WCQ: Aruba vs Canada - Saturday, June 5th, 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - IMG Academy, FL

Posted (edited)

Aruba vs Canada
Saturday, June 5th
8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific
IMG Academy, Bradenton, Florida

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0vtoG8XMAQ96_-?format=jpg&name=small

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/match/400136224/#match-lineups

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-to-continue-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-qualifiers-in-florida-and-illinois/

Broadcast on ONESoccer

-------
The Aruba coach:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Menzo

The Aruba squad:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aruba_national_football_team

The Arubaanse Voetbal Bond - AVB regularly posts on Facebook, (easier and cheaper than maintaining your own website):
https://www.facebook.com/arubaansevoetbalbondaruba/

-------
The latest Herdman interview on OneSoccer gave us some interesting information.

- There will be four training sessions prior to this match (with two at high intensity). No long camp and no friendly matches beforehand.
- Based on the above, it sounds like players will arrive in Florida for COVID testing and quarantine on perhaps May 29th/30th/31st.
- Herdman is casting a very wide net when it comes to squad selection and mentioned many many names unprompted. We could see an extended/larger squad.
- When asked, he did not rule out any players (Gareth Wheeler did not press him on this), so injured guys like Arfield might recover in time
- Aruba will play the Cayman Islands on Wednesday, June 2nd also at IMG, so perhaps our guys will be watching from the stands/sidelines.
- The Suriname vs Bermuda match is also before this game so we will have full knowledge of the goal difference we will require vs Aruba in the unlikely case of a big Suriname win against Bermuda

-----

We have no suspended players or players on yellow cards:
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/match/400136222/#match-lineups
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/match/400136218/#match-lineups

Aruba have no suspended players but Nickenson Paul, Mark Jacobs are on yellow cards. They'll have a match to play before they meet us though.
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/match/400136227/#match-lineups
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/match/400136223/#match-lineups

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The latest Herdman interview on OneSoccer gave us some interesting information.

- Herdman is casting a very wide net when it comes to squad selection and mentioned many many names unprompted. We could see an extended/larger squad.
- When asked, he did not rule out any players (Gareth Wheeler did not press him on this), so injured guys like Arfield might recover in time

He made mention that guys who miss out on the WCQ will definitely be in consideration for the Gold Cup.
I do feel like the squad is being picked for the best 21,  with some of the guys being pushed to the GC team/on standby.

Yes it's about having our best squad, but I do think its being managed accordingly, why I think we could see a guy like Millar at the GC vs WCQ next month.

Wheeler asked very good questions at the latter part of this 1-on-1, that were being elegantly side stepped. I had to replay it 3x to see if I missed any coded language.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So you’re saying the Suriname match could end in a win, loss or draw? Get this man on the panel. 

What I mean is that they are level on points with us and the fact that they are recruiting so many Dutch born players outside the region already and if they manage to get said players to play for them, they look dangerous in the future. Because like I said before, they actually worry me. But even without that, I said before all of that, that Suriname is a threat. For which they are. They are managing to get results from their matches just like we are but we are ahead on goal difference. All I'm really saying is if we do take them lightly, I'm just saying don't be surprised about results possibly going against us. However, my honest opinion well more so my prediction for the Suriname match, I say it ends in a draw.

But I already said we're winning against Aruba.

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I'm predicting the match v. Suriname won't matter after they slip up against a full strength Bermuda. 😀

I'm banking on this as well, especially if Wells is in the Bermuda squad. This Bermuda group has taken points from better teams than Suriname, who may have one eye on their match with us. 

It will take a lot of pressure off us if they slip up against Bermuda, but having to play Suriname with everything on the line would also be good experience for Canada. Just makes me nervous as a fan.   

Posted (edited)

This game is a tough predicament for the manager. Does he rest some guys in anticipation for the latter game. Or does he use this a direct preparation and risk tiredness, little nicks and injuries. 

Edited by Shway

46 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The Suriname match against Bermuda only matters if they lose. If they draw they would still eliminate us by beating us, which they already have to do anyhow.

Good point. Bermuda would have to beat Suriname to remain alive in WCQ, but Suriname can technically lose or draw without being eliminated. I'd like to think this gives Bermuda the edge, because it's do-or-die for them, but realistically they won't be able to make up the goal difference against us anyways. Even a win against Suriname won't be enough for them, unless they think the impossible can happen. I hope they go into that game believing they can still advance.  

2 hours ago, Shway said:

This game is a tough predicament for the manager. Does he rest some guys in anticipation for the latter game. Or does he use this a direct preparation and risk tiredness, little nicks and injuries. 

...and potentially (being cautious) 2 games vs Haiti in short order. I think he starts the "reserves"

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I'm banking on this as well, especially if Wells is in the Bermuda squad. This Bermuda group has taken points from better teams than Suriname, who may have one eye on their match with us. 

It will take a lot of pressure off us if they slip up against Bermuda, but having to play Suriname with everything on the line would also be good experience for Canada. Just makes me nervous as a fan.   

As a fan it's nail biting time but the coach/players/team have been together for 3 yrs now. Our best players have all won or  will win league titles with their clubs. They have faced pressure games this season. I think the timing is right for this squad. If not now then when?...isn't that Herdman's mantra? 

Posted (edited)

One win over Cayman and all of a sudden we are this arrogant, hugely disrespectful team thinking about running up the score on Aruba? Or is that just some fans?

Doesn't sound right to me. I'd say, first, get the win. Then get the goals, but make sure the players are safe and the confidence stays up. 

Really, going from scraping by minnows and not making the HEX to this: what was it they said "comes before a fall"?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

One win over Cayman and all of a sudden we are this arrogant, hugely disrespectful team thinking about running up the score on Aruba? Or is that just some fans?

Doesn't sound right to me. I'd say, first, get the win. Then get the goals, but make sure the players are safe and the confidence stays up. 

Really, going from scraping by minnows and not making the HEX to this: what was it they said "comes before a fall"?

Suriname beat them 6-0 and Bermuda beat them 5-0.  I get what you are saying, and we may not break our new record, but I don’t see this as anything other than a comfortable win.  

30 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

...and potentially (being cautious) 2 games vs Haiti in short order. I think he starts the "reserves"

I don’t see it being a reserve team insofar as we will want to continue to build chemistry.  I am sure we will be under specific orders not to take any silly risks, and anyone carrying any sort of a knock will likely start on the bench, but I see us fielding a generally full strength team. We need to make sure we are fully integrated and familiar by the time we play Suriname - and hopefully Haiti.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

3 hours ago, Shway said:

I'd start a mix of reserves and starters because I can't see our best xi getting a lot of time to rest between three must win games (knocks furiously on wood) against Suriname and Haiti?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Good point. Bermuda would have to beat Suriname to remain alive in WCQ, but Suriname can technically lose or draw without being eliminated.

If we beat Aruba by only 5-0, and Bermuda do us a favour and beat Suriname by, say, only one goal, and then we were to lose to Suriname, you could get a situation where there are 3 teams on 9 points. We'd be the most likely to go through on goal difference.

As I've said previously and @CanadaFan123 has just posted, Suriname are going to go into that Bermuda game playing to "not lose". A win or a draw is all the same to them. It will be an interesting dynamic for sure.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Suriname beat them 6-0 and Bermuda beat them 5-0.  I get what you are saying, and we may not break our new record, but I don’t see this as anything other than a comfortable win.  

I don’t see it being a reserve team insofar as we will want to continue to build chemistry.  I am sure we will be under specific orders not to take any silly risks, and anyone carrying any sort of a knock will likely start on the bench, but I see us fielding a generally full strength team. We need to make sure we are fully integrated and familiar by the time we play Suriname - and hopefully Haiti.   

I would like to start a full IX in prep for Suriname as well but after compressed Euro seasons for most of our starters and potentially 4 games, 3 of which are pressure games in a  small window, it's dicey. Even if there are no injuries the players will not have any gas in the tank and that is more of a concern.