2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

A few journos have been speaking about 2026. Seems like Quebec has no interest in helping fund the bid in Montreal. 

We know BC pulled out early. Now apparently Edmonton has no yet received any support from Alberta's gov.

Finally, a more ominous tweet from Sandor

Edited by VinceA

Yup always felt like we were just a bargaining tool. It never really made sense without that buy in or he infrastructure. 

Even Toronto at BMO is a massive stretch to believe games will be there just based on the limited expandable capacity of what 40k-45k. There must be some sort of minimum for WC stadiums.

Interesting times ahead if no money is provided by the governments. Every stadium needs massive upgrades to host World Cup games.

Edited by Shway

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Even Toronto at BMO is a massive stretch to believe games will be there just based on the limited expandable capacity of what 40k-45k. 

The Ford family has always been big into CFL and not so much soccer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNdlWox3CBs

I'm not sure there will be Ontario provincial funding unless the Toronto Argonauts are planning to stay at BMO Field.

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The Ford family has always been big into CFL and not so much soccer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNdlWox3CBs

I'm not sure there will be Ontario provincial funding unless the Toronto Argonauts are planning to stay at BMO Field.

Argonauts need to go to a revitalized lamport stadium at 15K capacity. I don’t hate the argos, they just need a better atmosphere for the people who care about them - bmo ain’t it.

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yup always felt like we were just a bargaining tool. It never really made sense without that buy in or he infrastructure. 

Even Toronto at BMO is a massive stretch to believe games will be there just based on the limited expandable capacity of what 40k-45k. There must be some sort of minimum for WC stadiums.

Interesting times ahead if no money is provided by the governments. Every stadium needs massive upgrades to host World Cup games.

My first thought was that this may be a consequence of the precarious financial situation governments find themselves in, since the global financial system on the edge. Not easy to commit to funding a future sporting event when you have serious and immediate concerns in the present. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a similar thing play out in the US, with certain states and cities no longer willing to fund this. The difference however is the plethora of options they have down there. We were already starting short to begin with.

Mexican governments may be more willing to fund this tournament given the popularity of the sport.

The silver lining if we cannot host is that we'll have to earn our way to the big dance, which I like. Being gifted a spot is really not the same as earning it, and I believe we are good enough to earn it. 

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

My first thought was that this may be a consequence of the precarious financial situation governments find themselves in, since the global financial system on the edge. Not easy to commit to funding a future sporting event when you have serious and immediate concerns in the present. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a similar thing play out in the US, with certain states and cities no longer willing to fund this. The difference however is the plethora of options they have down there. We were already starting short to begin with.

Mexican governments may be more willing to fund this tournament given the popularity of the sport.

The silver lining if we cannot host is that we'll have to earn our way to the big dance, which I like. Being gifted a spot is really not the same as earning it, and I believe we are good enough to earn it. 

Mexico will host what 10 games - they more than enough adequate infrastructure where money won’t be required for them to update their stadiums. They have the historic Azteca, chivas stadium, Monterrey stadium, Atlas Stadium....all those stadiums can host 50k+. 

Their issues are far less than ours, we got old ass untouched stadiums in Commonwealth, and the toilet bowl in Montreal. 

I do like the idea of earning the spot, knowing that two powerhouses will be granted automatic spots. 

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Mexico will host what 10 games - they more than enough adequate infrastructure where money won’t be required for them to update their stadiums. They have the historic Azteca, chivas stadium, Monterrey stadium, Atlas Stadium....all those stadiums can host 50k+. 

Their issues are far less than ours, we got old ass untouched stadiums in Commonwealth, and the toilet bowl in Montreal. 

I do like the idea of earning the spot, knowing that two powerhouses will be granted automatic spots. 

Good point on Mexico and similarly the US has adequate infrastructure as well, so funding would also be less necessary for them too, at least if we are talking about Stadiums. 

It really is too bad we find ourselves in this situation, because we could have really used this event. Hopefully it is not dead for us, but if it is the boys will really have a chip on their shoulder to make sure we qualify.   

I can imagine a scenario where it's just Toronto and BMO that ends up hosting the WC in Canada. It'd be something at least.

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It really is too bad we find ourselves in this situation, because we could have really used this event. Hopefully it is not dead for us, but if it is the boys will really have a chip on their shoulder to make sure we qualify.   

I can imagine a scenario where it's just Toronto and BMO that ends up hosting the WC in Canada. It'd be something at least.

I think this event would only “be good for us” if all our major cities were involved. It makes it feel like we are actually involved. If it’s just Toronto it will be embarrassing to me, and as a country we need to promote other parts of our country. I know Toronto is the best city in Canada😏 but damn can we put some other cities on the global map. Tbh if it’s just Toronto- I rather not, due to the price guaging that will happen. I rather not host any games at all tbh. Remove our name from the branding, get our money back, and put it back into our infrastructure and programs.

I’ve always said we were just a pawn for the US and Mexico bid. 

27 minutes ago, Shway said:

Excellent observation and I will add to that -

The USSF greediness on the bid is UNDENIABLE. As you put it, despite having enough infrastructure to host way more game, they got used like us and bullied into taking only

• 10 games
  • No games past the round of 16
  • no opening or closing ceremonies

There's a difference for governments to spend hundred of millions of dollars on stadiums, but for only 3-4 games? That's insane. Governments only return are tax revenues from people spending into the economy but how much of that are we going to get after 3-4 watered down games (US will keep the best groups) and our party will be over less than halfway through the event - meaning no one's sticking around or spending here when the party is down south.

No matter how painful it is for me to say this as a fan - from a provincial government perspective, that's was the logical thing to due, especially in a COVID economy where people lost their jobs

We would have needed more games and us being in the event much longer to have made fiscal sense.

This sucks because there's nothing "United " about a 60-10-10 split.

40-20-20 split with playoffs would have made more sense and harder to say no from governments.

Next time it's CONCACAF turn, let's host it solo or partner with Mexico 20/25 years down the road and we'll have the infrastructure.

Unless Ottawa takes 100% of the bill, BMO Field might be it for us

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I think this event would only “be good for us” if all our major cities were involved. It makes it feel like we are actually involved. If it’s just Toronto it will be embarrassing to me, and as a country we need to promote other parts of our country. I know Toronto is the best city in Canada😏 but damn can we put some other cities on the global map. Tbh if it’s just Toronto- I rather not, due to the price guaging that will happen. I rather not host any games at all tbh. Remove our name from the branding, get our money back, and put it back into our infrastructure and programs.

I’ve always said we were just a pawn for the US and Mexico bid. 

I don't disagree with you here, but the unfortunate reality is that Canada just doesn't have many global cities. If we did they'd be on the map already. It is events like the world cup that can help our cities get there, but for whatever reason we are unable to take advantage of the opportunity.

Toronto walks the walk of a true global city. 

Vancouver is a burgeoning, if not legitimate, global city, but they turned their nose at FIFA. Not saying they were wrong to do so, but they made their choice.

Montreal is also an important city, but it has a very shameful sporting infrastructure for a city of it's size, influence and reputation. I am not sure refurbishing the big O ever made sense. The Impact (yes I am still calling them that) and the Alouettes are never going to need a 50K stadium. Furthermore, why would the private or public sector even think of investing in stadia with governments proving they can pull the plug on attendance and pro sports at any time?

I am not convinced the concept of attending sporting events will return to what it was anytime soon, perhaps ever. That's a discussion for another day though. Point being is that Montreal is definitely a global city, but they were handicapped from the beginning by questions and concerns surrounding that big white elephant.

Calgary is obviously smaller and less significant than any of those 3, but it's population is big enough and growing fast enough that it needs to start getting more ambitious. However, it's current sporting infrastructure is even more shameful than Montreal's. The Saddledome and McMahon are the oldest stadiums in their respective leagues. Cavalry are definitely never going to need a 50K stadium, and you can't build a stadium for 3 games (or less). If I reach I may convince myself that the Stampeders would have justified a 50K stadium pre-lockdowns, but again, any investment money for stadiums is going to be waiting on the sidelines to see how the next year or two play out with government shutdowns.

Edmonton with all due respect is trying, but it does not seem to have enough ambition to push it toward global status, not anytime soon anyway. Like Calgary, it has the population numbers and the population growth, but it is not as ambitious (ICE district aside) as Calgary, which like I said has work to do before it can be taken seriously on the global stage. I went to Commonwealth for the WWC in 2015. I very much enjoyed it. It kind of felt appropriate for a world cup match in a weird way. I do hope they get the funding for whatever they need. It's too bad the city's transit and other amenities are not up to snuff. 

Ottawa I have never visited, so I can't really comment. All the other cities are too small / insignificant to be in the global city conversation.

By the way, this was not a slight on anybody's city. I really like all those places for different reasons. Just wanted to go on a bit of a tangent on how far we need to go in terms of having more global cities. It's a little frustrating because all 6 should have been in the position to bid, but for one reason or another only 3 tossed their hat in the ring to host the world cup, now we are down to 2 by the sounds of it (maybe even 1).

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Hmmm ya, not sure, the last games I watched at the Azteca (on TV), the place looked pretty rundown.  Don't forget, its not just capacity they look at.  It's the media boxes, infrastructure, etc....  

All I see is the Canadian governments not giving a puck about anything soccer.  We already know they're not funding CANMNT, Same goes for the provinces, it's just an immigrant sport anyway.  However if a pee-wee hockey tournament were to come along.....

Yes, I'm bitter.

Edited by costarg

Given the current state of emergency, not to mention the economy, no government will be caught making any commitments at this time. 

Best thing to do is simply wait a couple of years, and proceed on the assumption it will all work. By 2023, everything will have changed.

I'm sure however, that a lot of people will get their panties in an unnecessary twist about this, as they do about so many other things that become moot.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

The USSF greediness on the bid is UNDENIABLE. As you put it, despite having enough infrastructure to host way more game, they got used like us and bullied into taking only

• 10 games
  • No games past the round of 16
  • no opening or closing ceremonies

There's a difference for governments to spend hundred of millions of dollars on stadiums, but for only 3-4 games? That's insane.

This is why I don't mind if we can't host. Hundreds of millions for just, what, max 7 games? 4 Canada games max? I'd rather see Canada host at least half the tournament in 2046.

The one thing about this joint bid was that it gave Canada the opportunity to host some games (and 10 was a joke that I always assumed might get bumped up) was that it didn't require construction of white elephant stadiums, since the existing ones could be used. Granted they'd need some upgrades, but that would still be cheaper than all new stadium construction. 

I do not ever see Canada hosting a solo bid. There's always too many countries willing to throw enough money to host it themselves.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Given the current state of emergency, not to mention the economy, no government will be caught making any commitments at this time. 

Best thing to do is simply wait a couple of years, and proceed on the assumption it will all work. By 2023, everything will have changed.

I'm sure however, that a lot of people will get their panties in an unnecessary twist about this, as they do about so many other things that become moot.

This is the dose of realism required.  In the midst of huge COVID spending and deficit budgets, no one is going to come out guns blazing and commit hundreds of millions of dollars for a sport tournament.  I get that we all like footy but it really doesn’t register as a driving issue for governments in Canada.   Politicians are not going to sacrifice themselves on the altar of the WC just to appease some soccer nerds.  That doesn’t mean that the money won’t be provided in the end.  It is just the reality of where the political climate is right now.  

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Didn't they only give us 10 games? 3 cities should work fine. You could easily pull that off with Toronto, Edmonton and 1 of Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton or Ottawa.

Could do it in 2 if one really wanted. Some US locations got 4 group-stage games plus a playoff game.

Push come to shove, you could put 5 games in one stadium, even in the group stage. Used to be quite common in earlier World Cups.

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

Didn't they only give us 10 games? 3 cities should work fine. You could easily pull that off with Toronto, Edmonton and 1 of Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton or Ottawa.

Of that group, only Toronto and Edmonton are left as bidding cities. And I think the Alberta government already said they weren't going to fund it either, but Edmonton is still technically in because the city owns the stadium. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't disagree with you here, but the unfortunate reality is that Canada just doesn't have many global cities

To be fair, not many people new other cities besides Rio and Sao Paulo or Moscow and St.Petersburg.

That's the appeal of a World Cup allowing the world to see what else you have to offer besides the 2-3 cities most people know.

Let's get on with those 10 games.

Next time it's Concacaf turns, we should be much further ahead and hoping for us to host solo.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this bid. I think Fifa has to temper their expectations given the circumstances. With that being said, I tIthink the Canada bid will stay.

It's completely understandable why the Quebec government isn't putting money into Olympic Stadium. It's a money whole and might get used 10 times a year. Plus, the city if I'm not mistaken has already committed $250 million for a new roof. 

Edmonton's bid will be unique, considering the city has no money right now, however, the province did commit money towards Calgary's Olympic bid. 

Commonwealth needs the least renovations and I think not putting money towards the event would be a mistake. Edmonton gets five games where 56,000 people will attend? That's how many thousands in bars, hotels, etc? Look how much the WWC made, it was a great investment and the plus is that FIFA's been there before. 

I know Toronto is basically a slam dunk, but 45,000 people in BMO field is going to be a shit show. Good luck, and it might need another renovation. 

As for Vancovuer.... They can't get in anymore. They didn't submit a bid and their province already said they wouldn't put money towards it, all be it, during a split government. If you say no to FIFA they probably won't look back, it's unfair to all of the other cities. 

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions