2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

9 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

So Canada getting 13 games is actually not bad with 3 of them being knockout games .

Its not far off from the original plan.  Just two extra group stage matches were added to each Canadian city

As I think about it now.   A package for the Toronto games (like we purchased for the 2007 U20) does not seem appealing to me this time.   In 2007 that package  ( around $400) included the final and semi's.  And Canada's opening match.   This package will include one Canada game and games from other groups that don't include Canada.  That's why it was worth going to Qatar.  It will be cheaper and I will have gotten to see the games I wanted to see.

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

As I think about it now.   A package for the Toronto games (like we purchased for the 2007 U20) does not seem appealing to me.   In 2007 that package included the final and semi's.  And Canada's opening match.   This package will include one canada game and games from other groups that dont include Canada

Does FIFA do packages for seniors Men's World Cups still?

Edited by narduch

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

As I think about it now.   A package for the Toronto games (like we purchased for the 2007 U20) does not seem appealing to me.   In 2007 that package included the final and semi's.  And Canada's opening match.   This package will include one Canada game and games from other groups that don't include Canada.  That's why it was worth going to Qatar.  It will be cheaper and I will have gotten to see the games I wanted to see.

Welcome to what it's like being in every other part of the country for every major event. Sorry Toronto isn't the center of the universe for this one.

25 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Welcome to what it's like being in every other part of the country for every major event. Sorry Toronto isn't the center of the universe for this one.

What other major events are you talking about? Certainly not the three Olympics on Canadian soil or the only other senior World Cup Canada has hosted.

Stop with the petty regional bullshit, please.

Just now, RS said:

What other major events are you talking about? Certainly not the three Olympics on Canadian soil or the only other senior World Cup Canada has hosted.

Stop with the petty regional bullshit, please.

The men’s u20. Yes, Vancouver absolutely got a great deal during the women's world cup, but most of the country during most major national events gets what Toronto is getting this time: some group stage games and maybe 1 knockout.  

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

The men’s u20. Yes, Vancouver absolutely got a great deal during the women's world cup, but most of the country during most major national events gets what Toronto is getting this time: some group stage games and maybe 1 knockout.  

The men's u20 isn't "every major event."

You're trying to turn this into a stupid Toronto vs. Vancouver thing when literally no one else is.

31 minutes ago, spinrack said:

Both Canada-hosted round of 32 games are on the same day, Thursday, July 2

I'd expect that they are the two games where the first and second place finishers of Canada's group plays. Things get complicated if we are a third-place qualifier.

9 minutes ago, RS said:

The men's u20 isn't "every major event."

You're trying to turn this into a stupid Toronto vs. Vancouver thing when literally no one else is.

I'm not. I'm saying most of the country isn't getting anything and when the u20 and Women's WC came through, Toronto and Vancouver were very fortunate to get host finals and team Canada games. Most of the country didn't. So for someone to bemoan that hosting a WC in their city is disappointing because it "only involves Canada's first game ever on home soil and 1 knockout game, plus 4 other games we have no details on yet" comes off as a bit spoiled to me.

4 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I'd expect that they are the two games where the first and second place finishers of Canada's group plays. Things get complicated if we are a third-place qualifier.

Unlikely.   the point of clustering, was to not make teams travel accross the continent.   so R 32 games will stay in the cluster

7 hours ago, SoccMan said:

We need a stadium for big Canada games, big international games, big TFC games , later round playing games , MLS Cup if they host again one day and so in . Will they need a 45000 stadium for every game no, but when we need it we don’t have it in Toronto.

They are not going to build a modern 45,000 seat soccer stadium on the hope and prayer that it might be needed once a year or so. Until TFC is regularly filling the existing stadium to full capacity, there will not be a larger stadium built in Toronto.

12 hours ago, narduch said:

Could have been worse. At least it wasn't called Toronto Rectangular Stadium.

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium was the working name for what became AAMI park during the planning stages. This was simply because the two existing large stadiums in Melbourne (the MCG, capacity 100k, and Marvel, capacity ~55k) are both ovals to accommodate Aussie Rules and cricket. AAMI was built specifically for rugby and football, which are shit, from a spectator perspective, when played at an oval stadium. So, when FIFA came to town with their prohibition on corporate names, AAMI reverted to Melbourne Rectangular Stadium for a few weeks. They could have went with Olympic Park, I guess, as that was the name of the old athletics stadium that was demolished to make way for AAMI. Not sure what the IOC would've said about that.

Edited by SthMelbRed

36 minutes ago, Free kick said:

But who said that?

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

As I think about it now.   A package for the Toronto games (like we purchased for the 2007 U20) does not seem appealing to me this time.   In 2007 that package  ( around $400) included the final and semi's.  And Canada's opening match.   This package will include one Canada game and games from other groups that don't include Canada.