2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

7 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Short answer it doesn’t get fixed. Not until people start pointing fingers and saying this is why and this is who is working against the best interests of the  NT development. 

Yeah, I hate that we never hear any reasons or names. People always say the organization doesn't care about the game, lots of infighting, yadda yadda, and it boils down to just "Trust me bro". I do trust Dino Rossi, though I've never met him. But why isn't he even anonymously dropping some stories to the media. Explain what you wanted to do, who is blocking it from happening and their reasons for it. I can't even recount all the high profile people that have walked out the door in the last year or 2, many of whom didn't even last 12 months (and 1 person that didn't even last a day). Who are these problem people that are causing all this rage quitting?

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I hate that we never hear any reasons or names. People always say the organization doesn't care about the game, lots of infighting, yadda yadda, and it boils down to just "Trust me bro". I do trust Dino Rossi, though I've never met him. But why isn't he even anonymously dropping some stories to the media. Explain what you wanted to do, who is blocking it from happening and their reasons for it. I can't even recount all the high profile people that have walked out the door in the last year or 2, many of whom didn't even last 12 months (and 1 person that didn't even last a day). Who are these problem people that are causing all this rage quitting?

Let’s get a grassroots thing started which leaks this shit out to the Canada soccer journalists to root these cunts out. Not even joking. *Cough cough* media members of this forum.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

...I do trust Dino Rossi, though I've never met him...

On what basis then? Because it's the prevailing group think on here and you want to fit in with the in crowd?

Most posters on here and certain high profile podcasters chearleaded the CSB deal that got the CSA into the financial mess it is in now. At some point people maybe need to start questioning the group think and whether it's time for a new direction?

My understanding is that Charmaine Crooks' interim term is up in May. I strongly suspect that Dino Rossi is going to be CSB and Victor Montagliani's favoured candidate to replace her at the CSA AGM in May and that this resignation was the opening salvo of his campaign. 

What will be interesting to watch is whether the emergence of Project 8 tips the voting balance in any way.

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

On what basis then? Because it's the prevailing group think on here and you want to fit in with the in crowd?

Most posters on here and certain high profile podcasters chearleaded the CSB deal that got the CSA into the financial mess it is in now. At some point people maybe need to start questioning the group think and whether it's time for a new direction?

My understanding is that Charmaine Crooks' interim term is up in May. I strongly suspect that Dino Rossi is going to be CSB and Victor Montagliani's favoured candidate to replace her at the CSA AGM in May and that this resignation was the opening salvo of his campaign. 

What will be interesting to watch is whether the emergence of Project 8 tips the voting balance in any way.

For once, I hope you’re right.

I don't think that can happen. Only current board members can be voted President. I believe that tidbit came out last year.

By resigning he is effectively taking himself out of the running.

That's why my speculation is that he has calculated that he doesn't have the support he needs for President and resigned and wrote this letter to save face

21 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Based on the only things I know about him. He was a fan that was a big part (maybe spearheaded?) the sack the CSA movement, he started a club in Milton (I think it might have been in the now desanctioned CSL), and then was the leader in making L1O happen, and all the interviews I saw with him at that time. I don't think you do any of those things for self serving money making reasons. That all seems like "love of the game" would be the motivating factor.

Have you ever been involved with running a soccer association or league? Having done so briefly before realizing the extent to which it was getting in the way of my actual career, I need to tread carefully so it's not obvious to certain people in London, Ont who specifically I am talking about but there is an ego/power trip involved with being the head honcho of something like that which draws people with a particular type of personality to those roles that you quickly find doesn't have anything to do with an altruistic love of the game. Could share a few anecdotes but it wouldn't be appropriate. Suffice to say I found it like being invited up to the cockpit of the plane and finding that there is a chimpanzee in a pilot's uniform at the controls.

People who actually want to do those jobs for years on end are often the very last people who should be allowed anywhere near them because most people who are not looking for an ego/power trip in life can quickly find better things to do with their time. To be fair to Dino Rossi, if this isn't the opening salvo of his presidential campaign and he genuinely did get frustrated that he was being held back from making any sort of positive contribution for the betterment of Canadian soccer because it was getting in the way of other people's empire building he would definitely go up in my estimation. Time will tell basically.

Would still think L1O is a bit like the old saying that a camel is what you get if a horse is designed by committee though. Replace committee with an OSA dominated by GTA suburban youth club registration numbers and hence youth clubs that want the optics of having a "pro" team at the end of their "pathway" but no interest in delivering the substance of it. Also don't think cities distant from the GTA like London should have been blocked from accessing PDL in sanctioning terms and forced into a structure revolving around said GTA suburban youth clubs, which would be the move that Dino Rossi was involved with that I have the biggest problem with.

15 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Anyone following this Suriname news? This is kinda cool tbh. Also apparently they are playing 2 friendlies in Europe (unknown opponents, one of which is rumored to be an African team).

Wow. If only Canada could match Suriname's GDP, then we could have friendlies as well. Seriously though how can Suriname's FA afford this? 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Wow. If only Canada could match Suriname's GDP, then we could have friendlies as well. Seriously though how can Suriname's FA afford this? 

They probably spend 0 on development(let others counties do it for them) they spend 0 on women's program and when they spend money or make money they don't have everyone and their dog jumping down their throat

15 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Doekhi, Piroe and Summerville are all players who would be amongst some of the best in CONCACAF but the rest of those guys are similar levels to what their previous recruiting has seen 

I wonder if the pitch this time is that with a 48 team World Cup, its much easier for us to quality from Concacaf so its worth the 2 year commitment

Still watching the show on YouTube every day when they show the 3 host nations USA, Mexico and Canada and where each team will be playing

Getting stars like Kevin Hart, Kim Kardashian & hers & Kanye's son Saint and then Drake on the show too...I loved it

And then getting certain people from the respective host nation federations to speak on the 2026 FIFA World Cup on top of it

Personally I can't wait

On 2/15/2024 at 4:21 PM, Kadenge said:

I’m sure their expenses aren’t anywhere near ours. They probably pay their staff hardly anything, aren’t chartering planes, getting nice accommodations, training staff, etc that our players expect. If our players allowed themselves to be paid less, with less staff, and in worse conditions, I’m sure we could afford more friendlies too. Not that I’m saying they should accept that, I’m just saying, you can’t have your cake and eat it too when we don’t really generate any revenue, regardless of whose fault that is (not trying to start some CSB argument again).

On 2/15/2024 at 3:24 PM, Atlantic said:

Doekhi, Piroe and Summerville are all players who would be amongst some of the best in CONCACAF but the rest of those guys are similar levels to what their previous recruiting has seen 

summerville is not going to commit. He's getting attention from the dutch senior squad. 

Doehki has such a long list of dutch defenders to compete with. VVD, botman, van de ven, ake, blind, de ligt, timber, geertruida, de vrij, st juste, hato, heusjin, teze, schuurs, struijk, van beek, etc. Theres a good chance he would commit based on the competition

Piroe is an interesting one- lots of talk that he should get a chance from fans. Until he plays prem, I think his call up is unlikely - Especially now that dalinga, zirkzee and brobbery are pushing for the national team. 

The rest of the guys are no where near the dutch national team. 

11 hours ago, Bigandy said:

summerville is not going to commit. He's getting attention from the dutch senior squad. 

Doehki has such a long list of dutch defenders to compete with. VVD, botman, van de ven, ake, blind, de ligt, timber, geertruida, de vrij, st juste, hato, heusjin, teze, schuurs, struijk, van beek, etc. Theres a good chance he would commit based on the competition

Piroe is an interesting one- lots of talk that he should get a chance from fans. Until he plays prem, I think his call up is unlikely - Especially now that dalinga, zirkzee and brobbery are pushing for the national team. 

The rest of the guys are no where near the dutch national team. 

Suriname 🇸🇷 could be dark horses to qualify 

54 minutes ago, Free kick said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-2026-fifa-world-cup-fan-festival-pne#google_vignette

Vancouver's 2026 FIFA World Cup Fan Festival could be held at the PNE

i can't find the link, but there was rumbling that Hastings Park could see redevelopment into a stadium, possibly one that replaces BC place, or alongside it as something more suitable for CFL, soccer, etc.  There is interest from the whitecaps ownership, and probably lions too.  Hastings Park is languishing as a horse race track at the moment.

15 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

i can't find the link, but there was rumbling that Hastings Park could see redevelopment into a stadium, possibly one that replaces BC place, or alongside it as something more suitable for CFL, soccer, etc.  There is interest from the whitecaps ownership, and probably lions too.  Hastings Park is languishing as a horse race track at the moment.

Makes way too much sense to ever come true. As someone who could walk there and who loves the incomparable sport history within that same footprint, though, I would absolutely love to see it.