2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I am glad you included a column for the region.  Because that part is key to understanding the logistics of the process.  And it also explains why cities like Edmonton and Denver were not selected.   And why they went out of their way to bring Vancouver back into the process.  North America poses a problem for hosting the world cup.   The whole concept was devised on the premise of a European nation as host.   That means that you can easily and quickly travel from one end to the other in reasonable time by train or bus.   In 1994 this was the biggest complaint that people had and therefore you knew that they weren't going repeat the same mistakes.  There were similar but smaller echoes about the 2007 U20.    Visitors wont come if they have to waste two weeks of time and money on multiple long flights across time zones.   National FA's would have the same contraints for their teams.    By clustering,  only a handful of teams will have to have zip across time zones prior to the quarter finals stage.  

If one looks at schedule carefully and looks at final three days of group stage and the how the coloured boxes are stacked above each other,  you can tell how the groups will work and how the cross over to the R32 and R16 will work.  Recall, final group stage matches have to be played simultaneously.  Hence, there are very few "stray matches" in the schedule.  The opening game in Toronto will be a stray match (ie.: a game where both teams will be playing outside their group and time zone).  So other than the game in Toronto,  no one will travel outside the cluster/ region until the QF's or maybe even the semis.  

PS.:  The US matches will be played in LA (opening game) and then Seattle for the next two.  Not at Levi's stadium.

Rumour I heard about Edmonton was main reason they didn’t get included in the host selection was because there’s not enough five star hotels in the city. 

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes,  it will be in Vancouver if you were to cluster the matches.  And if canada tops their group.  Unless Canada finishes second then it will likely be another pacific time zone city.   

I could’ve sworn I saw it reported that it will be in Vancouver regardless, but I can’t find where I saw that now. I wasn’t sure if they’d be able to swap the game venue depending on where they finished maybe?

18 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I could’ve sworn I saw it reported that it will be in Vancouver regardless, but I can’t find where I saw that now. I wasn’t sure if they’d be able to swap the game venue depending on where they finished maybe?

I don't think that's possible. 

What's more likely if we top our group we play R32 in Vancouver. 

If we're 2nd we play R32 in Toronto. The 2nd place team may be sent to the other side of the bracket so it may make sense to send them East.

If we are one of the best 3rd place teams we could be sent anywhere basically 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

If we're 2nd we play R32 in Toronto. The 2nd place team may be sent to the other side of the bracket so it may make sense to send them East.

I dont think so.  usually its like this in the knock out round

A1 vs B2 in the city where A1 played its group stage matches 

and 

B1 vs A2 in the city where B1 played its group stage matches 

A 48 team tourny complicates the above scenario a little bit because of the best 3rd place teams.  but the idea is the same.

Assuming that both A and B groups will be in the pacific time zone cluster, the R32 match (involving Canada) will not be in Toronto.  Unless Canada is one of the best 3rd place team, then they could end up anywhere.   @archer21 is probably thinking of an article on the CBC website, which is more detailed than others I have seen and that one makes sense to me. 

Edited by Free kick

On 2/4/2024 at 1:32 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Olympic Stadium Montreal to be refurbished in time for last minute World Cup bid

Just kidding, but there will be an announcement on Monday that they will finally replace the roof.

Off topic, but I want the post to be seen in an active thread, I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any comment on the Big O news  I think it's great, sorry for the hijack, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Off topic, but I want the post to be seen in an active thread, I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any comment on the Big O news  I think it's great, sorry for the hijack, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I have been following this story with interest over the past two days.  Read several reports (Mostly in French).   I would say that its pretty much no longer a sports story.    The stadium has hardly any vocation for sports teams and events anymore and since the Quebec government pull the plug on the WC 2026 bid 3-4 years ago, it doesnt really have any impact to WC 2026.  Other than the fact that the Quebec gov't got very luck in that they withdrew their bid early enough in the process so as to not get egg on their face as a result of having to withdraw after being award the WC and learning that the extent of repairs would be for nearly a billion dollars and that the stadium wont be ready to open until well after the 2026 WC.

To my original point about the future vocation,  what they're thinking now is more in line of a concerts and trade shows vocation for the stadium.  The Montreal Impact are the only team that use it and it might be 1-2 times a year. In short, this is barely related or not really related to WC 2026.

Edit.:  on second thought,  it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had they not bailed on WC 2026 and done the proposed upgrades based on what was known at the time (ie.: replacing the surface for approx 100 Mill).   And then find out much later we know now that it wont be possible to open the stadium for 2026.   There would have been a lot of people with egg on their faces.  The RIO,  the city of Montreal, FIFA,  CSA,  WC 2026 organizers

Edited by Free kick

25 minutes ago, Free kick said:

To my original point about the future vocation,  what they're thinking now is more in line of a concerts and trade shows vocation for the stadium.  The Montreal Impact are the only team that use it and it might be 1-2 times a year. In short, this is barely related or not really related to WC 2026.

Edit.:  on second thought,  it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had they not bailed on WC 2026 and done the proposed upgrades based on what was known at the time (ie.: replacing the surface for approx 300 Mill).   And then find out much later we know now that it wont be possible to open the stadium for 2026.   There would have been a lot of people with egg on their faces.  The RIO,  the city of Montreal, FIFA,  CSA,  WC 2026 organizers

It's the Alouettes training facility, or maybe now I can say it was, if they're shutting the building down.

I am forever vacillating whether I think it is a good idea or not, I think it is because they are going to do it right this time.  Unfortunately, the time to have done this was before the WWC but better late than never.  I think this will get rid of the stigma of failure.

I had the good vibe for Herdman and I get a good vibe for this.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:49 AM, Free kick said:

I dont think so.  usually its like this in the knock out round

A1 vs B2 in the city where A1 played its group stage matches 

and 

B1 vs A2 in the city where B1 played its group stage matches 

A 48 team tourny complicates the above scenario a little bit because of the best 3rd place teams.  but the idea is the same.

Right but there can be, like, C2 vs E2 can't there? Because of the extra third place teams needing to take on group winners. So obviously we'll know more ahead of time, but you can plan for some runners-up to still retain "host"ing privileges

There was a post making the case that having 3rd place teams advance creates some drama and intrigue on the final day of group matches.   Well, in fact, there is a case that's been made that it has opposite effect.   

With some third place teams advancing, it will mean that some of better teams will not need to put in the maximum effort during group play.  You will advance , in a the 24 or 48 team tournament format, with just three draws in group play because that will give you 3 points and goal diff of zero.   Furthermore,  the better teams in the groups that play their final group matches in later days will be able to manipulate their results to better position themselves in the knockout stages.  For example,  if by losing means going to an easier side of the bracket,  there will be every incentive to rest your best players or not even try to win. 

Without the scenario of the best 3rd place team advancing (ie.: in a 16, 32, 64 team tournament), you need at least four points to ensure advancing.   Hence you cant lose two games and similarly, you might not advance with 3 draws.  

We have seen these scenarios in the past. Especially the one whereby teams who played very poorly in the group stage, advance and go very deep or even end up winning it all.   In short,  for the better teams, the current format turns the group stage into a series friendlies or preparatory matches for the knockout stage..  

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

There was a post making the case that having 3rd place teams advance creates some drama and intrigue on the final day of group matches.   Well, in fact, there is a case that's been made that it has opposite effect.   

With some third place teams advancing, it will mean that some of better teams will not need to put in the maximum effort during group play.  You will advance , in a the 24 or 48 team tournament format, with just three draws in group play because that will give you 3 points and goal diff of zero.   Furthermore,  the better teams in the groups that play their final group matches in later days will be able to manipulate their results to better position themselves in the knockout stages.  For example,  if by losing means going to an easier side of the bracket,  there will be every incentive to rest your best players or not even try to win. 

Without the scenario of the best 3rd place team advancing (ie.: in a 16, 32, 64 team tournament), you need at least four points to ensure advancing.   Hence you cant lose two games and similarly, you might not advance with 3 draws.  

We have seen these scenarios in the past. Especially the one whereby teams who played very poorly in the group stage, advance and go very deep or even end up winning it all.   In short,  for the better teams, the current format turns the group stage into a series friendlies or preparatory matches for the knockout stage..  

This hasn't been borne out IMO.

For one thing, trying to "game" a better knockout position is far easier in a 16 or 32-team tournament - you already know where you'll end up, i.e. A2 vs. B1. In a scenario where best third-place teams advance, there's a lot more up in the air unless you're the final group to finish (which would happen anyway).

Not sure anyone actually goes out and puts in less than maximum effort either. Look at Portugal 2016, yes they drew all 3 games and went on to win the whole thing, but not because they took their foot off the gas. Cristiano Ronaldo dragged them kicking and screaming to those 3 points.

The tournaments with 24 teams haven't shown that big teams treat the groups as friendlies any more than usual. By the third group game, even if they've locked up advancement (which happens all the time in 16 or 32-team tournaments anyway), they're still trying to position themselves as group winner to (hopefully) get a third-place team

Edited by themodelcitizen

22 hours ago, Vasi said:

How do we fix this? 

If having a WC cant help us fox our Federation, noting xan help. This is so sad!

Short answer it doesn’t get fixed. Not until people start pointing fingers and saying this is why and this is who is working against the best interests of the  NT development. 

Edited by Ottawafan

1 hour ago, Vancouver Fan said:

Question: Does anyone think there is an advantage to purchasing a Canada Red-Gold membership? It's supposed to offer "Premium Access to FIFA World Cup ticket allotment". It's $150 per year. 

that was probably referring to the last WC, and hasn't been updated cause... it's CSA. 

2 hours ago, Vancouver Fan said:

Question: Does anyone think there is an advantage to purchasing a Canada Red-Gold membership? It's supposed to offer "Premium Access to FIFA World Cup ticket allotment". It's $150 per year. 

I don’t know but I have shelled out the $150 in the hope it does as tickets are going to be scarce