Mo Farsi

Reign

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for that intel. So, he supposedly had a bad experience and yet still it was a difficult decision for him to reject Canada and make himself available to Algeria.

Maybe we (as a group) shouldn't be so quick to cast judgement.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get called into Algeria and then he ends up back in the Canada fold.  Certainly not under Biello, but perhaps if we get a new coach and Farsi is not yet tied, I'm sure they will want to pitch him.

But it's a pretty strong statement to put out there without any actual call-up in hand.  I don't think it was the smartest move.

Edited by Footyeh

Good riddance. He would've been a cool addition to our pool from the perspective of giving us something to post about but I don't think he really has a place on our team, let alone Algeria's, and I don't think he'll ever be good enough to get accepted by his #2 choice in the same way that Hoilett or Eustaquio were. I can sympathize with his point about Canada calling his agent but Algeria calling him personally, but this dude isn't just a guy who was raised in Algeria and spent a few years in Canada with weak ties. He grew up on the plateau. He played for NDG. He did a whole sentimental video last year about how special Montreal is to him and how proud he is to be, but his heart is apparently in Algeria, a country, where he already tried to go play and spent like half a year playing precisely zero minutes on the bench before coming back to Canada to ply his trade.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for that intel. So, he supposedly had a bad experience and yet still it was a difficult decision for him to reject Canada and make himself available to Algeria.

Calling BS on this. Koleosho accepted calls. Mitrovic would've accepted calls. Those guys made tough calls. Mo Farsi didn't even want to be on our 60-man roster. He's not exactly in a position to say "I have no interest in playing for Canada", and this is a nice thing to say, but let's be serious about his intentions here.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Calling BS on this. Koleosho accepted calls. Mitrovic would've accepted calls. Those guys made tough calls. Mo Farsi didn't even want to be on our 60-man roster. He's not exactly in a position to say "I have no interest in playing for Canada", and this is a nice thing to say, but let's be serious about his intentions here.

I call BS on this take. Koleosho and Mitrovic accepted calls because it didn't tie them, which is exactly what Farsi did. 

If you subscribe to the "don't burn bridges" mantra, then saying he has no interest in playing for Canada (anymore) is a poor decision on his part. Conversely, there are times in life you need to burn the bridges behind you to push you to your goal. 

And we are just upset and emotional because we are on the losing side of it.  

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He did a whole sentimental video last year about how special Montreal is to him and how proud he is to be, but his heart is apparently in Algeria, a country, where he already tried to go play and spent like half a year playing precisely zero minutes on the bench before coming back to Canada to ply his trade.

This is a Canadian reality. You can be a proud Montrealer, Torontonian, Calgarian, etc. AND be a proud "whatever your ethnic background is". Not saying I even agree with that, but it is the Mosaic mindset pushed on the citizenry of this Country. 

Edited by Obinna

If Farsi  supposedly had a poor  experience with the U23s it could have been because he didn't play much?  But we had ZBG on the right and Godinho, who was very good for the U23s, on the left, so I can understand why Biello went with those 2 vs Farsi. I think this is worse than Flores electing to play for Mexico as he was mostly developed in England and spent many yrs away from Canada. I've moved on. Time to focus on the guys who want to wear the shirt.

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:
48 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

Emphasis on the word "use". Ironically, on the Algerian board they are not welcoming him with open arms. They can't square that he said "my heart is with Algeria", but "it was a tough decision ". They already smell BS.

Ya, to put greater emphasis on what@Joe1973 has said, just read the comments. It's just people roasting him and insults. 😬

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I call BS on this take. Koleosho and Mitrovic accepted calls because it didn't tie them, which is exactly what Farsi did. 

If you subscribe to the "don't burn bridges" mantra, then saying he has no interest in playing for Canada (anymore) is a poor decision on his part. Conversely, there are times in life you need to burn the bridges behind you to push you to your goal. 

And we are just upset and emotional because we are on the losing side of it.  

Both have explicitly voiced interest in playing for our senior team. Farsi did not. I believe he is being honest in saying that Algeria was his first choice, I just don't buy that it's a difficult decision. A difficult decision means you go to each camp, you get a feel for the squad, all of that, and then you make the call. Or at least you make it known that you'd be open to it. Or you post a little Canadian flag in your Instagram bio. Anything. Just don't buy this was a tough decision for him. I understand that he said all this on what is basically Algeria's version of the Northern Futbol podcast, and they likely reached out to him knowing Algeria had contacted him recently, so there is context, but I don't think he's a player who is good enough to be this public about his national team decision and then come back to Canada with his tail between his legs when he's 27 and uncapped. Fortunately, it's very unlikely we ever cross paths with the Algerian team barring a very flukey World Cup draw- and funny enough we'd likely play them on home turf- so either he never gets called up or he does and it's irrelevant to us, so at least he's just going to be yet another non-Canadian MLS player among the hundreds others.

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is a Canadian reality. You can be a proud Montrealer, Torontonian, Calgarian, etc. AND be a proud "whatever your ethnic background is". Not saying I even agree with that, but it is the Mosaic mindset pushed on the citizenry of this Country. 

It is, and many of us live this reality, although it's obvious that his ties to Canada run a lot deeper than his ties to Algeria given that he was born, raised, developed, and grew his career here. Algeria's league did not give him a chance. The CPL did. Would've been a lot more okay if he spared the sentiment and just said that his choice was always Algeria, there was no backup choice, it was Algeria or bust. Most of our dual national losses either grew up in other countries or were born abroad. Farsi is a Montreal boy. On the other hand, as much as he would be awesome for us, I would never hold anything against Bounou for not choosing us, for example (not that he was ever an option).

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

To me there is a difference btw being "proud of your ethnic background" and where your "loyalty" lies. Just take a look at the CMNT. David could have played for the US etc etc etc. 

42 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get called into Algeria and then he ends up back in the Canada fold.  Certainly not under Biello, but perhaps if we get a new coach and Farsi is not yet tied, I'm sure they will want to pitch him.

But it's a pretty strong statement to put out there without any actual call-up in hand.  I don't think it was the smartest move.

Seems like he’s being poorly advised 

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

To me there is a difference btw being "proud of your ethnic background" and where your "loyalty" lies. Just take a look at the CMNT. David could have played for the US etc etc etc. 

|If you want to draw comparisons with David, then we should say he could have played for Haiti.

Ultimately, David played for the stronger team. And that seems to be what Farsi is aiming to do.

The difference here is that David was/is so good both options were firmly open to him. Doesn't seem to be the same for Farsi. 

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Both have explicitly voiced interest in playing for our senior team. Farsi did not.

Okay? What are you saying here? That Mitrovic and Koleosho deserve more credit? Farsi is the only one of the 3 who wore the Canadian jersey. 

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I believe he is being honest in saying that Algeria was his first choice, I just don't buy that it's a difficult decision. A difficult decision means you go to each camp, you get a feel for the squad, all of that, and then you make the call. Or at least you make it known that you'd be open to it. Or you post a little Canadian flag in your Instagram bio. Anything. Just don't buy this was a tough decision for him.

What does he have to gain to lie about that on Algerian NFP?

And this is not me saying he for sure was being honest, I have no way of knowing. Same for you, I am assuming, unless you know him personally. 

22 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't think he's a player who is good enough to be this public about his national team decision and then come back to Canada with his tail between his legs when he's 27 and uncapped.

Here's where I 100% agree.

25 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It is, and many of us live this reality, although it's obvious that his ties to Canada run a lot deeper than his ties to Algeria given that he was born, raised, developed, and grew his career here. 

His ties run deeper to Montreal.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Okay? What are you saying here? That Mitrovic and Koleosho deserve more credit? Farsi is the only one of the 3 who wore the Canadian jersey. 

I'm saying that's what a "tough decision" looks like. A player who shows interest in playing for two different countries. Farsi has never shown any sort of interest for playing for our senior national team that I know of. Doesn't exactly scream "tough decision" to me. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What does he have to gain to lie about that on Algerian NFP?

If it doesn't work out with Algeria, it's probably in his best interest to not have any damning quotes about Canada tied to him. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

His ties run deeper to Montreal.

Just like they are for most Montrealers, but that's irrelevant when it comes to selecting your national team.

End of the day, he's allowed to feel however he wants about where he's from or where his heart is at or whatever- he has one career, he should lead it how he chooses. I just don't buy that it was ever a tough decision, I think it's one he made a long time ago, and Algeria was probably more explicit about their interest in him than they were previously, so he can be public about it. 

You brought up the example of this would be like if Jonathan David played for Haiti, but he was actually born here- I think this is like if Alistair Johnston decided his heart was with (Northern?) Ireland. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Here's where I 100% agree.

Funny that this is the point we agree on, because I think that in all likelihood, if he doesn't get called by Algeria and we do have a spot on the roster for him, we'd probably give it to him. It's a business after all. I do hope we end up too deep at that position to even give him an opening. I think we may already be. If not, if what people are saying about Sigur eventually coming to play for us in a few years, I think that would shut the door on needing Farsi (or if any other RB/RWBs make themselves known).

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

You brought up the example of this would be like if Jonathan David played for Haiti, but he was actually born here- I think this is like if Alistair Johnston decided his heart was with (Northern?) Ireland. 

Except only one of his parents are from Northern Ireland and as far as I know he's never lived or played in Northern Ireland. I guess my push back also comes from this: at the end of the day who are we to question how little or great someone's feelings are to their parental lineage, which you did address just now to be fair. Anyway, if he really feels strongly he wants to be Algerian in soccer terms, then fine. We'll be here waiting when he is uncapped at 27, as you say.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

While there's certainly a passion play here, he's probably not loving seeing at least three names ahead of him at RWB depth for Canada which has to factor in.

This is a key part of it IMO. 

But at the same time it makes it even more odd he'd shut out Canada completely. If you are 3rd in our depth chart you probably aren't 2nd (let alone 1st) for Algeria. I am sure it's passion talking. He seems desperate to play for them. Good luck, I guess. We'll be here waiting once he sorts himself out. And if he never does, then there was much ado about nothing. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Maybe we (as a group) shouldn't be so quick to cast judgement.

How do you figure?

He had one bad experience and we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

How about one bad experience so HE shouldn't be so quick to judge?

I don't accept that we fans are supposed to be mature and understanding and the players can act like children.

Lots of jumping to conclusions. Lots of natural dissapointment. He seemingly hasn't played it very well in public limelight with this but who knows how Canada has played it behind closed doors.

I will say this. I know it is hard to shake growing up with your parents/families and urgo your roots, history and culture, regardless of where you grow up and what benefits that has given you. It's not just making yourself happy but those close to you. The Algerian FA have clearly given him more love and reason to be optimistic of a national future than we have.

I can't begrduge anyone going with what is "in their heart" it clearly wasn't a simply choice. Best of luck to him. Unless he plays Canada. Then I hope he has an absolute stinker. 

As others have said, I wouldnt rule out a change of heart under new CMNT leadership and coaching staff.

Until then.. break a leg Mo ;)

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

This. 

I understand the frustration of him using our youth systems. That said a large proportion of our fanbase is more than happy for the likes of Eustaquio, Jebbison, Dias to name just a few. Easy to forgive Hoilett wasting nearly 10 potential years or his international career and his best playing days being indecisive. It's only an issue if they pick someone else than Canada.

As a pro in a career that can end tomorrow with a freak injury you are taking the opportunities given to you. Agents, counsels and even club coaches reinforce this mantra Ad nauseam these days.

Honestly I don't know if I fully agree or disagree with that. I know it's simply not black or white.

Maybe there should be some type of protection or compensation for national programs that have developed players that represent elsewhere. It's a can of worms in an increasingly transient society that will soon have poola of predominant dual Nationals. It would only end up benefiting the bigger sized nations that churn out more players.

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How do you figure?

He had one bad experience and we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

How about one bad experience so HE shouldn't be so quick to judge?

I don't accept that we fans are supposed to be mature and understanding and the players can act like children.

1) who says he was quick to judge? Doesn't seem like he was quick to judge considering it was a difficult decision for him, supposedly.

2) real mature approach there with your tit for tat attitude.

Potentially dumb question but I have seen a lot of people saying he is far in the depth chart with Algeria or even further, is anyone familiar enough with Algeria to determine where he'd be exactly in their depth chart? Maybe RWB is just less of an area of strength for them than it is for us?

On his decision per say, I tend to be more among the ''you have to consider how things looks like on his end'' side of things, with one caveat.

Personally, it's more his past in CPL that makes the decision somewhat annoying to me than his MTL roots and his past with the youth system. Objectively speaking he probably wouldn't be in a place to be considered by either the Algerian or Canadian programs, or be a wealthy man with a career in his passion, had it not been for the CPL, and therefore the financial sacrifices asked of the Canadian program to make it happen. Considering said sacrifices were discussed publicly enough for any dual national to be at least vaguely aware you'd hope that CPL alumnies would feel at least some urge to give back by choosing Canada if they have any real shot at the line-up...

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

1) who says he was quick to judge? Doesn't seem like he was quick to judge considering it was a difficult decision for him, supposedly.

2) real mature approach there with your tit for tat attitude.

You are saying we should not judge him, but he's free to judge our entire country on the basis of a "bad" experience he had quite a few years ago? As a teen? That is immature.

We are fans, we have every right to judge those who shun representing our country. But in any case, you are trying to take a high ground I believe he doesn't deserve. Unless, of course, we find out what happened and it is so damning we are all forced to say, yeah, we are garbage, better to leave us (if that is what you are into).

At least in many other cases, with ignored or mistreated players, they had real possibilities to go elsewhere and took them when they came up, not like Farsi, who is just dicking around with his Algeria fantasy, while never having the remotest whiff from them. It's childish.