Opponent watch: Suriname (why they have the potential to be a tough team)

12 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Suriname team could have a stacked team in June, right now they look good but currently need more depth down the middle, some of those players could commit soon.

Screenshot_20210506-234357.png

Suriname look like a major threat in the region. I have to admit it's concerning.

Herdman talked about the challenge of having European guys being several weeks to a month removed from competitive football. These Eredivisie, Bundesliga and EPL guys would certainly be better than local players, even if they weren't in-season, but you have to wonder whether that impedes them a bit. We have a strong MLS contingent and at least several of our European guys (Davies, David, Larin and Atiba) should have a cutting edge, since they are still playing for something.

I believe Donk is the only one with something still to play for, as even if they can't win the title they'll still be fighting with Fenerbahce for the UCL spot.

As an aside on Donk, he played the last match at defensive midfield for Suriname. Not sure he'll plays there against us or not, but I think it would suit us to have him playing out of position, rather than trying to shut down Larin/Cav/David.

Kind of annoying that this is allowed to happen. Where some small country can make up a whole new team of guys that have never been to the country. I wonder if there is any chance FIFA  limits the amount they would be allowed each year? Probably not if it screws over Canada, but what happens if the US was in our position and lose to Suriname?

It’s within the rules, if your eligible- than your eligible to play. 

France export soooooo many guys to other national teams because they have ancestral heritages. That’s just how developed countries are.

Blame the Dutch for colonizing their Suriname.

All in all a better Concacaf is good for everyone. We are 30 years away from there being “less duals”....but relax guys, no need to get scared.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:07 PM, Blackjack15 said:

I agree with you, this gold generation has yet to accomplish anything. But we should still watch them, talk about them. Because their moment will come where they make history

Im with you Blackjack15 IM super happy how well we have improved since 2015   and believe they will make some history

8 hours ago, Shway said:

It’s within the rules, if your eligible- than your eligible to play. 

France export soooooo many guys to other national teams because they have ancestral heritages. That’s just how developed countries are.

Blame the Dutch for colonizing their Suriname.

All in all a better Concacaf is good for everyone. We are 30 years away from there being “less duals”....but relax guys, no need to get scared.

Yeah France are not the only ones to do this but so do Netherlands, England, Germany now, Italy now hell even Spain is doing it with dual nationals. I mean the point being if players who are Dutch want to switch allegiances to Suriname to play for them, then I don't see why it should matter. We should only be concerned with ourselves at the end of the day and focus on our selves as a unit, as a team.

• 3 weeks later...

Herdman:

"....so I don't think anyone had predicted that in 9 months they'd have 15 new players, all  who've played at the highest levels in the  Eredivisie"

This whole thread and the opinion of at least ⅓ of the posters in it:

@CanMNT Memes :

Jimmy Fallon Prediction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Herdman:

"....so I don't think anyone had predicted that in 9 months they'd have 15 new players, all  who've played at the highest levels in the  Eredivisie"

@CanMNT Memes :

But, with all due respect to Suriname, we’re not talking about a team full of Ajax or PSV regulars. 

11 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Herdman:

@CanMNT Memes :

One point he brings up I didn’t consider is that Suriname will have an extra days rest for the game.  I thought knowing the result of the Bermuda game in advance would be advantageous, but the extra rest is a real drawback.

12 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

One point he brings up I didn’t consider is that Suriname will have an extra days rest for the game.  I thought knowing the result of the Bermuda game in advance would be advantageous, but the extra rest is a real drawback.

Suriname 🇸🇷 still have that potential to upset us considering all the new talent they have now cap tied. We underestimated Haiti 2 years ago and look at what happened? We just cannot afford to get cocky against Suriname but simply we come in and we do our job. If we win, we go on to the playoff against Haiti.

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

But, with all due respect to Suriname, we’re not talking about a team full of Ajax or PSV regulars. 

No they are all mostly Eredevistie journeyman it’s true.  However that’s still a level roughly equal to MLS on average.

We should be able to beat them but I really wouldn’t be surprised if the score is 2-1 or something like that.  They have a quality team in terms of baseline talent now.

6 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Suriname 🇸🇷 still have that potential to upset us considering all the new talent they have now cap tied. We underestimated Haiti 2 years ago and look at what happened? We just cannot afford to get cocky against Suriname but simply we come in and we do our job. If we win, we go on to the playoff against Haiti.

@TGAA_Star to the #CanMNT after we beat Aruba:

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Herdman:

@CanMNT Memes :

I thought of you when I heard him say that.

Out of curiosity, how many of the guys in the original post on this thread have since been called up? Number of players called up ever and number of players called up to this camp would be interesting to see. I'm not curious enough to look it up myself, but curious enough to ask someone else to do it :)

This is the perfect progression for us. If we can't beat Suriname or best Haiti over two legs we don't deserve the Oct or have much chance of doing well in it. 

This is what we have been working towards and this is the next level of opposition which will help prepare us for the Oct and the level of competition we need to be at and excelling in. 

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Taking another look at their roster is terrifying. Their defense especially is much better than ours. I also think they have a much better roster than Curacao.

Take another look at our forwards...continuing to play minnows and breaking records will not get us to where we want. Respectful but confident is how we should go into that game.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Taking another look at their roster is terrifying. Their defense especially is much better than ours. I also think they have a much better roster than Curacao.

Terrifying? Look again. Their guys play in India, Israel, Trinidad, Saudi Arabia, Cyprus the Dutch second division. Their entire midfield is over 30. Warner Hahn their Anderlecht keeper plays very little. Jozefzoon plays in the championship, Becker plays for Union Berlin, Donk plays for Galatasaray yes but he’s also 35 (I know Hutch is 38😉) and Haps is a pretty good player. Other than these four guys (who aren’t terrifying, but are good players) can somebody tell me if I’m missing something? 

The main issue I see with Suriname god beyond just listing their talent. They haven’t played together and there’s probably no familiarity. El Salvador, Honduras, Panama who might be worse on paper probably play more as a team. 

They can put together a strong XI for sure. The difference with our squad is that all our players are in their prime and have experience together. Of course the other difference is we have a couple word class talents while they don’t.

Bermuda with their experience together could shock Suriname. That will be interesting to watch.

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

They can put together a strong XI for sure. The difference with our squad is that all our players are in their prime and have experience together. Of course the other difference is we have a couple word class talents while they don’t.

Bermuda with their experience together could shock Suriname. That will be interesting to watch.

I was thinking about this from a Suriname fan perspective.  They must be thrilled that their team is finally starting to get the talent they have always dreamed of, but upset they have run into Canada at any early stage of qualifying when the team hasn’t maximized its conhesiveness.

53 minutes ago, Alex said:

Terrifying? Look again. Their guys play in India, Israel, Trinidad, Saudi Arabia, Cyprus the Dutch second division. Their entire midfield is over 30. Warner Hahn their Anderlecht keeper plays very little. Jozefzoon plays in the championship, Becker plays for Union Berlin, Donk plays for Galatasaray yes but he’s also 35 (I know Hutch is 38😉) and Haps is a pretty good player. Other than these four guys (who aren’t terrifying, but are good players) can somebody tell me if I’m missing something? 

The main issue I see with Suriname god beyond just listing their talent. They haven’t played together and there’s probably no familiarity. El Salvador, Honduras, Panama who might be worse on paper probably play more as a team. 

I feel like this is really misleading though... like, we have a guy in the Dutch second division, Norway, an expansion MLS team, Korea, Scotland, a 2. Bundesliga team near relegation... you can create any story you want out of that. We still like them though.

Most of their Holland guys are in Eredivisie (Dankerlui, Nelom (out), Leeuwin, Pinas), Leerdam is a good MLS player, Bisewar has been a PAOK winger for much of his career (Cyprus is a loan), Donald is also in Turkey. If you're selective with which parts of the squad you include, you can prove whatever you want. Their starting 11 has a better backline than us. We're the better team, and I think we can take advantage of their entire starting midfield playing out of position, but take their whole squad into account.

I think it's easy to look at a national team's players and their club situation and make conclusions based on that. Yes on paper they aren't at the best clubs, and are older and most probably will duck out after the Gold Cup if Suriname doesn't get passed us (Which is fine I think many will be excited to represent the country of their heritage at their first major tournament since 1977)

However. We are remiss to forget the 2019 Gold Cup where we were huffing and puffing about how great it was to not face Costa Rica and that Haiti was going to be a pushover. They even had a Canadian who we weren't calling because he was in second division Finland (Geffrard) and another one in fourth division Spain (Cantave). What happened? We went up 2-0, the team got comfy and got punched in the face 3 times and boom we were eliminated. We got scored on by a guy not playing or scoring in the Scottish Prem (Nazon), a guy in Ligue 2 (Bazile) and another in Azerbaijan (Guerrier). They then took Mexico to the limit, something I'm not confident we would have done in the semis.

Now Herdman's tactics have come a long way since then and the team is much better now in 2021, particularly on the fullback side than 2019. But I'm not going to look down on any opponent when we haven't shown yet to be a competent team who beats guys we are *supposed* to beat who are stronger than minnows.