Tom Holmes

Atlantic

I mean, for what its worth I do think that this would be a win-win situation.

On one hand this is probably our weakest position, especially after this cycle. Vitoria is gonna be cycled out after Qatar, Henry hasn't been looking so great for a while and is gonna age past his prime soonish and as much as I like Waterman (I am a CF Montreal fan and, like everyone else, I want the CPL to succeed) I am more comfortable with him as a valued, regular substitute then a starter. Of course, its always possible he'll keep further pleasantly surprise everyone with how quickly he developed but we can't bank on it and he is gonna soon enter his prime anyway. Holmes fill a hole for the CMNT.

On the other Holmes is a good player but not quite to the point where England isn't a clearly rather long shot. Both emotionally and professionally he would have probably preferred the three lions but since its quite probably not gonna happen joining a team that is, if not feared then at least respected now, would give him a good opportunity to further showcase his talents, get new fans from a rather wealthy country (always a nice bonus for teams looking to sell kits and the like) and play in World Cups alongside just getting to experiment international Soccer more broadly.

Edited by phil03

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

I mean, for what its worth I do think that this would be a win-win situation.

On one hand this is probably our weakest position. Henry hasn't been looking so great for a while and is gonna age past his prime soonish and as much as I like Waterman (I am a CF Montreal fan and, like everyone else, I want the CPL to succeed) I am more comfortable with him as a valued, regular substitute then a starter. Of course, its always possible he'll keep further pleasantly surprise everyone with how quickly he developed but we can't bank on it and he is gonna soon enter his prime anyway. Holmes fill a hole for the CMNT.

On the other Holmes is a good player but not quite to the point where England isn't a clearly rather long shot. Both emotionally and professionally he would have probably preferred the three lions but since its quite probably not gonna happen joining a team that is, if not feared then at least respected now, would give him a good opportunity to further showcase his talents, get new fans from a rather wealthy country (always a nice bonus for teams looking to sell kits and the like) and play in World Cups alongside just getting to experiment international Soccer more broadly.

yea.. he would basically almost guarantee himself two world cups if he was able get a CDN passport by Nov.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not to be that guy, but Tomori could have done the same thing, and maybe even Mitrovic.  It clearly isn’t enough to convince some people.  

True.. but Mitrovic and Tomori had calls from other nations, i don't see England calling Holmes anytime soon unless he gets bought by a top prem side.

Tomori is playing at a high enough level that he should be a regular on the England side.  Mitrovic, i don't know what he's thinking, because he's not really at the level of the other Servia midfielders and if Canada wasn't calling, he probably wouldn't be getting a Serbian call.

Edited by sose

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

What Canada needs most in a CB is a stay at home shut down right footed CB someone similar to Alistair Johnston but a bigger version. Haven't seen Holmes play. Can someone who has describe what type of player Tom is? I know this may be moot but...

I haven't seen him play, but he's 22 and been a regular starter for Reading the past 2 years.  The championship is such a competitive league that tests players week in and week out.  There's no weeks off.  

You're choosing a country, but also choosing a group of men to play with.  Holmes has his team mate Hoilett who's no doubt been telling Tom what a a great group of guys Canada are and what a tremendous coach Herdman is.  Holmes is a long shot for England.  

My biggest concern for Qatar is Vitoria picking up an injury weeks before the world cup and being unavailable to play.  Where does Canada go then?  Henry starting at the world cup?  Oh my.  If Holmes is truly eligible I hope we he's the surprise addition announced in a few days for the friendlies.  

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Am I the only one has a hard time getting excited about a player putting on the Maple Leaf when they need to look into the most obscure of technicalities for them to be allowed to play for us?

I mean England had no problem getting behind Hargreaves.  They even put up with his lame attempts at trying to speak with an English accent.

16 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Man can’t wait for the upcoming friendlies. I’m expecting 1 or 2 surprises.

Hopefully they'll be good surprises. So far it looks like it may be bad news: Hutch, Wotherspoon and  Buchanan still not playing. Kaye looking like he should be in a semi-pro league, and Osorio's mystery ailment. Herdman may have to call the 1986 midfield to come and fill in.

14 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Am I the only one has a hard time getting excited about a player putting on the Maple Leaf when they need to look into the most obscure of technicalities for them to be allowed to play for us?

I hear yah buddy, but do you see how our situation is trending?

And for me, I’m okay if it’s a young guy trying to commit to us vs a 27 yo who has no other options.

9 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Hopefully they'll be good surprises. So far it looks like it may be bad news: Hutch, Wotherspoon and  Buchanan still not playing. Kaye looking like he should be in a semi-pro league, and Osorio's mystery ailment. Herdman may have to call the 1986 midfield to come and fill in.

Buchanan and Wotherspoon are expected to be back soon and since they don’t play in MLS, they gonna have about 500 minutes of play only in clubs before the World Cup.

Hutch and Osorio are concerns.

We need Arfield to answer his call of duty.

Just now, MauditYvon said:

Buchanan and Wotherspoon are expected to be back soon and since they don’t play in MLS, they gonna have about 500 minutes of play only in clubs before the World Cup.

Hutch and Osorio are concerns.

We need Arfield to answer his call of duty.

I'm pretty sure Arfield retired from international duty lol. I think that's been answered and I'm an Arfield supporter.  

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

I hear yah buddy, but do you see how our situation is trending?

And for me, I’m okay if it’s a young guy trying to commit to us vs a 27 yo who has no other options.

How is it trending? A team of guys who at least (Wotherspoon aside) have all spent some time living in Canada qualified for the World Cup in style. Let's see what they can do on the big stage.

If we pick and choose anyone whose uncle's sister's cat once had to make an emergency landing in Timmins, we might as well not put the country's name on the jersey.

4 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

You guess pretty well, but the nation needs him.

I would hazard a guess if Arfield was presented with the opportunity to play in 2 friendlies in September and then play in the world cup  at this point he would say yes 100 times out of 100.  I don't think the ball is in his court.  

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

What Canada needs most in a CB is a stay at home shut down right footed CB someone similar to Alistair Johnston but a bigger version. Haven't seen Holmes play. Can someone who has describe what type of player Tom is? I know this may be moot but...

I believe there was a great summary of his style as well as videos a few pages back, or it might've been a link to another site that described all that.  In short, he's EXACTLY what we need.

44 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I have no issues whatsoever.  If England, France and Italy do it every chance they get and don't hesitate, why the hell should we?  If i'm being honest, I find it some what arrogant coming from a Canadian.  Who are we to question and challenge the norm in global soccer?

35 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

There's still almost 3 months to go for Qatar. As long as Hutch gets fit, trains with the 1st team and gets some mins he should be good to go. His experience is a big factor plus we know he will be  pumped. Oso could be a bigger issue if it's post concussion issues.

I don't see how Hutch - at his age - manages to shake the rust out of his legs.  This coming from a huge fan. His mind will be in the right place, but his body will not follow.  There is nothing I want to see more than Hutch play the world cup, but in all fairness and common sense it will be a 90th minute sub.