JRR’s inclusion.  Now, JRR has started 3 of the Crew’s last 5 (including their CCL games) and scored in their last two league games.  Early days in the season but he clearly has skills and seems to be poised for a prominent role with the Crew.  

The selection headache this causes for the upcoming window is a nice problem to have.  

Until one of them shows consistency over the length of a full season, it’s a toss up for me. 

17 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is where I think you have to have some faith in your managers judgement.  He has had all 3 in camp (i think Biello has been around), seen what they can do, watches more tape than we do and should arguably be able to judge the strength of the league/competition the guys are up against.  Its always nice to see a forward pop a few goals right before a call up though, and if Ugbo/Bair dont perform they'll know JRR/Tani/Brym is waiting in the wings...hehe.

It is a nice problem and the guys will just have to get used to it.  After Larin/David the 3-4 spots might be a revolving door of whos hot from a pool of 5-6 guys.  I think if the team is fair with them and knows they are all still in canadas plans, hopefully no one will get their feelings hurt.  And realistically injuries usually make a few of these decisions easier and let us reward the fringe guys who are playing their hearts out.  

Edited by Bison44

8 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Larin isn't safe, imo. He's getting old and isn't currently producing. I'd rather see Ugbo or Bair start ahead of him, in all honesty. 

No chance (in my opinion). 

24 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Larin isn't safe, imo. He's getting old and isn't currently producing. I'd rather see Ugbo or Bair start ahead of him, in all honesty. 

Yeah, not doing well in the best league in the world (i hope UT notices this) and all his recent experience at WCQ, WC etc etc trumps Ugbo being on a recent tear in a second division in my book.  Plus top guys like Lareya, David, Davies, Vitoria etc have shown they can come in from iffy club form and still do the job at the highest stage for CMNT.  Now a 60min sub for Larin against T+T sounds very juicy.....us up 2-0 and Ugbo pots an insurance goal at the end.  

29 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah, not doing well in the best league in the world (i hope UT notices this) and all his recent experience at WCQ, WC etc etc trumps Ugbo being on a recent tear in a second division in my book.  Plus top guys like Lareya, David, Davies, Vitoria etc have shown they can come in from iffy club form and still do the job at the highest stage for CMNT.  Now a 60min sub for Larin against T+T sounds very juicy.....us up 2-0 and Ugbo pots an insurance goal at the end.  

Good point. La Liga is a tough league. He should be able to handle T&T. 

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Blair and Ugbo aren't getting anywhere close to even making the bench on a last place team in La Liga, let alone getting a single minute of playing time. 

14 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Blair and Ugbo aren't getting anywhere close to even making the bench on a last place team in La Liga, let alone getting a single minute of playing time. 

I disagree. Last place La Liga teams are essentially soon to be segunda liga teams. Some of them would take a flyer on a championship level player who is banging them in. Ugbo could be a bench player on a last place La Liga team. Bair, no. 

Edited by king1010

58 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I disagree. Last place La Liga teams are essentially soon to be segunda liga teams. Some of them would take a flyer on a championship level player who is banging them in. Ugbo could be a bench player on a last place La Liga team. Bair, no. 

Although I agree with the sentiment, Ugbos quite streaky. He proved at troyes that he can come in and score goals. Then some things happen and he cant get a match. Same at cardiff and the jury is out about wednesday. I fully believe ugbo could play for a weak team in la liga just like he did for troyes, but I think he would get less minutes and score less goals than larin. Then hes back into the CMNT wilderness. 

I know youre just talking about his ability in la liga, so i guess I agree with you but wouldnt want it to happen unless he proves himself for a year in the championship first. 

3 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Ugbo can make it, I think. Still think he has a bit of that shine from being a Chelsea product- similar deal to Larin where a low team grabs a guy who can put it in the net at will when he’s on a roll. Bair probably not, but I think he has an extra level above Motherwell in him. 

It’s very good that in a few months we have gone from concerns about no depth behind David and Larin at forward to Ugbo and Bair being hot, JRR seeming to take a step up at the start of this year, Jebbison seemingly back in the frame after his season long injury, and two almost unheard of players emerging with the U20s in Morgan and Lopez.