Mo Farsi

Reign

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think Farsi to Canada is more likely than it was months ago when the season ended. He didn't move to Ligue 1, as was rumored, nor did he move to the middle east. Moreover, if he didn't get serious Algerian interest off the back of winning MLS cup, what's it going to take for him to get their attention?

Unlikely The Crew repeat as Champions, so unless he becomes an All Star I see things cooling off a bit. 

This isn't a potential Russel-Rowe situation, where the club has a dip but the player may still attract attention with a bunch of goals. As a defender, his stock will generally rise and fall with the success of the team, and there's really only one direction they can go after being Champions... 

I think the level of teams during the playoff run for Columbus, which Farsi was the starting RB, up to and including the finals, is Championship high mid-table level. Bezbatchenko, who I consider one of the top GM's in MLS, is locking him in for 5 years with the full expectation that he'll be able to sell Farsi in a couple of years for a nice transfer fee. 

31 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

I think the level of teams during the playoff run for Columbus, which Farsi was the starting RB, up to and including the finals, is Championship high mid-table level. Bezbatchenko, who I consider one of the top GM's in MLS, is locking him in for 5 years with the full expectation that he'll be able to sell Farsi in a couple of years for a nice transfer fee.

Not sure about that. MLS has developed to the point that simply building a solid team is a financially worthwhile project. Farsi is a solid MLS piece that has value on the field and within the league. Doesn't seem likely at his age that he's going to break through to a higher level and greatly increase his value. He may get sold eventually, but I don't think that's Bezbatchenko's thinking, he wants to build and maintain a winner.

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Not sure about that. MLS has developed to the point that simply building a solid team is a financially worthwhile project. Farsi is a solid MLS piece that has value on the field and within the league. Doesn't seem likely at his age that he's going to break through to a higher level and greatly increase his value. He may get sold eventually, but I don't think that's Bezbatchenko's thinking, he wants to build and maintain a winner.

It's interesting you mention this because I feel like Farsi is in the same vein as Richie Laryea- an excellent MLS player who could probably hang in any 6-10th ranked Euro league (Turkey? Champ? Netherlands?) at his peak, and he's a lot younger than Richie was when he was sold, so I think he's a more interesting get, but on the other hand, what would a team have to pay Columbus to acquire their starting RB coming off a championship? They certainly wouldn't accept the $1M or so TFC got from Forest for Richie. I think the offer would probably have to start around what Montreal got for Alistair Johnston ($6M?), and I don't think anyone is paying that for Farsi, and even at that number, I don't even know if it's worth it for Columbus.

Hearing recently about how many offers Montreal rejected for ZBG because no one wanted to pay their fee, I can see the same thing happen with Farsi- you turn down a bunch of $3M offers from Europe, then one day he's 27, you have a young player with a lot of potential and who is making less money behind him, and all of a sudden it makes sense to either let his contract run out, or in his case, I assume his fate will be getting traded for MLS monopoly money to a contender once Columbus' window closes.

23 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's interesting you mention this because I feel like Farsi is in the same vein as Richie Laryea- an excellent MLS player who could probably hang in any 6-10th ranked Euro league (Turkey? Champ? Netherlands?) at his peak, and he's a lot younger than Richie was when he was sold, so I think he's a more interesting get, but on the other hand, what would a team have to pay Columbus to acquire their starting RB coming off a championship? They certainly wouldn't accept the $1M or so TFC got from Forest for Richie. I think the offer would probably have to start around what Montreal got for Alistair Johnston ($6M?), and I don't think anyone is paying that for Farsi, and even at that number, I don't even know if it's worth it for Columbus.

Hearing recently about how many offers Montreal rejected for ZBG because no one wanted to pay their fee, I can see the same thing happen with Farsi- you turn down a bunch of $3M offers from Europe, then one day he's 27, you have a young player with a lot of potential and who is making less money behind him, and all of a sudden it makes sense to either let his contract run out, or in his case, I assume his fate will be getting traded for MLS monopoly money to a contender once Columbus' window closes.

Interesting take. Comparing farsi to laryea seems a bit wild imo. 

I would love to do a poll to see if the general consensus is that they are comparable. I think richie can make it in a netherlands/turkey team on a lower table squad. I think farsi wouldnt. 

18 hours ago, Bigandy said:

wild that he has 36 games for columbus and 35 for cavalry. It feels like hes been with columbus for so long. 

Wasn't last season his first with the first team? He played 42 matches for them across all competitions last season, while he had virtually two full season in Calgary

12 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Interesting take. Comparing farsi to laryea seems a bit wild imo. 

I would love to do a poll to see if the general consensus is that they are comparable. I think richie can make it in a netherlands/turkey team on a lower table squad. I think farsi wouldnt. 

Just from a peak potential POV. I can see Mo Farsi in 2-3 years being one of the most sought after RBs in the league, just like Laryea is/was. Kinda in that tier of player who could play in a good European league, but who also has to weigh that with just staying in MLS where you’re earning a good salary, you can play for good teams, you’ll always have a spot somewhere etc. 

also didn’t Farsi have interest from a Ligue 1 team not too long ago? Not implausible to believe the same teams in Europe that might’ve wanted Richie in 2021 would go after Farsi now. 

7 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Wasn't last season his first with the first team? He played 42 matches for them across all competitions last season, while he had virtually two full season in Calgary

For sure! You're correct but from a feelings perspective, it feels like he should have way more caps for columbus even though the math doesnt check out... maybe its just me tho. 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just from a peak potential POV. I can see Mo Farsi in 2-3 years being one of the most sought after RBs in the league, just like Laryea is/was. Kinda in that tier of player who could play in a good European league, but who also has to weigh that with just staying in MLS where you’re earning a good salary, you can play for good teams, you’ll always have a spot somewhere etc. 

also didn’t Farsi have interest from a Ligue 1 team not too long ago? Not implausible to believe the same teams in Europe that might’ve wanted Richie in 2021 would go after Farsi now. 

Now that you put it like that, I can see that. I guess my bias is that laryea as a most sought after RB means hes better than farsi as a most sought after RB..... not quite a fair assessment to farsi. 

There was a tweet about the ligue 1 rumour.... I dont think a team was ever announced and certainly no offers. I wonder if theres any legitimacy to the rumours. 

5 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Now that you put it like that, I can see that. I guess my bias is that laryea as a most sought after RB means hes better than farsi as a most sought after RB..... not quite a fair assessment to farsi. 

There was a tweet about the ligue 1 rumour.... I dont think a team was ever announced and certainly no offers. I wonder if theres any legitimacy to the rumours. 

It’s less about comparing one to the other and more about the relative tier they’re in which is a player who could make it abroad but could also just stay in MLS and have a long career as an excellent player making good money and being desired by good teams. Most players leave for Europe either because they’re destined for the top of the world and they can net their team a big fee, or they go because they want to climb the European ladder and see what happens. Farsi and Laryea are in the middle where teams won’t pay a fortune for them- but they will pay something- but both could arguably end up with a better situation as MLS lifers.

I just don’t know if it makes sense for guys like Farsi to demand a transfer abroad, go play in norway or Denmark for two years, hope a Bundesliga team buys you two years later, hope they sell you to a bigger club, hope that club plays European ball, so on so forth, when he had the option to stay in North America, always have a team looking to sign yim, and just make a solid salary over the next 7-10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Algeria just got a new coach last month, Vladimir Petković.

The rumour is that for the March window he has already created himself a 45 player extended squad:

https://www.algerie360.com/equipe-dalgerie-stage-de-mars-les-nouveautes-de-petkovic-deja-connues/

NYCFC's Bakrar is rumoured to be on the list, so he is looking at MLS players, but no Farsi rumours so far.

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsef_Bakrar

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

https://x.com/DZFOOTBALLDZ/status/1770076369608651113?s=20

Honestly insane to use every level of Canada's football pyramid to get to where you are, and then say your heart is elsewhere. 

Emphasis on the word "use". Ironically, on the Algerian board they are not welcoming him with open arms. They can't square that he said "my heart is with Algeria", but "it was a tough decision ". They already smell BS.

8 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

https://x.com/DZFOOTBALLDZ/status/1770076369608651113?s=20

Honestly insane to use every level of Canada's football pyramid to get to where you are, and then say your heart is elsewhere. 

Even more insane considering his parents left Algeria for opportunity.  He benefited from the opportunity and chose to represent what the parents left.  Not the first and not the last.

I'd like Farsi to play for Canada, but there's too many positives with our pool already to shed tears.

Tajon moved to Inter, Davies soon to be moving to Real Madrid, David moving to a big club sooner or later, Bair and Ugbo finding their scoring boots in the UK, Millar impressing and Kone impressing in the Championship, Johnston continuing to be a mainstay for Celtic, Larin soon to play in the Copa Del Rey final.

Again, would gladly have him on board, but can't change his heart and I will happily look forward to watching JRR start and score for Columbus in the meantime, all while keeping an eye and hoping he comes back around.

I will say this though, I disagree about it being "insane" to "use" the Canadian system while your heart is elsewhere. What's insane about that? It sucks for Canada, but how can you fault him for accepting Canadian youth and futsal call ups? He represented this country on the international stage. You can even say we "used" him as well. I am not trying to defend him or others that switch countries, I guess I just have more of a "what do you expect" attitude. He's playing within the FIFA rules, not breaking them. 

On a side note, I think the FIFA rules are garbage. Way too confusing over who is eligible, you have to play x number of games before x age, blah blah blah. Not that we have that issue here or anything, just feel like ranting about it.

Maybe we should not allow any switches ever. You play for 1 nation as a youth, that's it. Would make things hell of a lot more simple. 

Edited by Obinna

Take this for what you will, but from someone close to his team, apparently he had a poor experience with the Canada staff during the Olympic qualifiers a couple years back.  I'm guessing the communication hasn't been there with him and Biello and he's probably still got a bad taste (or even bitter) from that past experience.

I don't agree with it.  I also think it's much more difficult to crack Algeria than it is Canada, but I also think damn... we really need a permanent coach and we need some sort of person in a role above to manage relationships with current and prospective players so that we can enhance our chances with other dual national that are trending towards a top level.  

A player like Niko Sigur, who is on the phone with him and making sure he feels wanted?

Edited by Footyeh

2 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Take this for what you will, but from someone close to his team, apparently he had a poor experience with the Canada staff during the Olympic qualifiers a couple years back.  I'm guessing the communication hasn't been there with him and Biello and he's probably still got a bad taste (or even bitter) from that past experience.

I don't agree with it.  I also think it's much more difficult to crack Algeria than it is Canada, but I also think damn... we really need a permanent coach and we need some sort of person in a role above to manage relationships with current and prospective players so that we can enhance our chances with other dual national that are trending towards a top level.  

A player like Niko Sigur, who is on the phone with him and making sure he feels wanted?

Thanks for that intel. So, he supposedly had a bad experience and yet still it was a difficult decision for him to reject Canada and make himself available to Algeria.

Maybe we (as a group) shouldn't be so quick to cast judgement.