WCQ: Aruba vs Canada - Saturday, June 5th, 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - IMG Academy, FL

3 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Wolves are switching from a defensive first to a offensive first style. They've sacked Nuno and hired Bruno Lage as manager, who likes playing all-out attack footy. 

You're making a big assumption about Lage here.   He has managed a grand total of one first team: Benfica. For less than two full seasons.  Yes, you're right, when he had a lot more talent than the majority of his opponents he played an offensive style.  But it'd very possible that now that he's leading a middle-of-the-pack Premiership club, he might opt for a more pragmatic style. 

If Davies is connecting well in attack with David and Larin (like it seems he was) you put him forward.  It’s tougher to score against better teams, so I don’t know why you wouldn’t use him in an attacking role if he is better than a replacement.  We don’t have Coman or Sane to put on in an advanced role over him.

Just now, Acid-Tone said:

You're making a big assumption about Lage here.   He has managed a grand total of one first team: Benfica. For less than two full seasons.  Yes, you're right, when he had a lot more talent than the majority of his opponents he played an offensive style.  But it'd very possible that now that he's leading a middle-of-the-pack Premiership club, he might opt for a more pragmatic style. 

I don't think I've made an assumption at all. I'm a Wolves fan. We know the management was pissed that Nuno didn't make adjustments from being a defensive first team last year. Lage was 100% brought in to focus on a more offensive and possession based style rather than sitting back and hoping to score on the counter like Nuno.

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The sad thing for one soccer is this and the Suriname games are the kind of things that subscribers use to show people their product.  I was zooming with a lifelong Canadian footy fan and also had a friend over.  Then they have to sit through over 10 crashes and refreshes.  What a missed opportunity for OS.  Imagine if we make the Ocho and they get games picked up by major sports networks - and the product they deliver is like what most of us experienced tonight.  

Not trying to play devil's advocate and not really an IT guy but all my tribunal hearings are over Zoom now.

At the start of the Zoom hearings the adjuticator tells us to close all other apps and turn our video off when we are not talking because it messes with the bandwidth and could create lagging, freezing or crashing. 

I've heard that about 100 times now ^, just a suggestion for the Suriname game.

Just now, apbsmith said:

Not trying to play devil's advocate and not really an IT guy but all my tribunal hearings are over Zoom now.

At the start of the Zoom hearings the adjuticator tells us to close all other apps and turn our video off when we are not talking because it messes with the bandwidth and could create lagging, freezing or crashing. 

I've heard that about 100 times now ^, just a suggestion for the Suriname game.

That would make sense if it was just me, but the thread is littered with posts of other people (not zooming) having the same issues tonight. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would make sense if it was just me, but the thread is littered with posts of other people (not zooming) having the same issues tonight. 

Yaaaa, fair enough. 

Hope they can figure out how to upgrade the servers for Tuesday, be a disaster if this was the case for next 3 games.  

For what it's worth, I ran it off Bell wifi from the App on an old android phone and casted to my smart TV. No issues whatsoever. 

Hopefully it gets sorted for everyone by Tuesday. 

36 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Really disappointing first cap for St. Clair, I don't think he made a single save the whole night. Heck, I don't even think he made any attempt to make a save - talk about lazy or what!

He could have had a nap 

Quick summary: Solid game but sloppy earlier on. Good performances from many of the starters, and they got the job done. The standout, for me, was Tajon. (I know many of you share this sentiment.)  But Cava was good, as were Wotherspoon and Adegkube and Miller, and I really liked what ZBG brought when he came on. Hoillet was looking decent for a guy whose not played much club football recently.  Fraser was tidy, the CBs were solid, and the Big Three came on and showed us they are truly next level.

But the guy I was watching most closely was MAK.  I felt he had an uneven game, which is pretty much how I'd describe much of his past season-and-a-bit with LAFC. He worked his ass off, showed some real brilliance in places, the set up on the first goal in particular, but also some impressive line-splitting passes and a real effort to get back on defense.  But he was also responsible for a fair bit of the sloppiness we saw, especially in the first 20 or so minutes of the opening half.  If he can tidy this up, then he is the proxy-heir to Atiba. Yeah, they are a bit different in how they play, but they also share plenty of similarities. The big difference: Atiba almost never loses the ball and he almost never misses a pass.  Good teams will prey on a sloppy midfield.  I'd rather have two super conservative CMs on the pitch than a more attack-minded CM who loses the ball too cheaply, too often.  Aruba did not have the fire power to punish us, but better teams will. But I am hopeful that MAK can return to his breakout form at LAFC, even take his game to the next level. He could prove to be one of our most important players over the next five or so years.

5 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I don't think Sturing should be called to Canada until he is playing regularly at a higher level, to me he was the weakest player on the field tonight.  This should be his last appearance in this series of games (next 3).

Really? I thought he was great. One sloppy pass early on, but otherwise, he did a good job of making sure Vitoria wasn't our primary outlet option at the back lol. He's very good at moving up the ball up the field himself, and dropping it off. We don't really have other CB's who do that.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Even minus the supposed to be, Rutty and Habibullah were seen as having higher ceilings.

They've been talking about Corbeanu for a couple of years on whether he'd opt for Canada or Romania.

FWIW, I liked ZB-G tonight.

Edited by Strider

4 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Really? I thought he was great. One sloppy pass early on, but otherwise, he did a good job of making sure Vitoria wasn't our primary outlet option at the back lol. He's very good at moving up the ball up the field himself, and dropping it off. We don't really have other CB's who do that.

Yeah, I felt Sturing had a decent game. Very involved, good passing. We need to see more of him, and versus better competition, before we can see how he fits into future plans.

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

52 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I watched on my TV streaming via my Roku.

I watched on my tv via my wife's Roku. Was perfect feed. Usually I go from my laptop, but this was much better. Also I forbade anyone from using the internet during all Canada games henceforth.

1 hour ago, umpiredice said:

Thank you. I had no idea those controls were there. Turns out I needed to scroll down a little bit to find them. Sadly, I'm not on stadium sound, I have "English" selected. Oh well, at least I got the video ... when it was working and I wasn't getting "This video file cannot be played" errors every four minutes.

Perhaps it will be better on Tuesday.

On the left side, but same height as the gear icon is a sound control. I wonder if it got muted on you. For me, half the times that I had to refresh the page to get the stream back, it got automatically muted. It's something I have noticed that it mutes when I start up the browser and am already in OneSoccer (it's the only website I use on my browser on my Firestick) presumable to avoid annoyingly playing audio of a video I might not care at all about. It has been a welcome feature in the past, tonight it was a bit annoying, but I knew to watch for it so I got to enjoy my Wheeler and Dunfield... when the stream worked.

49 minutes ago, Tyson M said:

I watched on my tv via my wife's Roku. Was perfect feed. Usually I go from my laptop, but this was much better. Also I forbade anyone from using the internet during all Canada games henceforth.

Haha. Just like the good old days when you lost interernet connection because someone called your house 

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

I thought Sturing had a couple sloppy passes. There were 2 passes to him that he just flat out had roll under his foot, like a routine pass that he just managed to whiff on somehow. He also pressed up in an ill-advised manner at one point (maybe 2 times, but 1 sticks out in my memory) to try to win the ball but got beat to it and then was horribly out of position, which was when Vitoria ran up to his man and fouled him and got a yellow card. I'm 60% sure it was a professional foul to let Sturing get back into position. It wouldn't have been a straight up break, but Aruba was about to have numbers on us.

No problems with his actual defending other than the Vitoria yellow card play, but there wasn't much of any defending to be done. Personally I thought he looked very out of place.

2 hours ago, umpiredice said:

There's going to be a lot of final day drama next week. The schedule writers did a very good job!  Four of the six groups have two teams tied for first place, that are playing each other on Tuesday.

Group A - El Salvador vs. Antigua, tied on 7 points, El Salvador with the better GD, but if the match is a draw Monserrat passes both of them by beating Grenada. Wouldn't that be amazing!

Group B - Canada vs. Suriname, tied on 9 points, us with the better GD

Group C - Curacao vs. Guatemala, tied on 9 points, tied on GD, Curacao with one more goal scored

Group E - Haiti vs. Nicaragua, tied on 6 points, Haiti with the better GD

I hope CONCACAF is paying attention, because this format seemst to be much better than their original idea (which we already knew but it's good to see it in practice).  It's got a lot of meaningful games (see the final day of play), it's got another round of really meaningful games coming up, and then it has the Octo.  It keeps the "top" teams out of action for a bit longer (which they want), but keeps all of the smaller teams playing a few more games against better opposition. It's not perfect (those minnow teams still be eliminated moderately early) but it's better than what we had or what CONCACAF proposed.

Like others, I had a lot of problems tonight with OneSoccer. It was very frustrating. My assumption at this point is the same as some others, it's probably due to traffic. They are probably getting more people for World Cup Qualifiers than they are used to for other games. They better sort it out for future CMNT games, especially if we make it to the Oct. I have been thinking that these qualifiers are not just massive for the national team, but also for OneSoccer and as a result also the CPL. If we make it to the octagonal there may be a lot of people with OneSoccer subscriptions in September, October, and November that otherwise wouldn't have, and at least 2 of those months should have overlap with the CPL season. It may actually be a chance for people to "discover" the CPL like people discover things on old school cable TV. You spend 10 bucks on a streaming service for the month to watch Canada, but you see ads for CPL so you think you might as well get your money's worth and give the league a shot.