Pacific FC - 2022 Season

ted

Yup. time to start thinking about defending our title next year.

Will PMK stay? Will Bustos rehab and return to prove his worth or move on? Will the Hydro Pole finally move and a North stand be built? Will Dean and Rob forget about us as they build a new side in Langley (or elsewhere)?

These and so many more questions on the upcoming season of WE...ARE...TOP OF THE LEAGUE, SAY WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE! ;)

If PMK moves on (which I'm not quite ready for), I hope Merriman get's given the opportunity. He's been integral to this club since the very start. I'll add a couple more quetions...

1. Do any local players like Adam Straith or Callum Montgomery return to the island?
  2. Do any players get sold or moved up to a higher level?
  3. Will the sausage and onion to bun ratio improve at the concession?

5 hours ago, ted said:

I doubt it. The League would not permit long-term contracts so he probably left on a free transfer.

This doesn't seem to be true, HFX signed a number of players to 2 year contracts (plus one or two years of club options) last year and York United have signed their young players to multi-year contracts and this from Cavalry's signing of Joe Mason last year, " Cavalry FC signs forward Joe Mason (ENG) to the roster on a multi-year deal for the upcoming season of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) on a free transfer from Milton Keynes Dons.'

I agree that Blasco probably left on a free.

3 hours ago, StillOnFire said:

Patrick Metcalfe hasn't had his contract extended with Vancouver Whitecaps.  He would make a good signing for Pacific.

I know it was a long time ago, but I remember him being a spotty bench player for Whitecaps 2 behind a lot of current Pacific/CPL guys, and he's barely played since. Has he improved a lot since then... enough to win a spot over our current midfield?

47 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I know it was a long time ago, but I remember him being a spotty bench player for Whitecaps 2 behind a lot of current Pacific/CPL guys, and he's barely played since. Has he improved a lot since then... enough to win a spot over our current midfield?

Well, he started and went 89 minutes in the WC midfield in the loss to Pacific. He had a very underwhelming 14 appearances for the Caps this year including 4 starts. I can't think of anything he does particularly well - he is 5/10 or less across the board. 

22 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Well, he started and went 89 minutes in the WC midfield in the loss to Pacific. He had a very underwhelming 14 appearances for the Caps this year including 4 starts. I can't think of anything he does particularly well - he is 5/10 or less across the board. 

Just-another-guy type of Cancon signing.  Might do well in CPL after his experience in MLS.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:48 PM, SthMelbRed said:

PMK stil enjoying himself.....

I was really hoping this would end with him dropping it and it smashing.  It's fun to see him celebrating, but that serving dish is a terrible, terrible trophy - errrr, shield.  Although I do enjoy the play on words with 'Canadian Shield' it just really looks amateurish.  It's not really something one would long for.  

• 2 weeks later...

Bustos and MacNaughton agreed but Blasco was very unimpressive to me this past year. Lots of stepovers going nowhere and insisting on taking free kicks that weren’t dangerous or well placed. Every time he took the ball from Manny or Ollie for a free kick I winced. 

To be honest, PFC played more of the season without Bustos too. Lucas would be the biggest loss, in my opinion, but in season one I wouldn’t have guessed he would become as indispensable. Similarly at the Island Games Samake was tragic but he became quite strong, so who knows? Maybe he fills Lucas’ shoes next year. 

Happy to see Lucas get the opportunity and the recognition.  He’s earned it.