WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

I think people are overreacting (I know it’s hard to believe on a forum) but without One Soccer, we would have been back to the old days of searching all over for a dodgy stream. And I still don’t think TSN bought exclusive rights to the away game if One Soccer already owned those rights.  For people attending games during qualifying, you will be paying at least $34 a ticket, paying $12 for a beer but yet, $9.95 a month is an issue?  

Just now, JamboAl said:

I think people are overreacting (I know it’s hard to believe on a forum) but without One Soccer, we would have been back to the old days of searching all over for a dodgy stream. And I still don’t think TSN bought exclusive rights to the away game if One Soccer already owned those rights.  For people attending games during qualifying, you will be paying at least $34 a ticket, paying $12 for a beer but yet, $9.95 a month is an issue?  

Yeah, I was debating saying anything but is sure seems like we turned on OS quickly.  It is an absolute bargain for the kind of coverage we get.  They are all-in to support our national teams and our national league.  They deserve our support.  

We can’t on the one hand complain about the lack of money in Canadian footy or the lack of corporate sponsorship, while at the same time nickel and dimming them.  We are supposed to be the hardcore fans - if we aren’t willing to spend a few bucks to support Canadian footy, I am not sure how we expect support to come from other sectors.  

20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The money isn’t an issue to me, but I don’t think it’s unfair to criticize them if they marketed their product as one thing, and you only get half of it. This is all assuming they actually don’t get the away games, which may not be true. If they misled or straight up lied to us though, that’s a problem.

I am a subscriber, and I don't use the product as I prefer alternative options that I have access too that don't disappoint me as often as OS has. Money isn't an issue, as I'm clearly just donating it at this point. Just because you support someone or something, doesn't mean you can't criticize or call out their flaws/ accept what they are giving you.

I appreciate Onesoccer/MediaPro for stepping up to the table when no one seemed like they would to invest in all things Canadian soccer. But let's not stay there. It needs to get better. They need an app that's available all on all Androids, a platform that doesn't crash every few minutes. Maybe even a channel on TV where if you don't have a subscription, you can PPV an event (asking too much?).

And I'm not even of the group that complain about the commentating and such.

The platform needs to get better/more available.

3 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Davies, David, and Larin, but I wouldn't use that formation because it excludes Tajon.  A 3-5-2 allows us to have both Davies and Tajon as the wingbacks while still having David and Larin up front.

I agree. But sometimes we shift into the 4-3-3. 

Anyway I think in the 352, it needs to be more of a 3-5-1-1. 
I want David going back to checking in to receive the ball, and moving the ball/dribbling in transition behind Larin vs being a on-the-last-defender forward.

I think David is due for a big performance against some tougher opponents.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

Question: If we were opting for a 4-3-3.  Today who would be your front three?

I would go Tajon-David-Larin and play Davies at left back.

If you go Davies-David-Tajon you are sitting Larin on the bench.

If you go Davies-David-Larin you are playing Tajon on the backline, where I would rather play Davies. 

If you go Davies-Larin-Tajon you are sitting David on the bench, unless you play him at CAM, which may be worth trying but then you are playing Adekugbe or Gutierrez at left back, which are good options but not the best use of our players.

I think this team needs box-to-box guys in the midfield 3 and David is more of a second striker. 

Well for now its just PL, not UK.  Mexico is on the red list and Jamaica will apparently be added there on Thursday.

Even if its all UK I hate to say it because obviously I'd prefer it to all go away but missing Arfield/Wortherspoon/Hoilett etc isn't the same as missing Jimenez/Antonio/Bailey etc

Edited by theaub

This in no way affects us currently, as we don't have a single player in the premier league. 

Jamaica: Michail Antonio, Ethan Pinnock, Leon Bailey, Andre Gray

USA: Christian Pulisic, Zach Steffen, Erik Palmer-Brown, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Josh Sargeant

Mexico: Raul Jimenez

If it extends to the entire UK, than here are additional names:

Jamaica: Kemar Roofe, Adrian Marriapa, Jamal Lowe, Daniel Johnson, Michael Hector, Ravel Morrisson, Wesley Harding, Liam Moore, Gregory Leigh, Aamari Bell, Kasey Palmer, Kevin Stewart, Jordan Cousins, Curtis Tilt

USA: Tim Ream, Antonee Robinson, Ethan Horvath, 

Canada: Junior Hoilett, Scott Arfield, David Wotherspoon, Harry Paton, Jayson Leutwiler, Theo Corbeanu

Jamaica could be missing so many guys, they could call grievances. It's literally an entire starting XI, plus subs.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

@GasPedI definitely prefer Dunfield over Caldwell. His vocabulary is limited, I feel life I hear the same thing every game. “Massive this, massive that”

Also I’m tired of hearing a British accent. It’s almost like there’s a perception that if they have one…they’ll be more accepted as “they know more”. Now TSN has brought in Kevin fuvking Kilbane- give me a break.

Not sorry I prefer the jobs going to born and raised Canadians. Give ‘em a shot.

Pretty sure Wheeler would have different opinions if he had a British accent.

Everyone knows the Brits are smarter.  Even I as an Asian know that.  😉

What bothers me about Dunfield is that he refuses to stand up to Wheeler's homeristic nonsense, e.g.:

Wheels: And so Osorio is coming off now after another excellent shift for Canada!  What did you think of his performance?

Dunfield: I thought he was really solid, just his work rate, his positioning, just really solid.

(Me:  Are you kidding me?  He alternated between invisible and pylon!  That's why he's coming off!!)

Wheels: ...And Doneil Henry clears another one into the stands - he has just been fantastic today!  What do you think?

Dunfield:  I think he's been really solid, just working hard, just his physical presence, just really solid.

(Me:  Are you kidding me?  The man is a walking red card.  He is soooo close to being sent off.  Sub him now!!)

Of course, I admit, to each his own...  ...but as the Brits might say, he's just not my cup of tea. 😉