Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

After watching our U20s there are a couple of take aways:

- we could sure use a guy like Jebbo but I am. It sure we have anyone capable of setting him up with decent chances. 
- That non mudpit field is beautiful.  

Well if we had Dias up the middle, Koleosho on the left and Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty on the right. 

why can’t Canada have nice things. 

7 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Well if we had Dias up the middle, Koleosho on the left and Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty on the right. 

why can’t Canada have nice things. 

Hey our Men's team is going to the WC. In youth soccer we are never going to get all our best players. We don't have the depth  compared to Mexico and the US, so the few youth players on MLS teams will not get released by their clubs. I doubt JMR or Kosi would be released by TFC for example. We just need more  prep camps/games/better coaching. If we do, there's no reason why we can't be top 3 in our region like our Snr team

Yeah not too worried about Jebbison. If he becomes too good, he’ll commit to England and we won’t even be in consideration, and if he falls short of the England team, which there’s a very good chance of that happening, he’ll fall to us. No point in fretting when we’re competing against a national team that is in a completely different stratosphere than ours.

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah not too worried about Jebbison. If he becomes too good, he’ll commit to England and we won’t even be in consideration, and if he falls short of the England team, which there’s a very good chance of that happening, he’ll fall to us. No point in fretting when we’re competing against a national team that is in a completely different stratosphere than ours.

generally true but it does happen: OH, Tomori, Jonathan DeGuzman, Cristante.  At one time, most of us thought the last 3 had no chance with England, Netherlands & Italy. Jebbo would have to be a consistent starter and score at a decent pace in the EPL to have a chance. Ivan Toney had a remarkable first season but did not get called up to NL for example.

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

generally true but it does happen: OH, Tomori, Jonathan DeGuzman, Cristante.  At one time, most of us thought the last 3 had no chance with England, Netherlands & Italy. Jebbo would have to be a consistent starter and score at a decent pace in the EPL to have a chance. Ivan Toney had a remarkable first season but did not get called up to NL for example.

Yeah, of course it's possible, but like you said, for him to get on England's radar, he'd have to be an ascendant star in the EPL. If that does happen, if he becomes Sheffield's best player next season and England adds him to their WC roster (about as likely as a CPL player signing with Real Madrid), then Canada can't do anything, it's England we're talking about.

I guess I look at it as the opposite of hockey- if Jebbison was playing hockey, he could come up in England's system, but ultimately, if Team Canada gives him the call, England is boned, because most players want to compete at the apex of their sport.

FWIW....Jebbison scored 7 goals in 20 games for Burton Albion in League 1 at the age of 18. 

Ugbo scored 2 goal in 16 games for Barnsely at the same age, in the same division.

Obviously there's a lot of factors which probably make this comparison foolish, but it does make me wonder if Jebbison's ceiling is higher than Ugbo's. 

51 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Hey our Men's team is going to the WC. In youth soccer we are never going to get all our best players. We don't have the depth  compared to Mexico and the US, so the few youth players on MLS teams will not get released by their clubs. I doubt JMR or Kosi would be released by TFC for example. We just need more  prep camps/games/better coaching. If we do, there's no reason why we can't be top 3 in our region like our Snr team

I do find it frustrating that we don't have Kosi or JMR (to a lesser extent since he's coming back from injury) for the U20 tournament. Philadelphia let multiple players go to the tournament. San Jose let Cowell go, and he's a pretty important player on their team. It's not like Toronto's whole team would be leaving. Even if they just let Kosi go, its pretty damning that they feel they couldn't survive without him.

1 hour ago, SoCalTransport said:

Jebbison will come to Canada, when all of his options with England have vanished. 😇

I used to think he was on the verge of joining Canada, but this is my take now too. I think he'll stick with England youth teams for another few years and then make the switch to Canada and hopefully will be competing for the second striker spot.

8 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I do find it frustrating that we don't have Kosi or JMR (to a lesser extent since he's coming back from injury) for the U20 tournament. Philadelphia let multiple players go to the tournament. San Jose let Cowell go, and he's a pretty important player on their team. It's not like Toronto's whole team would be leaving. Even if they just let Kosi go, its pretty damning that they feel they couldn't survive without him.

That's where Toronto is at though. If Toronto were top of the standings (where they belong) and Philly were struggling with form and injuries, it may have been different. To see those guys featuring in the V-Cup win softens the blow for me, at least. 

Sad to say, but even with those guys I think our U-20 would struggle. I don't have a lot of confidence they qualify for the U20 WC, let alone the Olympics. We just haven't given the boys the prep they deserve. There are obviously talented players there, but it took a route of St. Kitts to see any confidence or team spirit from this group! The fact that's what it took for them to look like they were having fun and playing as a confident team suggests to me what we already know, that we basically just threw a bunch of teenagers together and said have at it. I don't even blame Biello that much, really. What did they have prior to this, one camp? And several of the players at that camp weren't selected for this tournament, right? Just feels like a lost generation to me, sadly, so considering all the circumstances those two TFC guys getting some valuable time is a silver lining for me. 

Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Wasn’t he hurt for most of the U20 stuff ? 

for Jebbison - look he’s  playing for England U19 - playing in beautiful stadiums, vs way better competition, where European scouts are, plus England has better training facilities, a true professional environment, playing with worlds next stars. Canada is playing against St.Kitts in a muddy with holes field death trap of a stadium with zero fans. If we want our young stars playing for Canada we have upgrade our programs plus force Concacaf to do better. 

Players need to feel valued and taken care off. Young players want to advance their careers. Canada needs to look like if I play for Canada I can do that. This why going to these youth World Cups and playing vs U19 England side in Friendlies are important. 

Edited by SpecialK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, costarg said:

You just know that Southgate is gonna cap tie him if he goes on any significant streak.  He's proven it in the past with the young dual nationals, while ignoring hotter single nationality guys.  He's just that cynical and openface lies about it to boot!  

Ivan Toney still hasn’t been called up and I would be  shocked if Jebbison ever matches some of the seasons Toney has had.

9 hours ago, Floortom said:

Ivan Toney still hasn’t been called up and I would be  shocked if Jebbison ever matches some of the seasons Toney has had.

Toney apparently has Jamaican eligibility too, so if Southgate hasn’t been cynical in capping a dual here. Toney isn’t exactly “young” in the way Jebbison is right now though.

I might be being naive about this, but for all we (and he) knows, Southgate might be gone in 6 months!  So, I don't understand why he would care about a longer term project like ensuring that Jebbison is tied to England. Unless that sort of call is coming from someone else with longer timelines in mind than Southgate ...