Mo Farsi

Reign

Went 85 (I think) minutes in the Crew’s championship-winning victory over LAFC.  FotMob rating wasn’t great and he got beat by his man for LAFC’s only goal but he contributed to an overall strong game by the team, including a dominant first half.  I never like being anyone’s second choice but he has to be in the conversation for a potential call.  Whether or not he answers is an entirely different issue.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

In 2020 multiple CPL teams refused to bring Farsi in for a trial. Tommy Wheeldon and Cavalry gave him that opportunity. That year he received his first pro minutes and won the U-21 Canadian of the year. 3 years later he started and won MLS Cup.

Farsi could have very well slipped through the cracks and never played pro. This is why CPL is important.

57 minutes ago, shermanator said:

In 2020 multiple CPL teams refused to bring Farsi in for a trial. Tommy Wheeldon and Cavalry gave him that opportunity. That year he received his first pro minutes and won the U-21 Canadian of the year. 3 years later he started and won MLS Cup.

Farsi could have very well slipped through the cracks and never played pro. This is why CPL is important.

Let's hope he commits to Canada and not Algeria.

31 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Let's hope he commits to Canada and not Algeria.

He may have to improve his play further to get an official call to either country, but certainly a Camp Poutine (assuming that the CSA bloody well gets around to holding one) invitation is well warranted.

Edited by Stoppage Time
missed word.

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

He may have to improve his play further to get an official call to either country, but certainly a Camp Poutine (assuming that the CSA bloody well gets around to holding one) invitation is well warranted.

If Camp Poutine even happens, it would be a great zero risk chance for Farsi to be involved without cap tieing. Also give us a chance to see if he can make a step up. Plenty still ahead of him though 

The way I look at the situation is Farsi played a lot more than JRR this season at Columbus, though JRR was called for Jamaica / Gold Cup and was given minutes.

Granted, they play different positions and JRR is a bit younger, but theoretically, it should be difficult for both players to crack the CMNT because of depth at the respective positions. 

Just saying that I don't think Farsi is that far away in terms of quality. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think Farsi is one good season away from being CAMNT quality. He capped off his year starting for the league champions- if he can take a leap and be one of the better RWBs in MLS, he’ll be in the mix for sure. Only issue for him is that there’s traffic in front of him for playing time with us. 

I think Farsi is CANMNT quality right now. No reason why he cannot be pushing Johnston for a spot at RB. There is still room for his game to grow, but it's not like Johnston is a world beater. He starts right now for a Celtic side that bombed out of Europe and is letting their lead at the top of the table slip. 

At the end of the day the case can be made that he is ahead or Richie based on form, it’s also not like he isn’t ahead of ZBG.

The chart is pretty solid though:

AJ/Richie

Farsi ?

ZBG 

i would be comfortable with any of these 4 starting. Gressel is not an easy player to displace, it’s not like Gressel slipped up.

20 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

At the end of the day the case can be made that he is ahead or Richie based on form, it’s also not like he isn’t ahead of ZBG.

AJ/Richie

Farsi ?

ZBG 

i would be comfortable with any of these 4 starting. Gressel is not an easy player to displace, it’s not like Gressel slipped up.

You also have Buchanan, and Sigur if speaking of duals.

On 12/10/2023 at 5:27 PM, SoccMan said:

There is  no question this guy could be called up and if he was to be called up  what justification is there right now that he shouldn’t be ?

There isn't any rational explanation, just dribble.

The same people calling for Borjan to be replaced by Crepeau on the latter's excellent playoff run (and just a few weeks post injury) discard a player who's had an objectively more successful run in the same playoffs.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, Dominic94 said:

AJ/Richie

Farsi ?

ZBG 

Richie is one of the few players along with Larin and maybe Adekugbe whose national team form has been so consistently good over the years that I think it’s hard to justify knocking down the depth chart unless it’s for a player who is a bonafide future stud. Johnston is terrific, so that leaves Farsi ahead of ZBG. I would love to find a way to bring him into the mix, but he just doesn’t play a position we’re light on players in, and he doesn’t have a profile our team is sorely lacking. 

58 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Richie is one of the few players along with Larin and maybe Adekugbe whose national team form has been so consistently good over the years that I think it’s hard to justify knocking down the depth chart unless it’s for a player who is a bonafide future stud. Johnston is terrific, so that leaves Farsi ahead of ZBG. I would love to find a way to bring him into the mix, but he just doesn’t play a position we’re light on players in, and he doesn’t have a profile our team is sorely lacking. 

Laryea and Johnston are both versatile though. Both have played RCB and Laryea can play as a winger. Both could probably do a job in the midfield too. I think sometimes we pay too much attention to position instead of considering who the best players are. Mo Farsi based on this season arguably sneaks onto our 23 man roster. It would mean bringing 3 right backs, but with two of them being versatile it could pave the way for him. That's what I am thinking.

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Who is Sigur? I dont remember him, when did we call him up?  

He's a dual starting for hajduk split at rb mostly. Long term hes likely a cm and lost to croatia, hence my 6-7 as he doesnt fully count. Hes from burnaby and played at york uni before signing in croatia.  Strong canadian ties so thers a 49% chance in my mind he commits to canada. 

57 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

He's a dual starting for hajduk split at rb mostly. Long term hes likely a cm and lost to croatia, hence my 6-7 as he doesnt fully count. Hes from burnaby and played at york uni before signing in croatia.  Strong canadian ties so thers a 49% chance in my mind he commits to canada. 

I love the optimism but despite his Canadian ties being born and raised in BC and then playing for York, he's never been called up by Canada at any level. We basically ignored him (or he flew under the radar), but either way that works against us big time in my mind and negates the "strong canadian ties", at least in my mind. 

I would love to be wrong but come 2026 I think Sigur already has a Croatia cap. What's the equivalent of Camp Poutine in Croatia? Camp čorbanac?

Whatever it is, that's where I see him getting capped and if not he's probably still pushing for a spot with them. 

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I love the optimism but despite his Canadian ties being born and raised in BC and then playing for York, he's never been called up by Canada at any level. We basically ignored him (or he flew under the radar), but either way that works against us big time in my mind and negates the "strong canadian ties", at least in my mind. 

I would love to be wrong but come 2026 I think Sigur already has a Croatia cap. What's the equivalent of Camp Poutine in Croatia? Camp čorbanac?

Whatever it is, that's where I see him getting capped and if not he's probably still pushing for a spot with them. 

I would say growing up and attending university is strong canadian ties, compare that to jebbo who moved away at a young age and it certainly is strong. 

If I were sigur, I wouldnt be deciding my international future based on the fact that both pro academies and/or CMNT youth teams didnt think i was good enough. He's a late bloomer, but surely there are much more important criterion than holding a grudge for not being noticed by scouts - where its easily explainable how he could fall thru the cracks and how its not personal.  Its still a negative but any half intelligent person wouldnt base their entire international career path on emotions they felt as a 15 year old. 

I think its much more likely he picks croatia because they are the better team by far. However theres some pretty major prospects for croatia and some serious depth at cm. He could easily see the mitrovic path and decide to commit to canada. Playing a wc in your home vs a cynical cap tie is quite appealing.....  

Im still 51% convinced he goes to croatia though.

56 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I would say growing up and attending university is strong canadian ties, compare that to jebbo who moved away at a young age and it certainly is strong. 

If I were sigur, I wouldnt be deciding my international future based on the fact that both pro academies and/or CMNT youth teams didnt think i was good enough. He's a late bloomer, but surely there are much more important criterion than holding a grudge for not being noticed by scouts - where its easily explainable how he could fall thru the cracks and how its not personal.  Its still a negative but any half intelligent person wouldnt base their entire international career path on emotions they felt as a 15 year old. 

I think its much more likely he picks croatia because they are the better team by far. However theres some pretty major prospects for croatia and some serious depth at cm. He could easily see the mitrovic path and decide to commit to canada. Playing a wc in your home vs a cynical cap tie is quite appealing.....  

Im still 51% convinced he goes to croatia though.

Fair enough except he's already played for Croatia's youth team. The question shouldn't be "is he gone" the question should be "will he leave (Croatia)"? And what exactly would make him leave? He's on the path to make his full senior international debut, it's just a matter of time. 

I just don't see many straws to grasp on here. Farsi is actually more likely in my mind, simply because he's yet to represent either nation (unless you include futsal). There are exceptions, but playing youth national team games is generally a good predictor of where the player will end up. That's why we need youth games.