Pacific FC - 2022 Season

ted

Credit to Merriman for getting the team back on track. Instead of us stalling and slipping mid-season, they've sorted out the downturn and started winning again. 

Personally, I prefer CSL scheduling having all the teams with the same no of games for the final push of the season. We have 10 left, Forge 13. By the end of August, if I calculate right, we'll both have 6 left--only that there's a Forge-Pacific they'll have to reschedule if Pacific get to the next Concacaf round.

Pacific actually play three league and three international matches in August if we win vs. the Jamaicans on Tuesday.

I might post the stats later in the season but I think a big part of that mid-season slip was due to Aparicio, Haynes and Young all getting injured in that York game.

August is either going to be tough or really tough for Pacific depending on how Concacaf goes. I don't think it's a cakewalk for any team right now though, injuries and fatigue are taking their toll and the heat isn't helping. September looks great for Pacific though, 3 out of 4 games are at home, all games on weekends. Should help set them up for the final push.

Edited by davey_twelve

21 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

I might post the stats later in the season but I think a big part of that mid-season slip was due to Aparicio, Haynes and Young all getting injured in that York game.

August is either going to be tough or really tough for Pacific depending on how Concacaf goes. I don't think it's a cakewalk for any team right now though, injuries and fatigue are taking their toll and the heat isn't helping. September looks great for Pacific though, 3 out of 4 games are at home, all games on weekends. Should help set them up for the final push.

I think an interesting thing about the league is that teams that have done well don't rely on the same players to excel. For example, for me the best player first year was Carducci, he's solid but no one values him in the same way. Borges for Forge, Bustos for Pacific. 

So despite losing key players, the best player from last year is not really the best this year. Sure, some say he's not gotten back from the injury yet, but I am not clear about that.

So it is a bit odd, because normally good teams have leading players who are consistent and become classics from year to year (maybe Bekker is the closest we have, Carducci too, for me one or the other could be "best player to play in the CPL". But Bustos could get himself back into the conversation. 

On 8/1/2022 at 7:21 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

So it is a bit odd, because normally good teams have leading players who are consistent and become classics from year to year (maybe Bekker is the closest we have, Carducci too, for me one or the other could be "best player to play in the CPL". But Bustos could get himself back into the conversation. 

I agree and I think it's because being a lead player in a top league you have to be at least consistently good, if not great, every week. In a lower league those types of consistent players get scooped up to the next level (I think Bekker is the exception).

Looking at Pacific wingers this year, both dos Santos and Bustos have looked like elite players in this league on some nights but they've also had some real sub-par performances. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Diaz in the near future.

PFC record (league play only) with Aparicio in the lineup: 7-3-1, 24 pts from a possible 33, 2.18 ppg 

Without Aparicio (injury, suspension): 2-2-3, 8pts from a possible 21, 1.14 ppg 

Highlights don’t show all the work he does. Comparing to the Caps players, he’s like Gauld, Teibert and Cubas rolled into one.  Always impressed.

(Also, if Bustos and Dos Santos ever learned to consistently play the simplest and quickest ball like Heard does, we would score 6 every week.

Edited by shorty

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Heard is easily the top player of this team

This is a very good argument to have, but it is almost like we are playing with definitions...most outstanding v most valuable, etc.

Heard has been the biggest surprise for me. I wasn't really very impressed with him in USL and my expectations were low when Pacific signed him. The fact that he is now in the conversation with Aparicio and Bustos as the most important/valuable/top (however you want to describe it) player, is a testament to his progress.

Looking a bit at the Herediano press. 

They are confident but the result vs Waterhouse does make them pay a bit more attention. Another factor is that Waterhouse took them out in penalties in Concacaf a few years ago. So they are optimistic but cautious.

This rival is going to be far tougher. They are undefeated and lead their group in the Apertura, after just three games however. Have not received a goal. So that is another factor, they are just getting going this part of the season. They won the CR SuperCup in what seems to have been a rough game, with yellows and reds, just 3 weeks ago.

Edit: they'll play the return leg at Saprissa stadium, with a synthetic pitch, and not their home stadium, not sure the reason. At the same time the Concacaf u-20 womens championship is going on at the National Stadium in S José.

Saprissa is just half a km from where the Heredia neighbourhood and Herediano stadium are.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 hours ago, narduch said:

I wonder if the league match in Halifax on August 20 will be postponed.

The Forge Match on the 16th will have to be for sure but they played a game in between the two Jamaica games so I doubt the 20th will be. They will probably do the reverse of what they did for Jamaica and fly to Halifax for the game on the 20th and then fly to Costa Rica without coming home for the game on the  23rd.

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just learned about the existence of these cards that were apparently given out as promos early in the team’s existence.  If  anyone has a set that they would trade or sell, please let me know via PM   Would love to get a set - or individual cards if that was the only option  

13CB55A4-3F61-4CB8-97F2-BA36D869B2AA.jpeg

Done.

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

On the latest Northern Futbol podcast they said that Diaz will probably transfer out in the off-season.

Pacific are already looking for a replacement.

That would be really unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected. Did they suggest Mexico or elsewhere? I know he has a kid on the way

1 minute ago, narduch said:

They said both Europe or Mexico.

He may simply be playing himself off the team with performances so good.

I hope he lands himself a decent contract somewhere. He's been fantastic this season, and particularly recently. I think he has 9 goals in our last 4 matches.