2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

If I lived in Toronto, I certainly would buy a city package of a bunch of games.

I honestly don’t understand anyone who wouldn’t want to see as many games as their financial situation would allow no matter who’s playing in them, and as long as it’s not at the same time as our lads. 

I also think that any comparisons between an under20 tournament in 2007 and this tournament is like comparing apples to colonoscopies. 

Edited by Califax

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

image.png.725a3019f6ddc09eb3c12b306ab3694a.png

Exactly.  I said that a package is not worth it.  But I don't see that that equates to: "Bemoaning that hosting a WC in their city is disappointing because it "only involves Canada's first game". 

But now that you have brought it up,  yeah i agree that Toronto did get a raw deal by not getting the extra game and not getting the R16  game.  So someone should be bemoaning.  But I am not.   I am probably going to try to buy the single game ticket for the opener.  If i can get it at non extortion prices.  

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Also surprised Gillette Stadium got a QF... the stadium is old and 40 kms outside of downtown Boston.

Robert Kraft is (reportedly) a close friend of Gianni Infantino.    During the candidacy process,  Few had Boston making the cut.  Mostly for the reason's you mentioned.  Boston, not only made the cut but also gets a QF game.

Edited by Free kick

Does Fifa take all the gate in these events, or is it shared with the local Federation? If there is sharing, wouldn't the CSA prefer to host in Vancouver given BC Place holds a lot more people?

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Also surprised Gillette Stadium got a QF... the stadium is old and 40 kms outside of downtown Boston.

2001 isnt that old plus they’ve done some extensive renos in the past few years. Its built around the same time as Seattle, Houston and Philly stadiums and is much newer than Kansas city. 

heck dallas and new jersey stadiums opened in 2009 and 2010 respectively so not that much newer. 

Edited by king1010

USA and Mexico, despite not having to travel across the continent, get one more day of rest than us between games 1 and 2. Seems like an odd choice. I do believe we get 1 more day of rest than our game 2 opponents, though I don't think they will have to go from the east to the west. I'm guessing the game in Vancouver on June 13th is the other game from our group. I'm going to grab the first 3 days of games from Wikipedia, and make my assumptions for the games not involvoing USA, Canada, or Mexico. Since we don't have group names yet, I just called them Canada's group, Mexico's group, USA's group, and "Group 4".

Date No. Stadium City Region Notes
June 11, 2026 1 Estadio Azteca Mexico City Central Tournament opener; involving 23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Mexico
2 Estadio Akron Zapopan Central Assuming Mexico's group
June 12, 2026 3 BMO Field Toronto Eastern Involving 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada
4 SoFi Stadium Inglewood Western Involving 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States
June 13, 2026 5 Gillette Stadium Foxborough Eastern Assuming Group 4
6 BC Place Vancouver Western Assuming Canada's group
7 MetLife Stadium East Rutherford Eastern Assuming Group 4
8 Levi's Stadium Santa Clara Western Assuming USA's group

1 hour ago, Kent said:

USA and Mexico, despite not having to travel across the continent, get one more day of rest than us between games 1 and 2. Seems like an odd choice. I do believe we get 1 more day of rest than our game 2 opponents, though I don't think they will have to go from the east to the west. I'm guessing the game in Vancouver on June 13th is the other game from our group. I'm going to grab the first 3 days of games from Wikipedia, and make my assumptions for the games not involvoing USA, Canada, or Mexico. Since we don't have group names yet, I just called them Canada's group, Mexico's group, USA's group, and "Group 4".

June 11, 2026 1 Estadio Azteca Mexico City Central Tournament opener; involving 23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Mexico
June 12, 2026 3 BMO Field Toronto Eastern Involving 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada
4 SoFi Stadium Inglewood Western Involving 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States

I am glad you included a column for the region.  Because that part is key to understanding the logistics of the process.  And it also explains why cities like Edmonton and Denver were not selected.   And why they went out of their way to bring Vancouver back into the process.  North America poses a problem for hosting the world cup.   The whole concept was devised on the premise of a European nation as host.   That means that you can easily and quickly travel from one end to the other in reasonable time by train or bus.   In 1994 this was the biggest complaint that people had and therefore you knew that they weren't going repeat the same mistakes.  There were similar but smaller echoes about the 2007 U20.    Visitors wont come if they have to waste two weeks of time and money on multiple long flights across time zones.   National FA's would have the same contraints for their teams.    By clustering,  only a handful of teams will have to have zip across time zones prior to the quarter finals stage.  

If one looks at schedule carefully and looks at final three days of group stage and the how the coloured boxes are stacked above each other,  you can tell how the groups will work and how the cross over to the R32 and R16 will work.  Recall, final group stage matches have to be played simultaneously.  Hence, there are very few "stray matches" in the schedule.  The opening game in Toronto will be a stray match (ie.: a game where both teams will be playing outside their group and time zone).  So other than the game in Toronto,  no one will travel outside the cluster/ region until the QF's or maybe even the semis.  

PS.:  The US matches will be played in LA (opening game) and then Seattle for the next two.  Not at Levi's stadium.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Kent said:

The 6 days between matches sort of negates the travel concerns I think.

We had 4 days between games in 2022.

One thing I didn't see noted is that if we top our group our next 2 possible knock out games would still be in Vancouver. 

I wonder if we finish 2nd if we would head back to Toronto?

57 minutes ago, Free kick said:

PS.:  The US matches will be played in LA (opening game) and then Seattle for the next two.  Not at Levi's stadium.

According to FIFA's PDF of the schedule, USA's first and third games are both at Sofi stadium (LA). Only their 2nd game is in Seattle.

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

2001 isnt that old plus they’ve done some extensive renos in the past few years. Its built around the same time as Seattle, Houston and Philly stadiums and is much newer than Kansas city. 

heck dallas and new jersey stadiums opened in 2009 and 2010 respectively so not that much newer. 

The problem and the big beef with Gillette stadium is that its located so far out of the city centre.  Its in a small neighboring town.   The commuting options are poor and this is exacerbated by the fact that visitors would own/have thier own car

Just now, narduch said:

One thing I didn't see noted is that if we top our group our next 2 possible knock out games would still be in Vancouver. 

Yeah, I heard this mentioned on CP24. I haven't heard any mention on if Toronto would be a possibility for Canada in the knockout round. I was hoping it would be something that could be figured out with the given info, but it doesn't look like it. No idea how the crossovers are happening, let alone how the 3rd place teams will come into play.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

If one looks at schedule carefully and looks at final three days of group stage and the how the coloured boxes are stacked above each other,  you can tell how the groups will work and how the cross over to the R32 and R16 will work.  Recall, final group stage matches have to be played simultaneously.  Hence, there are very few "stray matches" in the schedule.  The opening game in Toronto will be a stray match (ie.: a game where both teams will be playing outside their group and time zone).  So other than the game in Toronto,  no one will travel outside the cluster/ region until the QF's or maybe even the semis.

Can you elaborate on this? How can you make sense of the R32 and R16? I can't see any way to figure out where Canada would play if we finished 2nd or one of the best 3rd place finishers.

And how can you tell that no one will leave their cluster until QF's? That seems very unlikely or even impossible, since we don't know what regions the best 3rd place finishers will be coming from.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

According to FIFA's PDF of the schedule, USA's first and third games are both at Sofi stadium (LA). Only their 2nd game is in Seattle.

Yes.  I just checked the fifa page and it confirms what you said.  But i could have sworn that on the broadcastm, they said differently

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Yes,  it will be in Vancouver if you were to cluster the matches.  And if canada tops their group.  Unless Canada finishes second then it will likely be another pacific time zone city.   

Edited by Free kick

8 hours ago, Kent said:

Can you elaborate on this? How can you make sense of the R32 and R16? I can't see any way to figure out where Canada would play if we finished 2nd or one of the best 3rd place finishers.

And how can you tell that no one will leave their cluster until QF's? That seems very unlikely or even impossible, since we don't know what regions the best 3rd place finishers will be coming from.

They have always maintained that they want to keep teams in the same cluster  right up until 1/4 finals.   But you raise a good point about the best 3rd place team.  I haven't thought of that.   Yes,  i think that the first place team in the group in Vancouver (which includes Canada)  would logically stay in Vancouver for the R32 match.    The second place team would play the first place team in the adjacent group at their home group / city for the R32 match.   But yes,  the best third place team would have to move to another city, who knows where.

Edited by Free kick