WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

Just now, Ngravs said:

I don’t “expect” to win any games on the road and Jamaica is desperate for points so getting a draw down there would be great IMO. My optimism is also in relation to Mexico and the US getting results that would be favourable to us.

I think six is optimistic; four is acceptable, 7 is a hell yeah; 9 is OMG book a trip to Qatar....anything less than four is what the hell happened? 

List of players called up by Panama

Only 7 of the 27 selected players play in the local league. And although the rest do not play for big clubs, the team have integrated and cohesive well . It has a lot to do with Christiansen's work. Panama like Canada has a difficult schedule.

Edited by xabuep2

39 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

List of players called up by Panama

Only 7 of the 27 selected players play in the local league. And although the rest do not play for big clubs, the team have integrated and cohesive well . It has a lot to do with Christiansen's work. Panama like Canada has a difficult schedule.

Aside from their last window, Panama has been pretty poor in 2021. I'd be disappointed if we don't dispatch them easily at BMO.

As an aside how the hell are they calling up a guy from the Japanese 3rd division? That has to be borderline amateur.

So with Cav and Larin both probably out (and Ayo still on long term injury leave), what are our options at striker for this window?  David is obviously one of the first names on the team sheet, but after that we are definitely thin.  

Hoilett being played up top is an option - especially if Herdman chooses not to take a bigger squad this time.  Maybe others can be played out of position there as well - Buchanan, Millar (if he gets the call), etc.

It seems crazy to hand someone their first cap in a crucial WCQ game,  but Ennin is playing regularly in the Russian Premier League so has to at least be in contention for a call up.  Hard to argue against the idea that a guy playing at that level could probably do a decent job against Panama or Jamaica.

Tesho earned a GC call up and must be ahead of some of the other contenders in our 2nd tier.  As a big, strong and experienced veteran, he is a pretty safe option to have around.  

Then there is a guy like Jebbison   We still have no idea if he would even accept a call, but picking up the phone and inviting him might be an option.

I am sure I will miss some, but after that the pool gets pretty thin. I can’t see us going further down the depth chart to guys like Ongaro, Bair, or even Ricketts (he’s gotta done given his lack of playing time, right?).  

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Going into the oct many people had Panama as last place. Looking at the rosters and the first three games I’d say Panama are better than El Salvador. Then again how good are the Venezuelan, Bolivian, Peruvian and Panamanian leagues where much of Panama’s roster is from? 

Honestly after watching the last 2 Forge games one in person, and one on TV, Independiente weren't great at all. Then again two years ago they beat TFC handily. 

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So with Cav and Larin both probably out (and Ayo still on long term injury leave), what are our options at striker for this window?  David is obviously one of the first names on the team sheet, but after that we are definitely thin.  

Hoilett being played up top is an option - especially if Herdman chooses not to take a bigger squad this time.  Maybe others can be played out of position there as well - Buchanan, Millar (if he gets the call), etc.

It seems crazy to hand someone their first cap in a crucial WCQ game,  but Ennin is playing regularly in the Russian Premier League so has to at least be in contention for a call up.  Hard to argue against the idea that a guy playing at that level could probably do a decent job against Panama or Jamaica.

Tesho earned a GC call up and must be ahead of some of the other contenders in our 2nd tier.  As a big, strong and experienced veteran, he is a pretty safe option to have around.  

Then there is a guy like Jebbison   We still have no idea if he would even accept a call, but picking up the phone and inviting him might be an option.

I am sure I will miss some, but after that the pool gets pretty thin. I can’t see us going further down the depth chart to guys like Ongaro, Bair, or even Ricketts (he’s gotta done given his lack of playing time, right?).  

Isn't that how Cavailini got his first cap on that not to be mentioned day in Honduras? 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think it's safe to say one of Buchanan and/or Davies could play there. With our depth on the flanks I'd be comfortable with Adekgube coming in to start at LWB/LB.

I don't see us reaching down the depth chart for a CF.  

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think it's safe to say one of Buchanan and/or Davies could play there. With our depth on the flanks I'd be comfortable with Adekgube coming in to start at LWB/LB.

I don't see us reaching down the depth chart for a CF.  

So you don’t see us calling in anyone new?  I would be surprised if we didn’t see at least one of Tesho or Ennin called in.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So you don’t see us calling in anyone new?  I would be surprised if we didn’t see at least one of Tesho or Ennin called in.  

No, I meant exclusively for a CF. I could see Akindele coming in but I don't see us going crazy looking for a CF way down the depth chart (i.e. Bair). 

I could see Millar and Akindele coming in for Larin and Cavallini. Let's hope there's no need though.