USA National Team Watch

Macksam

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

I just read the piece:   here is what he said: 

“They're a fantastic team,” Aaronson said of England in a Monday media roundtable ahead of the USMNT’s friendly vs. Morocco on Wednesday. “They have such a depth in the roster, and the kids that they have coming up, it's a tremendous team.

“But for us, I feel like we don't fear anybody. I mean, we're young, but we have some older guys, but I think we're perfect in that sense: We're not afraid of anybody,” he added, pointing to the “old heads” on this chronologically young squad. “We're going to give it our all in this tournament. We're not going to go to the World Cup to be a participant, we're going there to win. England's in our group, and we're going to try to win this game. So I think that we have no fear and they should fear us.”

What's wrong with that?  

Its the same thing JH is preaching to our guys and what our guys are saying and that I would expect our guys to say.     

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I just read the piece:   here is what he said: 

“They're a fantastic team,” Aaronson said of England in a Monday media roundtable ahead of the USMNT’s friendly vs. Morocco on Wednesday (7:30 pm ET | ESPN2, UniMas, TUDN). “They have such a depth in the roster, and the kids that they have coming up, it's a tremendous team.

“But for us, I feel like we don't fear anybody. I mean, we're young, but we have some older guys, but I think we're perfect in that sense: We're not afraid of anybody,” he added, pointing to the “old heads” on this chronologically young squad. “We're going to give it our all in this tournament. We're not going to go to the World Cup to be a participant, we're going there to win. England's in our group, and we're going to try to win this game. So I think that we have no fear and they should fear us.”

What's wrong with that?  

Its kind of the same thing JH is preaching to our guys and what our guys are saying and that I would expect our guys to say.     

I have no problem with having that attitude, but I think it's how he communicates it.

Yes, England are a great team, but so are we and we don't fear them, but they should fear us. That's basically what he said, but perhaps not what he meant, if you know what I mean (or maybe it was).

The other thing is that it's the second strike for me with that kid. After the draw in Nashville he basically said we didn't deserve the point because we bunkered like cowards. Now, he didn't actually call us cowards, but that was the energy of what he was saying, basically that if we opened up they would have beat us, so it wasn't fair.

So perhaps I would give him the benefit of the doubt had he not said that about us.

I hate the kid. But if he was Canadian I would love him. I like his tenaciousness in the attack. 

I think he’s there second best player after McKinnie. His style is similar to Tajon, it’s just he’s able to do it across the front three and effectively through the middle.

So tbh, it’s the Canadian mindset where some would see that as arrogance and not confidence.

But anyways fuck him and them.😁

There is a huge difference between saying “we fear no one” and “that team should tremble before us”. The former is confidence, the latter is arrogance and is tantamount to what he effectively said.

Borjan said something similar about the US but he said it as a fact (they do fear us, not “they should fear us”) and he said it after we beat them in Hamilton, which has a different context to what this American dickhead said about England.  

If anyone wants to see a typical English reaction to getting the US as their pot B team in their group check out the Thogden/ Thogdad World Cup reaction video on YouTube where they are jumping for joy at getting what they think is the easiest team in that Pot. It’s just one reaction but I suspect that’s the amount of “fear” the English will have about facing the US. 

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

If anyone wants to see a typical English reaction to getting the US as their pot B team in their group check out the Thogden/ Thogdad World Cup reaction video on YouTube where they are jumping for joy at getting what they think is the easiest team in that Pot. It’s just one reaction but I suspect that’s the amount of “fear” the English will have about facing the US. 

That was what i had in mind with my post above.  Some were making reference to american arrogance in soccer.   Then all i could think of was the reaction, in the days following the WC final draw,  in all the fleet street headlines that we read and all the podcasts i listened from respected British media sources covering this subject.   

I listened and read to some other non-english reaction from europe and i didnt sence anywhere near the same over confidence or dismissing of group opponents from other countries.   Other than maybe that croatian guy in LA.   The french reaction was very complimentary and respecting to their group opponents.  Heard similar (from what i was able to find) from french belgian media. 

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

After the draw in Nashville he basically said we didn't deserve the point because we bunkered like cowards. Now, he didn't actually call us cowards, but that was the energy of what he was saying, basically that if we opened up they would have beat us, so it wasn't fair.

This part i agree with. 

Edited by Free kick

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The English are even more arrogant than the Americans when it comes to soccer so that tracks.

Aaronson's comments about Canada echoed almost exactly the comment by Hope Solo, somewhat corroborated by Jill Ellis, after the US women were eliminated by Sweden in penalties after a 1-1 draw at the 2016 Olympics. Solo called them "cowards". She, Ellis and other players were criticized for their attitude, as if somehow a rival had the obligation to open up against them to help them break through the defence. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2016/08/12/489844686/after-u-s-defeat-goalie-hope-solo-calls-the-swedes-cowards?t=1654095068020

Apart from being very ignorant comments, they ignore what has later been shown to be a reality: the US women's team is not dominating rivals and is not able to score as readily as they used to.

Anyone one wants to be a favourite has to assume that rivals will defend against them and that their oblilgation is to break down the the defence presented. I think in fact the US mindset is rectified in part with their loss in Hamilton, when players and pundits all criticised the US for not finding answers to our system. And the women, after losing to us in Tokyo, did not repeat the same excuses, so that is a slight evolution. And a better one for the US, in fact, as it suggests that if you are meant to be a favourite, it is only your responsiblity if you don't demonstrate that status.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

34 minutes ago, RS said:

The English are even more arrogant than the Americans when it comes to soccer so that tracks.

Maybe it's more accurate to call the English more "ignorant" than "arrogant" when it comes to NA teams. And then there's the little brother chip on their shoulder vs the Americans.

I actually am constantly surprised how my English housemates seem mostly negative and insecure when it comes to their national team. But ya, they definitely seem to want to feel that they are "at least better the Americans" at one thing. 

Edited by saintjoes

1 hour ago, RS said:

If we're talking pre-2018, then yes, the Brits were arrogant and over confident.  However today, they can be fairly comfortable and confident in their 18 going up against anyone in the world.  They are that talented and deep.

54 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Aaronson's comments about Canada echoed almost exactly the comment by Hope Solo, somewhat corroborated by Jill Ellis, after the US women were eliminated by Sweden in penalties after a 1-1 draw at the 2016 Olympics. Solo called them "cowards". She, Ellis and other players were criticized for their attitude, as if somehow a rival had the obligation to open up against them to help them break through the defence. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2016/08/12/489844686/after-u-s-defeat-goalie-hope-solo-calls-the-swedes-cowards?t=1654095068020

Apart from being very ignorant comments, they ignore what has later been shown to be a reality: the US women's team is not dominating rivals and is not able to score as readily as they used to.

Anyone one wants to be a favourite has to assume that rivals will defend against them and that their oblilgation is to break down the the defence presented. I think in fact the US mindset is rectified in part with their loss in Hamilton, when players and pundits all criticised the US for not finding answers to our system. And the women, after losing to us in Tokyo, did not repeat the same excuses, so that is a slight evolution. And a better one for the US, in fact, as it suggests that if you are meant to be a favourite, it is only your responsiblity if you don't demonstrate that status.

At the same time, we shouldn't judge a nation on one or even two people's comments.  Specifically Solo, she needs to look deep down inside before slandering others.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing. Why are we crapping on a guy for being arrogant towards England when it comes to football? After listening to the announcers during the Champions League final I wanted to throw my TV out the window after 20mins. Good on the Americans for having a chip on their shoulder

2 hours ago, RS said:

True, although they also historically have more reason to be than the States. Also, much of the arrogance is Euro-centric (in that they are more arrogant these days from teams outside of Europe or South America, whereas when I was growing up they were arrogant towards many more Euro teams than they are now) - in that sense, their arrogance doesn't really differ from other other big European soccer nations as it pertains to looking down upon other continents. Many of them seem to think that North America is, outside of Oceania, the weakest region globally for soccer. Maybe that's recently been coloured by England's thrashing of Panama at the last World Cup but four years before that they failed to beat Costa Rica & 4 years before that they failed to beat the US.

Edited by Gian-Luca

Just throwing it out there...If USA beats Morocco and it's a dominant win. Remember when Moroccans were trolling our social media platforms with their 4-0 win in 2016? Would be a shame if their social platforms get trolled by should they lose to USA. 🤔

Even match so far. Morocco look more mature than the States, as you'd expect. Hakimi has been really poor and not particularly in sync with the rest of the team, though he may grow into the game. Seems like the North Africans are edging the possession at the moment, but they've had a couple of sloppy moments in the middle of the park, as have the USA. Morocco seem to be dealing with the athleticism fairly well. On one play Musah drive through the middle of the field but was brushed aside by the Fiorentina midfielder (can't recall the name off hand). The USA probably has better individual attackers, but Morocco look a little more like a team. They are also not playing El Nysri or the other guy from Sevilla who was with Barca (again forget the name). Adekugbe's club mate is one of the strikers, scored 18 goals this season in Turkey, while the other guy scored 21 at Gent. These are probably the back ups, so good pedigree.