WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

7 minutes ago, sose said:

Is Arfield going to get called? he hasn't been playing much this year.

But his leadership, and his experience in places like the Azteca, and Kingston is so valuable….wait he’s never played there. 

Umm even if he only played 35 mins in his teams last 10 games, he should still be fit and capable to play 45 mins in Concacaf high altitude or hot humid weather because the SPL is far superior and has prepared him for these moments.

Beat someone to the point.  

50 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah,  I have come to grips with the fact that they are strong enough to get 2nd this cycle.  Thus I am hoping they win all their remaining games except away to us.  As much as it will be difficult to stomach the constant chants of “USA! USA!”, the reality is that our chance of getting the 3rd spot goes up if they run over the other teams we are competing with.

Exactly my thoughts as well. When the US started with 2 draws and then had to go to Honduras, I was starting to think maybe there were 2 automatic spots up for grabs instead of just 1. But, their result in Honduras was impressive, and I don't mind if they finish 2nd. The US being a strong 2nd helps keep the other teams at bay, which helps us in the race for 3rd.

4 minutes ago, jtpc said:

Exactly my thoughts as well. When the US started with 2 draws and then had to go to Honduras, I was starting to think maybe there were 2 automatic spots up for grabs instead of just 1. But, their result in Honduras was impressive, and I don't mind if they finish 2nd. The US being a strong 2nd helps keep the other teams at bay, which helps us in the race for 3rd.

The first half in Honduras was not impressive at all .. out of the 3 matches that they played i think they had one very good half.. the rest were average/below average.  They ended on such a high note and salvaged their window.  If they had opened up the first of the 3 matches against El Salvador the way they ended the Honduras match, but then had draws in the last 2 matches and played lack luster, we might be thinking that their spot is up for grabs still.

I think the USs two best strikers are Zardes and Pepi. Zardes gets hated on by USMNT fans because he's an MLSer but I think they will be better off with him there vs Sargent for example. 

Midfield might really struggle with no Pulisic and Reyna though. Again, not much creativity there but they will be well organized and tough to crack

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Anyone else noticed they slipped the US ahead of Canada in the standings in that release, despite Canada actually being ahead on head-to-head away goals?  Lol.

32 minutes ago, jtpc said:

Agree especially since we have already played the US away

7 hours ago, costarg said:

I'm torn on this one, not sure who I prefer to gain/lose points between the US and Jamaica/Panama.  This might create more parity for the 2-4 spots.

Normally, I wouldn't mind the US dropping points, but I feel like it's more beneficial to us if Panama and Jamaica come away from those matches with nothing. I think I'd rather see some space between us and Panama than have the States, us, and Panama all around the same, with Jamaica getting closer.

Edited by jtpc

13 hours ago, Floortom said:

Does anyone know if Jamaica received permission to have fans at their next home match against us? They were looking for approval for 15k fans but I can't find anything on the decision.... the match is 11 days away. It's certainly cutting it close if they're still working through it. 

With a country like that, those island governments work at a different pace that what we are used to up here, nothing would surprise me with what they do and the timeline to do it. 

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Also interesting that they say its just the squad to face the states. Wonder if they will have some changes for us? 

Apparently a few players like Ravel Morrison cant travel to the US due to VISA issues.

I'm surprised Liam Moore and especially Shemar Nicholson were called in