Pacific FC - 2022 Season

ted

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

3.5k average in a 10k stadium...another cpl stadium that will feel empty...

Will not feel nearly as empty as Forge or Valour. Besides 5000 is not too far off and there would still be lots of room for growth. 10 000 is a good number in my mind. 

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

3.5k average in a 10k stadium...another cpl stadium that will feel empty...

Depends on a lot of things. 

First, you can adjust prices downwards to get more in because you have the scale to do it. 

True, that hasn't worked in Hamilton, Winnipeg or Ottawa. Or at least maybe those stadiums are too big. 

You can also work hard on the Voyageur Cup fixtures, others in Concacaf where you draw better. 

They may also use those seats for concerts, festivals, and then rugby. 

Langford is a poor location for walk up and

On 6/30/2022 at 2:24 PM, narduch said:

Camera angles 

Maybe it's not clear from the broadcasts and for anyone who hasn't been to Starlight, but placing cameras in the southern stands would only raise them up by a maximum of about 3-4m at best from the current platforms on the north side.

Given the shitty stadiums around CONCACAF and the pathetic video production, suggesting that this change would be forced by CONCACAF is, to put it politely, highly unlikely.

The Hydro pole is moving. New stands are coming. The camera angles will be raised in 2023. Can we just stop with the whining that won't change anything? Thanks.

Edited by ted
typo

1 minute ago, ted said:

Maybe it's not clear from the broadcasts and for anyone who hasn't been to Starlight, but placing cameras in the southern stands would only raise them up by a maximum of about 3-4m at best from the current platforms on the north side.

Given the shitty stadiums around CONCACAF and the pathetic video production, suggesting that this change would be forced by CONCACAF is, to put it politely, highly unlikely.

The Hydro pole is moving. New stands are coming. The camera angles will be raised in 2023. Can we just stop with the whining that won't change anything? Thanks.

Concacaf standards are higher than you give them credit for.

They often force teams to play at the larger National stadiums in their country because the smaller club teams stadiums don't cut it.

They also didn't allow NYCFC to play at a baseball stadium for Champions League. 

6 hours ago, ted said:

The highlight images are the absolutely worst. I don't think I've ever seen worse visuals, maybe only youth matches shot from a sideline platform. But even then, the light's a mess, the sheen, they don't know how to narrow the frame on the main camera, you really can't enjoy them. 

It's not whining, it's a supposedly nice stadium that looks poor. 

For women's rugby 7s they get it right because the 7s series has proper broadcast standards. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The highlight images are the absolutely worst. I don't think I've ever seen worse visuals, maybe only youth matches shot from a sideline platform. But even then, the light's a mess, the sheen, they don't know how to narrow the frame on the main camera, you really can't enjoy them. 

It's not whining, it's a supposedly nice stadium that looks poor. 

For women's rugby 7s they get it right because the 7s series has proper broadcast standards. 

Are you still watching highlights from 2019? It has drastically improved, and while not ideal I don’t find it to be nearly as bad as it was 

• 2 weeks later...

After next week's game Pacific's schedule get's really congested but hopefully going into September/October there's a clear strongest backline and some consistency gets built up. Defensively the team needs to improve if they want to be a top team again.

Last year they didn't have nearly as much depth in the back so they were able to field the same back 6 for most games.

I was at Starlight on Monday, walked right in and ended up having a conversation. 

I'm not sure I found out a few things or not, so wondering: has the layout of the new stand been explained fully? I guess some here have the info, but not sure. 

If not, I can explain what I was told.

They were putting down Canadian football lines when I was there. I also heard the news about Rugby Canada.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not sure I found out a few things or not, so wondering: has the layout of the new stand been explained fully? I guess some here have the info, but not sure. 

If not, I can explain what I was told.

Please share. So far they have only been saying it's happening without giving any details other than possibly pre-fab modules from the same supplier who did the West stand.

3 hours ago, ted said:

Please share. So far they have only been saying it's happening without giving any details other than possibly pre-fab modules from the same supplier who did the West stand.

OK, I really did not want to repeat what you guys already knew. 

Won't say who I spoke to but it was someone related to the stadium, not the club. 

1st, what we already know, they'll start the new stand in February. The hydro pole goes across the street, the adjacent poles have to be redone for the new angle, apparently the city is paying and anyways, dealing with BCHydro isn't easy they say. 

They mentioned the former supplier of the wooden stands from Italy as possible, but also that the previous decision for a publicly funded infrastructure was done without a proper public tender (!!). No implication of illegality but perhaps a discretionary decision they can't or won't repeat. There's not really time to do a proper call if that's true, however. Let's leave that in the air, not enough info. 

It does make you wonder if the ambiguity from Friend about the stands in Langley is related to having to do a proper tender, so you can't just say "these guys!" when spending public money. 

The stands will start right at the end stand and wrap around that corner, north west corner I guess. Then they can only run down that sideline along the Parkway until where the little wooden platform is for cameras. The one toward the east end, around 30m from the end. The reason for this is that there are natural gas (or gas of some sort) installations underground on that corner and they can't build permanently there. Which I find hilarious, 1st the pole then the gas, it's like trying to build in historic Rome, only our archeology is industrial. 

No idea of the height. 

Then, you know that wooden structure to the left of the end stand, which you enter it by? Fit in to connect just above where those few rows of temporary metallic stands are below? That will go at the east end of the new stand, with an apparently similar function (or maybe he meant that they'd do a similar structure over there, which would make sense; beer garden then in that corner?).

No word on your end, Ted, forgot to ask. 

Friend has left definitively, it's just Josh and whoever now for Pacific. 

They were putting down CFL lines, it fits except they slightly shorten the end zones. The soccer pitch they recognize as regulation but narrow, 65 or 66 m, but even though there's a bit of space they need a minimum leeway for static advertising, as per CPL standards, I think, and won't widen it. That's fine imo, it'll feel tight in there. Putting lines down and taking them off seems to be quite quick, I asked about it but the important thing is they could do quick turnarounds for other sports if they wanted. 

Mentioning this as they'll lose women's 7s rugby next year, a big loss in terms of international events. It's going to BC Place and they're pairing women's and men's 7s in super events in other venues as well. 

One guy said to me: "You know what I don't get?" I answered: "Why are they expanding a stadium they can't fill as is?" And they smiled and nodded. 

I was reminded just how far out Langford is. Anything else? 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No word on your end, Ted, forgot to ask. 

As we understand it, basically no change. We were told they just cannot build anything in that end due to the small space. Currently our bleachers are actually on the turf and hey will not build over the paced section between the turf and the bowling alley.

Anyway, thanks for that. Clearly we need to talk to Municipal people, not the club leadership. LOL

8 minutes ago, ted said:

As we understand it, basically no change. We were told they just cannot build anything in that end due to the small space. Currently our bleachers are actually on the turf and hey will not build over the paced section between the turf and the bowling alley.

Anyway, thanks for that. Clearly we need to talk to Municipal people, not the club leadership. LOL

If they move the cameras to the other side, once they have a stand behind the pitch, you may want to move anyways. Otherside you'd not be seen. It'd make sense as they won't be pointing south anymore, the lighting would be better as well. So maybe that far corner, the exact opposite of where you are, might work better for your visibility as a supporter group.

Now if that corner does not officially exist yet you may find it hard to negotiate.

@Unnamed Trialist thanks for the info. I'm happy to hear the stands will wrap around the corner. I know you dislike elements of the current stadium design and the community, but I really am quite pleased with how supportive of this project they've been. I doubt we'd have a team otherwise. It seems they're planning for continued growth.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So maybe that far corner, the exact opposite of where you are, might work better for your visibility as a supporter group.

We have been talking about that because we would like to be at that end of the ground and not looking directly into the sun for late evening games. We honestly don't give a crap about "visibility", well it would be nice when we do tifo, but generally we are more concerned with noise and being in that end we feel would allow our sound to echo better. However it is a long tradition to supporters groups  the crappiest of the cheap seats. LOL