Camp Poutine 2021 @ IMG in Florida Jan 9 -24

48 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Not a surprise given the UK situation. Theo is less of a worry as he is ours and might also get some minutes for wolves this or next week. 

Flores might pass us by now. Maybe Herdman calls him up in March? If only to be in attendance and not cap tie.

Once again Covid provides the barrier to our progress. 

I had the same thoughts, Theo is with the Wolves first team right now so it's not a big deal if he's not there. Flores not being able to make it sucks, I doubt he'd get a token call up for WCQ games. I haven't paid attention to other competitions happening this year, I know the Gold Cup will be in the summer but are Olympic qualifiers still happening?

34 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Not a surprise given the UK situation. Theo is less of a worry as he is ours and might also get some minutes for wolves this or next week. 

Flores might pass us by now. Maybe Herdman calls him up in March? If only to be in attendance and not cap tie.

Once again Covid provides the barrier to our progress. 

devastating news

23 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

devastating news

Maybe not the worst for Theo, he gets to stay involved with the first team developing, this will age me,  but I recall Steve Kindle came back for some internationals and when he returned to Belgium he never played again (obviously different stories but many Canadians have lost there spot in the order after coming home).

Marcelo Flores doesn’t seem close to committing to any nation, nor does it seem possible. England or Mexico aren’t going to cap tie him any time soon.

He clearly wants to give Canada a look and he’ll get a shot soon enough. It would be very odd to have an intention to try out Canada and then just let it go because of travel restrictions. 

All good for both him and Theo. If we’re playing intra squad matches we’ll need to call replacements though. Maybe Pasher and Bair would be suitable given the positions. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Flores might pass us by now. Maybe Herdman calls him up in March? If only to be in attendance and not cap tie

Would he have to file his one time switch or U16 doesn't count, making him eligible to play without committing to us?
Because playing in WCQ isn't a cap-tieing situation anymore.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Would he have to file his one time switch or U16 doesn't count, making him eligible to play without committing to us?
Because playing in WCQ isn't a cap-tieing situation anymore.

Good question. I am sure there would be a way to have him with the squad to see the set up as a guest rather than calling him up or filing for any switches if that is the aim. 

Missed that about WCQ. What is the logic behind that?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

No I think the rule now is that you can play up to 3 official matches and still switch, so he would be right, I think.

@toontownmanTo add based on my understanding....

- and ANY appearance at a FINAL tournament (i.e. World Cup, Euros, Gold Cup, Asian Cup, Copa America, AFCON, Nations League Semi/Finals)

So for perspective:
USA could lock Akinola in if he plays at Nations League finals or the Gold Cup. Thats his cap-tieing situation. For us it's him filing his one-time switch to represent us in any match not named a training match.

In Marcelo's case he hasn't declared for any nation, so if he appears in a WCQ for Canada or Mexico...he can still file a one time switch.

In Yankovs case, he is 1 or 2 WCQ/EQ games away from being cap-tied to Bulgaria with no option of one-time switching.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Shway said:

USA could lock Akinola in if he plays at Nations League finals or the Gold Cup. Thats his cap-tieing situation. For us it's him filing his one-time switch to represent us in any match not named a training match.

Akinola will be 21 before the end of the month (by the time the next competitive game occurs).

If he plays a single non-friendly senior level match for the USA he is cap-tied to them. If he files his one-time switch for Canada he is cap-tied to us.

---

Flores hasn't played competitive football at any level (U17 or U20). I think he doesn't want to play in an official friendly for Canada so he can still try is luck with Mexico at youth level.

---

In the case of Yankov (why are we talking about him here?), he becomes ineligible if he plays:

-one more senior game for Bulgaria (friendly or not) he wouldn't be eligible for Canada.

-any competitive UEFA "U21" game for Bulgaria after July 28th 2021 (after he turns 21)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

13 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Akinola will be 21 before the end of the month (by the time the next competitive game occurs).

If he plays a single non-friendly match for the USA he is cap-tied to them. He he files his one-time switch for Canada he is cap-tied to us.

---

Flores hasn't played competitive football at any level (U17 or U20). I think he doesn't want to play in an official friendly for Canada so he can still try is luck with Mexico at youth level.

---

In the case of Yankov (why are we talking about him here?), he becomes ineligible if he plays:

-one more senior game for Bulgaria (friendly or not) he wouldn't be eligible for Canada.

-any competitive UEFA "U21" game for Bulgaria after July 28th 2021 (after he turns 21)

I forgot to add he age part, thanks.

In the case of Yankov he’s still a possibility so I see why he’s still being talked about.

How about a CAS case for Tomori though 🤪

39 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That's dead. It didn't work for Munir to go to the CAS and it won't work for Fikayo. He f**ked up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munir_El_Haddadi

nah man, Munir is different. 
He appeared in 5 different U-21 games playing a total of 257 mins! Thats almost 3 full games. One of those games was a play-off game.

Fikayo played 6 measly minutes! There's gotta be a case.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

He appeared in 5 different U-21 games playing a total of 257 mins! Thats almost 3 full games. One of those games was a play-off game.

As far as the rules are concerned though, there isn’t a case. Unless they change the rules again, he can’t make a switch because he was too old when he played those 6 minutes.

13 hours ago, Shway said:

Thing is, Munir is a good striker and quite honestly, I think he could find his way back onto the Spanish National Team. He's at Sevilla, they are a top team, he gets on a run and he's back on. And the Spanish NT is being reworked, with surprises striking like Oyarzabal, youth like Ansu Fati, until recently ignored players like Fabian Ruiz.

So him taking the case to the CAS was fine, but I don't think it'll mean he'll be vetoed from Spain. He was born and raised Spanish and if he deserves it he'll be back in.

For Tomori, he has a longer way to go to get back into the England picture. His case might make more sense for him personally, as he far less likely to get back into an England squad. A much more complicated path. So I'd say he should try if he feels he wants an international career. 

Nothing listed yet for us, but Elo has updated their website with 7 January friendlies in the region. We already knew about Puerto Rico's 3 matches (01/19 at Dominican Republic, then 2 in Guatemala on 01/23 and 01/26). Panama has 2 away friendlies (01/19 in Martinique, 01/22 in Guadeloupe), and the 2 that were added to the website today were Serbia at Dominican Republic on 01/25, and Serbia at USA on 01/31.

I highly recommend you watch this. Atiba is in the fold for March. We were supposed to play Japan in Austria in November. We were then supposed to play Panama in Panama and in Florida here, but that was changed. It looks like 2 scrimmages versus the USA now. Flores has been in regular talks/zoom calls with Herdman and Herdman wowed Arsenal with his presentation. Bair is in, Marshall-Rutty is in and Fraser is out. 

On 1/6/2021 at 2:35 PM, Shway said:

@toontownmanTo add based on my understanding....

- and ANY appearance at a FINAL tournament (i.e. World Cup, Euros, Gold Cup, Asian Cup, Copa America, AFCON, Nations League Semi/Finals)

So for perspective:

In Marcelo's case he hasn't declared for any nation, so if he appears in a WCQ for Canada or Mexico...he can still file a one time switch.

In Yankovs case, he is 1 or 2 WCQ/EQ games away from being cap-tied to Bulgaria with no option of one-time switching.

I'll tack on with information as far as I know as well - to my knowledge, the big asterisk here is gonna be that if they were to switch, three years would have had to have passed before their switches could be filed. So, taking Yankov's case for example, he'd also not have to feature in another match for the next 2 years and whatever months, lest that timer get reset.

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:
Liam Millar is out of a squad he was never even called for. Wild times 2021.

Maybe only @spitfire knows but maybe Liam Millar was going to be added to the camp IF AND ONLY IF no loan deal came through in time. I assume he was on the original roster like Theo Corbeanu and got removed before it was published on December 23rd when the Charlton loan started to look more likely.

------------------------------

Ok here is the timeline:

Players start arriving tomorrow.

The official camp starts on Saturday January 9th.
½#CanMNT vs  ½#CanMNT scrimmage on Wednesday January 13th
#CanMNT vs #USMNT scrimmage on Sunday January 17th
#CanMNT vs #USMNT scrimmage on Saturday January 23rd

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Any hope we are watching these scrimmages?!

I still don’t understand why were are playing scrimmages when everyone around us is playing friendlies? Maybe it lets Floro and Ayo take us for a test drive? Surely that must not be the actual reason for it though, right?