Pacific FC - 2022 Season

ted

Questions!

1. Can this team win CONCACAF League which will be the last edition this year?
  2. Can this team win the Canadian Championship and represent Canada at the CCL?

My answer - if healthy, 1 of the 2 statements is likely.

Where would you rank this club compared to these

• 2019 Cavalry (Utter domination + eliminating the Whitecaps)
  • 2021 Forge (CONCACAF Run and pushing MTL to the limit)
  • 2022 Pacific (Stronger than the 2021 edition in my opinion)

1. I know little to nothing about CONCACAF League but I think Pacific will struggle with the added games and travel.

2. The finals will likely involve either Montreal (who are currently a top MLS team) or TFC (who may have sorted themselves out by then). Whichever team makes it that far will have a tough time against those two opponents.

Not meaning to come across as pessimistic towards Pacific, they are a top CPL club. The biggest problem is that they lost 5 important players this off season and none of the replacements aside from Didic are at the same level.

9 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

1. I know little to nothing about CONCACAF League but I think Pacific will struggle with the added games and travel.

I suspect this will be the case. My hope is simply that we don't embarrass ourselves in our first international competition and gain some valuable team experience.

I thought in pre-season Pacific would struggle as they didn't look like they had fully replaced the outgoings and for a CONCACAF campaign added in they just didn't have the depth. Players have stepped up though and while the squad is likely still somewhat light for CONCACAF they have proved any doubts wrong.

Young is still growing but has filled the hole left by Hojabrpour. What is the deal with Umaro Balde? Is he injured, awaiting a work visa or just not playing? He seemed like potentially a hell of a pick up at the time.

Dada-Luke (who has been a revelation) and Mavinga add great balance and Didic was an excellent pick up and adds a bit more solidarity, calm and consistency to MacNaughton's front foot and full blooded performances. 

Jury is still out on Daniels and Binate. I think to follow Forges lead Pacific just needs to pad out with a few more younger talents and likely will add them or more experience closer to the Concacaf games. They are doing just fine right now. 

My personal opinion is that the best team in CPL I have seen was Cavalry in the first year. They just lost a bit of competitive edge in the playoffs, but for me they were the best team almost all that year.

Forge is likely paying for having done an early pre-season and their CL run. I also wonder if a certain level of success is always hard to sustain and that maybe Bobby really needs to get an offer and move on, sooner than later.

Pacific may very well have some poorer results with the Concacaf travel, just look at Seattle doing poorly in MLS but winning the region's major trophy. Mind you, Pacific as with most CPL teams are fairly used to long travel. 

On 5/15/2022 at 8:58 PM, toontownman said:

I thought in pre-season Pacific would struggle as they didn't look like they had fully replaced the outgoings and for a CONCACAF campaign added in they just didn't have the depth. Players have stepped up though and while the squad is likely still somewhat light for CONCACAF they have proved any doubts wrong.

I don't know. I haven't been particularly impressed with any of our second choice players this year, particularly in attack. I'm not sure where goals come from other than Diaz, Bustos, Heard, and Manny

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I don't know. I haven't been particularly impressed with any of our second choice players this year, particularly in attack. I'm not sure where goals come from other than Diaz, Bustos, Heard, and Manny

Still grinding out the results though that's the main thing. Given their pedigree I think there is a higher expectation on Dos Santos and Daniels to be big contributors, they haven't been so far, Binate was rated too. Hopefully they step up when the time comes. 

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Sure, but four goal scorers this far in is actually pretty good. 

We are missing the Terran Campbell type goal this year, or at least as a variation.

Since the starters are fresh, it makes sense to go with them still. But I do agree Merriman will need to get more of the squad into games, which will benefit us as the season progresses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Stadium expanding to 10k next April/May. Still tons of backing from Langford's mayor Stew Young. I'm scared to think what happens to this team if he gets voted out in the fall. At least the deal with BC Hydro, and to expand the stadium is already made 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Saw this story and I was wondering if Concacaf will force the camera to the other side for the upcoming Concacaf League match.

Why on earth would CONCACAF want to show the Hydro Pole and no seats?!?