WCQ: Aruba vs Canada - Saturday, June 5th, 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - IMG Academy, FL

5 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

I don't think I've made an assumption at all. I'm a Wolves fan. We know the management was pissed that Nuno didn't make adjustments from being a defensive first team last year. Lage was 100% brought in to focus on a more offensive and possession based style rather than sitting back and hoping to score on the counter like Nuno.

If you listen to the long Corbeanu interview on OneSoccer, he takes getting regular professional minutes, at Wolves or on loan, as his priority for next season. Which makes it clear the loan option is very high, and he seems to accept this as the right path forward.

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Really disappointing first cap for St. Clair, I don't think he made a single save the whole night. Heck, I don't even think he made any attempt to make a save - talk about lazy or what!

He caught a long floater going into goal around m. 80 or past. I'm glad he got some work.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

My stream must have died during the moment Vitoria got the yellow card, but it seems to be there:

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/match/400136224/#match-timeline

---

So far Davies is also credited with the fifth goal. We shall see if that changes.

Depends on what the ref report says. They are not obliged to go look at video and re-ref the match, not for cards, not for goals. Sometimes, if a player touches it on a deflection they may ask. I don't think Concacaf has an independent body, like most leagues, doing stats this way and adjusting goal tallies.

Canada with this 7-0 win are basically putting their feet on the gas when it comes to pedalling through this group. I mean even though us and Suriname both have 9 points, Canada we have superior goal difference. We have 23 goals and only giving up 1 goal (+22). Suriname their goal difference is 15 goals with 0 goals given up so they have a (+15) difference. 

Last game, Canada if we beat Suriname and finish with 12 points, we go on to Haiti in the 2 leg playoff. If we draw with Suriname either in a 0-0 game or a 1-1 game or a 2-2 game and both teams finish with 10 points, we go through on superior goal difference. In order for Suriname to go through and win this group, they would have to beat Canada by at least 8 goals. No way that happens. But then again, I don't think that matters or does it? Because if they beat us, wouldn't they go through because they would have 12 points and we would have only 9 points. Unless they don't take goal difference into consideration. Maybe I am overthinking here. Or am I?

But basically we would have to win this next game against Suriname or play for a draw. So basically this Aruba game definitely helped us more than it hurt us. 

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Canada with this 7-0 win are basically putting their feet on the gas when it comes to pedalling through this group. I mean even though us and Suriname both have 9 points, Canada we have superior goal difference. We have 23 goals and only giving up 1 goal (+22). Suriname their goal difference is 15 goals with 0 goals given up so they have a (+15) difference. 

Last game, Canada if we beat Suriname and finish with 12 points, we go on to Haiti in the 2 leg playoff. If we draw with Suriname either in a 0-0 game or a 1-1 game or a 2-2 game and both teams finish with 10 points, we go through on superior goal difference. In order for Suriname to go through and win this group, they would have to beat Canada by at least 8 goals. No way that happens. But then again, I don't think that matters or does it? Because if they beat us, wouldn't they go through because they would have 12 points and we would have only 9 points. Unless they don't take goal difference into consideration. Maybe I am overthinking here. Or am I?

But basically we would have to win this next game against Suriname or play for a draw. So basically this Aruba game definitely helped us more than it hurt us. 

We go through vs Suriname with a draw; and it is not clear who we play next round, Haiti or Nicaragua. 

I think this was clear in multiple posts, but just to reiterate.

40 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We go through vs Suriname with a draw; and it is not clear who we play next round, Haiti or Nicaragua. 

I think this was clear in multiple posts, but just to reiterate.

I mean yeah I know that but what I got confused on was should Suriname beat us, would they go through even despite us having a vastly superior goal difference? So basically for us yeah sure we can draw with them but should we even take that chance or that much of a risk? Rather play for a win just to be safe.

Edited by TGAA_Star

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Goal difference is irrelevant if they have more points than us. They could have won every game 1-0, if they have 12 points and we have 9, they would go through even if they were +4 and we were +50. Goal difference only matters if we're tied on points.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you listen to the long Corbeanu interview on OneSoccer, he takes getting regular professional minutes, at Wolves or on loan, as his priority for next season. Which makes it clear the loan option is very high, and he seems to accept this as the right path forward.

The new coach JUST came in. I don't think he'll be loaned out.. but maybe.  He should slot in behind Neto and Adama.

2 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

The new coach JUST came in. I don't think he'll be loaned out.. but maybe.  He should slot in behind Neto and Adama.

Don’t be surprised if you see some of those guys leave. Pretty sure Wolves will be selling a few of them. 

So you’re right, I don’t think he will be sent on loan UNTIL the coach has seen him. And he definitely will get the opportunities to show out.

4 hours ago, ADP10 said:

TSN made an error when showing the highlights of the game and said David won the Turkish League with Besiktas 😂.

Atleast they showed the highlights

Rhonda Burgundy will read anything you put on the teleprompter 

6 hours ago, rydermike said:

Goal difference is irrelevant if they have more points than us. They could have won every game 1-0, if they have 12 points and we have 9, they would go through even if they were +4 and we were +50. Goal difference only matters if we're tied on points.

Thanks for the clarification so basically nothing more than a win or a draw...I mean safe to say we should go for the W but playing for a draw we may as well park the bus on Suriname

8 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I mean yeah I know that but what I got confused on was should Suriname beat us, would they go through even despite us having a vastly superior goal difference? So basically for us yeah sure we can draw with them but should we even take that chance or that much of a risk? Rather play for a win just to be safe.

did you just deadass ask if goal difference is more important than points

Edited by DavemTFC

2 minutes ago, DavemTFC said:

did you just deadass ask if goal difference is more important than points

Well yeah but now I have the gist of it. Which is why I said we should play for a draw or a win but I would rather play for a win to be on the safe side because if Suriname sees that we are trying to play for a draw, it could very well backfire because you know as well as I do that they are going to be attacking us all game trying to throw everything they have at us. 

10 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

We are tied on 9 points with Suriname, if they beat us 1-0 they would advance and we would be eliminated because they then would be on 12 points and we would still have 9 so Canada advances with a win or draw, and Suriname advances with a win.

Question for anyone who can remember - I went away from the stream for a bit during Hoilett's injury to get food and when I came ZBG was on and I think I remember hearing Wheeler mention Osorio. Has Osorio switches with ZBG and is now out or in the taxi squad due to injury? Does this apply to Henry too? Full disclosure, I didn't bother watching the second half due to the stream issues (thought it was just my internet originally) and the fact that, well, the game was done anyway. There's a lot of football coming up, I think I'm allowed to skip one half against Aruba 😛

Henry being injured terrifies me way more than him playing an important game. There's no way I'm comfortable starting an amateur dutch 2nd division player against even lower end Eredivisie guys and I seriously question having him at such an important camp and not even having Cornelius here at all despite arguably looking like our best CB playing for Canada the last couple years despite his poor club form. Henry may be a constant brainfart threat but I still think he's less of a risk than Sturing (who for what it's worth I thought looked solid last night) and he's the most dominant defender we have. If he's out we'll have to rely on an aging Vitoria and a still without a cap Kennedy for a full 3 games straight, and even though I like and trust both players I still think that's a lot to ask.

I'm less worried about Osorio being out, partly since I figured he wouldn't be fit enough to start for us anyway. Still disappointing if he really is unavailable but I'm confident in Kaye or Wotherspoon in the advanced midfield role in front of Piette/Eustaquio or even David as the #10

edit: just noticed ZBG wore Oso's #21 shirt. Would definitely suggest he's replacing Oso

Edited by DavemTFC

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Well yeah but now I have the gist of it. Which is why I said we should play for a draw or a win but I would rather play for a win to be on the safe side because if Suriname sees that we are trying to play for a draw, it could very well backfire because you know as well as I do that they are going to be attacking us all game trying to throw everything they have at us. 

Oh I definitely agree that we should be looking to win. We don't even have to throw many players forward if Davies/David/Larin are all in attack, they'll be constant threats

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Dude...are you fucking kidding me?

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

His posts are the biggest running joke on this forum. It has to be a troll.

They may be but at the same time I'm trying to get some context here. Is he actually trolling, juvenile or god-forbid mentally disadvantaged in which case I would truly feel horrible about some of my responses to him. I obviously should have asked this before.