Camp Poutine 2021 @ IMG in Florida Jan 9 -24

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I still don’t understand why were are playing scrimmages when everyone around us is playing friendlies? Maybe it lets Floro and Ayo take us for a test drive? Surely that must not be the actual reason for it though, right?

Number of subs, officials, length of game are all factors in whether it can be “official.”

With a lot of dual nats on the list, the choice is really:

1) play a friendly without a lot of the guys you really want to see in live circumstances, if they even show up, or

2) play two scrimmages against the USMNT with those guys. 

I'm OK with 2. Especially since the atmosphere won't be different right now. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

lol I bet Floro would love to take us for a test drive. 

Move over Larin and Cavallini, make room for Andre Hainault!

Hey, that strategy somehow worked with David Edgar coming on for Junior Hoilett back in 2016!

https://vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/five-whitecaps-head-to-canada-camp-ahead-of-a-frenetic-2021-schedule

Interesting quote from Bair. 

“I’m just excited for the future of Canada soccer. We have a lot of special players coming up. They’re all quality and I think that everyone should tune in and watch these U.S. games if possible, because they’re going to be special so watch,"

Maybe something might get streamed or they are at least expecting the games to be a bit more than just a scrimmage?

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

https://vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/five-whitecaps-head-to-canada-camp-ahead-of-a-frenetic-2021-schedule

Interesting quote from Bair. 

“I’m just excited for the future of Canada soccer. We have a lot of special players coming up. They’re all quality and I think that everyone should tune in and watch these U.S. games if possible, because they’re going to be special so watch,"

Maybe something might get streamed or they are at least expecting the games to be a bit more than just a scrimmage?

Hopefully that isn’t just a naive assumption on his part.   Given the amount it time that has passed since our last viewable game, one would hope that the CSA would make some provision to at least stream it, but I doubt a relatively  small number of die-hard fans are their top priority now. 

On 1/3/2021 at 9:01 PM, BearcatSA said:

Inevitably, there will be some pull outs from this camp for a variety of reasons.  I am intrigued to see which guys get called in their places.  For instance, Bustos is the only guy who played this past year in CPL, so I wonder if any others from there get a look as a replacement player?  Depending on the position, I wonder if Baldisimo (or Teibert or Bair, for that matter) end up getting called up.

Bair looks like he's getting the call from the taxi squad so Bustos remains as the only CPL call up to this camp, so far

26 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Is there an updated list of players attending? Seems a bit discombobulated at this point. How are we gonna argue over players if we don't even know who's there?

Out: Flores, Corbeanu Fraser and Millar(apparently)

in: Rutty, Bair 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

I thought Wheeler talked about Fraser picking up and injury?

Supposed to be some formal announcement about the squad and an update today I think?

Wheeler was saying Flores was still due in camp as of the time he recorded that update. Hoping that Corbeanu will be released to fly over after this weekend (yesterday's fa cup game) again a) dont know when they recorded the segment and b) its Wheeler!

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Wish Ballou had gotten one of the late callups. Played pretty comparable amount to Shaffelburg this season, but has so much more talent then alot of our players. Just because Henry hates him doesn't mean Herdman has to.

I hear you.  Same here.  So much has been said and assumed it's hard to understand what is really going on.  I just wish we could see him get 10 games straight in a role he can express himself to see what he's really capable of.  He obviously can't play a fullback role, why put him in that role just to see him fail and accuse him of not following instructions?

He's obviously more of a creative/attacking player, he sees things others don't when moving forward.  Just like a #6 isn't capable of playing attacking soccer and an artist can't be an accountant. 

More obvious and successful examples would be Ozil and Pirlo.  No one is asking them to play defensive because they just can't.  They aren't lazy, they just don't have that skillset.  Not every team can use a creative midfield talent, the #10 isn't very fashionable at the moment, but just like a back 3 its just trends and coach preferences.  Some teams will pay for a player like Ballou, but he needs to play for that to happen.

He needs to find a coach that believes in him and can get the most out of his natural instinct.  Leaving Ballou on the bench and trying to mold him into something he's not won't help him or the team formerly known as the Impact.