Pacific FC - 2022 Season

ted

6 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

Anyone know who the AM was in the second half? At first I thought it was Aparicio but I think Manny only played the first half. I forgot how bad having a track field is; that or my vision is really starting to go :( 

I thought Manny played the second half?  LOL

After being raided by Forge and losing players for various reasons, plus the coach, Pacific has responded very well. I think the roster on paper looks really strong.

Have to remember that the team benefitted from the easier start last year, with limited travel. This year it is back to the worst travel schedule in the league along with HFX, so it could be a factor to keep in mind. 

1-0 over U Vic is not very good though, we'd like to hear reports on games from those there.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

1-0 over U Vic is not very good though, we'd like to hear reports on games from those there.

On the one, single, friendly that we know about? It was kinda meh. The Vikes played as a team with young players hoping to impress/prove something. Our guys looked tentative and unsure of each other and frankly without jersey numbers it was hard to keep track of all the new faces and who was doing what as the team was swapped out wholesale at half time. 

There were some encouraging flashes but I'm glad we have a couple more weeks to prepare for the opening game.

Yeah not a lot to go on with just one game against a university side. A lot of it was played around the middle of the field with Pacific cycling through possession and U Vic sitting back in a low block. For players who did see a lot of the ball Habibullah seems to need more time getting used to his teammates as the off ball movement for him wasn't really on the same page; Young looked hesitant, needing that extra second to process his decisions; Samake had a lot of action in possession - maybe he takes MacNaughton's place as the QB in the back over Didic/TMG; dos Santos had lots of opportunities but just couldn't make the final pass/finish. 

Pacific looks like they'll play a similar style to previous years which shouldn't be too surprising. No Bustos, hopefully he's not injured.

18 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I'm afraid to ask, but has there been any movement/rumours on the BC Hydro pole *finally* being moved? I think Pacific is going to have a great year, and I'd hate to see their broadcasts still hampered by the low angle. 

I think it’s planned for sometime this year but not before the season starts, which seems silly. I really shouldn’t complain but why wasn’t it done when it wouldn’t disrupt matches 

32 minutes ago, Ftduck said:

I'm obviously ignorant to the situation but can anyone explain why it's so hard to get a hydro pole moved? Is it connected to the core of the earth!?!

There's not really anywhere to redirect the lines to so I believe they need to be buried (which is expensive). The stadium is in a narrow corridor between two lakes, and the railway is on the opposite side of the road

1 hour ago, Ftduck said:

I'm obviously ignorant to the situation but can anyone explain why it's so hard to get a hydro pole moved? Is it connected to the core of the earth!?!

Basically because it is not just your run-of-the-mill , wooden, on-street hydro pole that can be swapped out in a day. It is a main line that supplies power to the entire city. Add to that the tight location mentioned above and it is a costly move.

2 hours ago, ted said:

Basically because it is not just your run-of-the-mill , wooden, on-street hydro pole that can be swapped out in a day. It is a main line that supplies power to the entire city. Add to that the tight location mentioned above and it is a costly move.

People who have not been there don't get it, I understand. 

First, you'd have to put up an alternative pole somewhere, and that is not so clear. Each pole is about 150-200 m apart, maybe less. You'd have to install another one and the only place to do it would be across the street, and even then, it'd be a displacement of 40-50 m.

Then, you'd have to set up an alternative set of cables and attach to that pole, from either side. Then, disconnect our pole and reconnect to and make operable to the new one. 

But that is rarely done in hydro lines. The whole point is that if the lines are to curve, it is done gradually over very  many towers to reduce lateral pressure and also the risk of the lines running in laterally to the conductors; I'm not sure if these have bundled conductor but I think they do, so that is heavy and ideally run in and out straight. 

If you want to redirect the line entirely, it would affect maybe up to 10 poles over a km. If you want to go underground, that is an entirely different operation and you'd still have to come above ground at some point, because those lines are running from the city of Langford north for quite a long distance. 

Because this area is being developed, but quickly and recently, it'd make sense to go underground, but that is effectively changing an entire concept of lines meant for a relatively unpopulated area. And it would ideally involve doing a few kilometres worth at least.

That's Horgan's riding I think, if he wanted to prioritise spending on transmission cable installation in his riding he could, but I am not sure that is the sort of thing a Premier wants or can easily defend in Parliament as his riding legacy.

19 yo midfielder who has played for Portugal youth teams in past seasons, and came through the Rangers and Sporting Lisbon youth systems.

Between this signing and Djenairo Daniels, it definitely seems that Pacific is going for it. High potential signings that have fallen out of favour at clubs with pedigree. Similar approach as York United it seems.

A quick twitter browse shows that there were some decent expectations for him at Rangers. However, there was a period of time where youth football in Scotland was suspended due to COVID and this could've been the reason for Balde leaving.

Looks like he recently joined the same player agency that represents new teammate Gianni dos Santos: Prestige Sports out of the Netherlands. This is how they described the player:

"Umaro Baldé (19) signs with Prestige Sports and has joined the Prestige Family. Umaro Baldé is a defensive midfielder with box-to-box qualities. Baldé was already part of the youth academy of Sporting Lisbon at a very young age. About three years ago he was taken over by the Scottish top club Rangers FC. Although the Portuguese youth player was developing well and had the option to extend his stay with the historic Scottish top club, he ultimately declined the club's offer to extend his contract.

The Portuguese with roots in Guinea Bissau is 1.70m tall and is right-footed. Umaro Baldé has a calm personality that you also see on the field, he is very comfortable with the ball. However, he is also a very dynamic player. All this in combination with his high passing accuracy and strong mentality makes him a very interesting player. We are therefore excited to attract such a talented player. Umaro has enormous potential, a great work ethic and a great drive and ambition to become better and more successful. These are the top people we are looking for to guide and manage."

Edited by Pottsy3