Pacific FC - 2022 Season

ted

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe should have posted this one:

https://canpl.ca/article/pacific-fc-defender-duran-lee-out-for-season-with-achilles-injury

Pacific FC announced on Thursday afternoon that fullback Duran Lee will miss the 2021 CPL season, having sustained a ruptured Achilles tendon in training recently...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

10 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Seems that there's a fair bit of interest from Soccer Canada in using this as a West Coast hub -which makes sense given all the Rugby Canada facilities. Expansion is probably more about that than Pacific right now.

Recent report about the dysfunction in Rugby Canada mentioned that the players didn't like being centralized in Langford. 

“Langford is not viewed as a positive place to live with it being framed as ‘expensive’ and ‘isolated."

But the mayor pushed back saying that’s not the feeling of the majority of people in Rugby Canada he has talked to the past 10 years, who are very happy with Langford. It’s not isolated. It’s a metro area of more than 400,000 people. And Vancouver is twice as expensive to live in and Toronto three times as expensive. It’s a year-round training venue. You can’t play rugby in five feet of snow.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:54 AM, red card said:

Recent report about the dysfunction in Rugby Canada mentioned that the players didn't like being centralized in Langford. 

“Langford is not viewed as a positive place to live with it being framed as ‘expensive’ and ‘isolated."

But the mayor pushed back saying that’s not the feeling of the majority of people in Rugby Canada he has talked to the past 10 years, who are very happy with Langford. It’s not isolated. It’s a metro area of more than 400,000 people. And Vancouver is twice as expensive to live in and Toronto three times as expensive. It’s a year-round training venue. You can’t play rugby in five feet of snow.

Southern Vancouver Island has the best year-round weather in Canada. 

I doubt any player in Victoria really feels isolated, as if they had to lilve in Langford (though Rugby Canada may have housing out there). 

Even so, I appreciate Victoria is lowkey, but it is a lot better place to lilve than 20 years ago in terms of amenities, services, diversity.

Love this alternative jersey Pacific FC, how time is its message, an important one I must say.

May be an image of text that says '2022 ALTERNATE KIT PREMER 本'

The salmon represents rejuvenation and resilience of the Indigenous people. The child's face is featured within the centre of the design and symbolizes the future of a more positive life ahead. 
Pacific FC is honoured to don the first Indigenous designed jersey in professional sports history in Canada & hopes to use their platform to support and create more awareness of Indigenous culture throughout the country. It is a reminder that more is still needed to be done for real truth and reconciliation.
a percentage of the proceeds of each jersey will be donated to Thii Hayqwtun's charity/s of choice at the end of the 2022 season.

13 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Love those ALternative jerseys too. Are these just a one off or will they be using them in other games this season 

I'm sure there will be further games where these are worn as these were not announced as one-off specials.

I personally do not like the jersey and think the whole premise is basically white-washing at its finest.

Then, it is not objectively attractive, it is more freaky than anything else. For example, I think it is actually an error to do an all-over, it does not respond to what a soccer shirt is supposed to do. Nor does it even respond to how motifs work on traditional indigenous clothing. It is exceptionally busy, with numerous things to question (black and white is not standard enough a scheme in N-W Coast culture to just plain rule out the PFC colours), however way you look at it. For me it is up there with the famous At Bilbao shirt also done by an artist, Dario Urzay, below.

Mind you I've seen this for most of my life, and have an opinion that's developed beyond lame gestures, including questioning former premises. I also happen to work with and know native artists, working contemporary, with or without references to traditions, so we can have the conversation. I'm not judging the artist, but I am not ruling out other interpretations.

I've cut out most of the post I wrote, but just curious: what sort of awareness and good feeling do we really need again, explain it to me slowly?

athletic-ketchup.jpg.f43c9026ead25a5cd202cff0e95dd43e.jpg

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I personally do not like the jersey and think the whole premise is basically white-washing at its finest.

Then, it is not objectively attractive, it is more freaky than anything else. For example, I think it is actually an error to do an all-over, it does not respond to what a soccer shirt is supposed to do. Nor does it even respond to how motifs work on traditional indigenous clothing. It is exceptionally busy, with numerous things to question (black and white is not standard enough a scheme in N-W Coast culture to just plain rule out the PFC colours), however way you look at it. For me it is up there with the famous At Bilbao shirt also done by an artist, Dario Urzay, below.

Mind you I've seen this for most of my life, and have an opinion that's developed beyond lame gestures, including questioning former premises. I also happen to work with and know native artists, working contemporary, with or without references to traditions, so we can have the conversation. I'm not judging the artist, but I am not ruling out other interpretations.

I've cut out most of the post I wrote, but just curious: what sort of awareness and good feeling do we really need again, explain it to me slowly?

athletic-ketchup.jpg.f43c9026ead25a5cd202cff0e95dd43e.jpg

Oh, and it expresses great cultural and spiritual meaning, but make sure the VW logo in the middle harmonises with the colour scheme, by all means.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't see any references toward "good feeling", but an awareness of the need for true reconciliation is sorely lacking in the part of Western Canada I live in. I don't know if the jersey helps at all, but it can't hurt.

I will defer to your expertise on its artistic merit.

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

I don't see any references toward "good feeling", but an awareness of the need for true reconciliation is sorely lacking in the part of Western Canada I live in. I don't know if the jersey helps at all, but it can't hurt.

I will defer to your expertise on its artistic merit.

Agreed. But jumping to Reconciliation and ignoring Justice while stonewalling on Truth. Who and what does that benefit? 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed. But jumping to Reconciliation and ignoring Justice while stonewalling on Truth. Who and what does that benefit? 

Wow, I didn't realize one football club was responsible for Justice. I am also unclear on what truth PFC has been stonewalling.

Does this, "fix" our Country? Of course not.

I thought that the club working with the local indigenous community for the last three years was a good thing.

I thought having a local indigenous artist create a visible statement on inclusivity was a good thing.

I thought that making a very public statement that brings the issues to the forefront was a good thing.

And as for the design, that is your right to dislike the design. Seeing it in person for me was amazing. I love the design and will get a numbered kit ASAP. The people in the stadium around me who lined up to buy them as no other kit ever seen before, also seemed to like them.

The opinion that matters to me is the one from a Lake Side Buoy of indigenous heritage who was moved beyond words. The joy in his eyes at seeing the design on the players moved me.