Pacific FC - 2022 Season

ted

It sucks for Pacific but it's amazing for the league and the club's finances.

""In a follow-up post made by Kristian Jack, the CPL staffer revealed that the terms of the deal were ‘close to a record for the league’ and also include performance add-ons along with a significant sell-on fee, too.""

Edited by P-O

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Second tier in Norway and a small town way up a fjord in the middle of nowhere seems like a step sideways. Will be interesting to hear the background to why Pacific FC agreed to this when they have a CONCACAF League run underway and are very much in the hunt for a second league title.

It's the same level that Patrick Metcalfe moved to, and is an every game starter at. While I'm sure he would be a good player, I wouldn't expect Metcalfe to be a world beater at the CPL level.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Will be interesting to hear the background to why Pacific FC agreed to this when they have a CONCACAF League run underway and are very much in the hunt for a second league title.

It's not hard to figure out: $$$

36 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Could we not have gotten something similar in the offseason? We're still in the thick of two competitions. It's hard to see how this is a good deal for Pacific, in spite of the fee.

European Leagues are starting their seasons and want to fill their rosters. It will ever be thus. We don't have the luxury to ask players to wait until the January transfer window.

Sucks to have him go before he Costa Rica games but I'm looking forward to seeing more of Daniels.

4 minutes ago, ted said:

It's not hard to figure out: $$$

European Leagues are starting their seasons and want to fill their rosters. It will ever be thus. We don't have the luxury to ask players to wait until the January transfer window.

Sucks to have him go before he Costa Rica games but I'm looking forward to seeing more of Daniels.

Isn't Norway midseason? Regardless, I think it's important to consider all the options, particularly without giving up our best player midseason. Laugh all you want 

8 minutes ago, ted said:

European Leagues are starting their seasons and want to fill their rosters.

While that's true for most leagues, Norway started in early April and is 19 matches in.

It seems that this was just a case of striking while the iron's hot.

50 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Isn't Norway midseason? Regardless, I think it's important to consider all the options, particularly without giving up our best player midseason. Laugh all you want 

I guess, but that isn't really the point and, in fact, simply makes it more urgent that they take him now.

I laughed because to think that we have any option to delay a transfer for any reason is farcical. Maybe when more players have been sold and we have a reputation for providing good "products" we might be able to ask them to wait longer than a day or two.

I think Sogndal had Simon Thomas for a while?

Anyways, I follow Norwegian football and the Obosligaen (2nd division) is pretty crap standard.  But there is a bit more money in the 1st Division and lots of players get noticed by bigger sides like Rosenborg, Molde (and now, Bodo/Glimt) as well as Belgium & Dutch teams.  How Sogndal is able to pay a transfer fee blows my mind though.

Responding a bit: 

First, that transfer fee is not that high, there is money in Norway. I suppose from TV, sponsors...their stadium holds under 6000, but they do have a history in top flight.

I think I researched a bit about Norway 1st tier salaries last year when Bair was at HamKam in 2nd, in a promotion race. Think we were talking about something like 70-80 thousand euros as a good base, with many fairly higher, hundreds of thousands for the better players, but don't remember. 

2nd tier, probably better but not that much than the CPL.

I'd imagine for Wero to go now he would have been offered a significant pay increase. Maybe over 100,000 euros a year?

It is still a major loss as the team is debilitated at a critical moment. 

And hey, @Ozzie_the_parrot, "...way up a fjord in the middle of nowhere..." is the sort of statement no Canadian would ever make without a serious dose of irony.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Hopeful Valour fan here: Are any Pacific fans worried about maintaining their playoff spot now with the demands of the additional CONCACAF matches and the loss of Diaz?

I think you're fine (I don't think Valour really has a shot but if they do it will be Cavalry dropping out) but Diaz was the key component of Pacific's attack, a better pure finisher than anyone else in the league this season or any other.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Hopeful Valour fan here: Are any Pacific fans worried about maintaining their playoff spot now with the demands of the additional CONCACAF matches and the loss of Diaz?

There is definitely a segment who see it as the sky is falling, ie. we are done in CL and our playoff hopes are dashed.

I, on the other hand, am looking forward to Daniels stepping up and he and Heard getting it done. :)

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think you're fine (I don't think Valour really has a shot but if they do it will be Cavalry dropping out) but Diaz was the key component of Pacific's attack, a better pure finisher than anyone else in the league this season or any other.

I spent a while today musing about the scenario where Pacific request Ongaro or Wright on loan from the Caps. I hope it doesn't happen, it'd be ugly. 

The most logical scenario has everyone else step up and the guy in Wero's position being even half as effective finishing.

As for the playoffs, coming up in the next 2 fixtures, the top four have critical matches against each other, while Valour has 2 matches against weaker teams. I don't think it's a done deal in any direction yet.