Opponent watch: Suriname (why they have the potential to be a tough team)

1 minute ago, sebdeserio said:

That's his inform card he's a 66 and a 68 at Sofifa.com, which is the Fifa ratings but updated weekly based on play.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I was seriously starting to have concerns about the coming match vs Suriname

Yea not me. 

Our team is the one to be feared. They haven't added any world class players, or champions from top leagues. No top scorers in the eredivise. 

If we are getting worried about Surname, than we have no place in the Octo - they will be our meat and drink next month.

Edited by Shway

They didn't have a real striker before now, so Te Vrede will probably slot right in. They already have an everdisie lb, so if they put Ridgeciano on the wing, that could be a front three of Haps-Te Vrede-Becker. 

Anyways, I'd rather talk about what we should do to beat them instead of round 20 million of the 'how arrogant should we be' debate . Their entire starting midfield is playing out of position... we should run a 4-3-3 and suffocate them with Atiba-Eustaquio-Kaye. 

Haps is a quality addition for them. Definitely top 4/5 left backs in Eredivisie. Just unlucky that he got injured at a bad time and now lost his place to Malacia. 

Te Vrede is not that great but he offers them something different at least to what they had already which was just pure pace up front. Te Vrede has some aerial ability but pretty average with his feet.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Yea not me. 

Our team is the one to be feared. They haven't added any world class players, or champions from top leagues. No top scorers in the eredivise. 

If we are getting worried about Surname, than we have no place in the Octo - they will be our meat and drink next month.

I don’t think we should fear them necessarily, but they will be a tough opposition. They’re a better team on paper than some other teams that will qualify for the Ocho. Obviously the game isn’t played on paper, but I’m just saying, they aren’t some minnow that can’t beat us (or almost any CONCACAF team) in a one off. 

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

I don’t think we should fear them necessarily, but they will be a tough opposition. They’re a better team on paper than some other teams that will qualify for the Ocho. Obviously the game isn’t played on paper, but I’m just saying, they aren’t some minnow that can’t beat us (or almost any CONCACAF team) in a one off. 

Nobody is denying that. 

We are still the better team on paper. 
We are still the better ranked team. 
We have shown we are the better team on the field. 

It's been mentioned in the Jamaican thread, about all their incoming players/ and not having chemistry. Same can be said here, but worst. All of our guys have had a few years of playing with each other, and knowing the coaches "system". 

It's not arrogance or ignorance. We just need to eliminate the defeatist mentality. Same thing OZ was trying to mention. 
Call me overconfident, but I see a convincing win happening. As long as we have our key guys available.  

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

We just need to eliminate the defeatist mentality.

I guess you've been in Herdman's "Brain Room" ;) 

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

but I see a convincing win happening

@Shway as coach giving a speech to the #CanMNT players:

"Imagine where you will be and it will be so! Hold the line!"

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

Nobody is denying that. 

We are still the better team on paper. 
We are still the better ranked team. 
We have shown we are the better team on the field. 

It's been mentioned in the Jamaican thread, about all their incoming players/ and not having chemistry. Same can be said here, but worst. All of our guys have had a few years of playing with each other, and knowing the coaches "system". 

It's not arrogance or ignorance. We just need to eliminate the defeatist mentality. Same thing OZ was trying to mention. 
Call me overconfident, but I see a convincing win happening. As long as we have our key guys available.  

After feeling pretty worried about the Suriname game, I am now feeling more optimistic so this post resonates with me. Regardless of whoever they are bringing in, chemistry will be an issue for them. I am thinking we take it 2-0 or 3-1, something like that. I expect a competitive match were we come out on top.

Hopefully Bermuda can do us a favor too. They never had Wells in last window and they beat Aruba 5-0, just one goal less than Suriname did, indicating both of these teams may be closer to each other than to us. Suriname only beat Cayman by 3 goals and were at home, while we smashed them 11-0 without Jonathan David.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

Not sure I agree with that. If we just look at the presumptive 6 group winners (let alone the 3 that will make it to the Ocho):

Canada, Haiti, El Salvador, Panama, Curacao, T&T

Which of these is Suriname better than on paper? Maybe T&T, maybe Curacao? Suriname looks better now than they did a month ago, but let's not cower in fear just yet. Could they beat us in a one-off? Yes. Could they beat any CONCACAF team? No. But we could.

45 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Not sure I agree with that. If we just look at the presumptive 6 group winners (let alone the 3 that will make it to the Ocho):

Canada, Haiti, El Salvador, Panama, Curacao, T&T

Which of these is Suriname better than on paper? Maybe T&T, maybe Curacao? Suriname looks better now than they did a month ago, but let's not cower in fear just yet. Could they beat us in a one-off? Yes. Could they beat any CONCACAF team? No. But we could.

I’d argue they’re better than T&T, El Salvador, Curaçao on paper. Don’t really think any of those teams are head and shoulder above them ON PAPER except for us, if we’re looking only at starting 11s. I’ve acknowledged that games aren’t played on paper, and they’ll be at a big disadvantage for not having played together. Honestly there’s not much reason for us to argue about this, since I think we’re saying the same thing for the most part. They could beat us, but we should be pretty heavily favoured.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

I’d argue they’re better than T&T, El Salvador, Curaçao on paper. Don’t really think any of those teams are head and shoulder above them ON PAPER except for us, if we’re looking only at starting 11s. I’ve acknowledged that games aren’t played on paper, and they’ll be at a big disadvantage for not having played together. Honestly there’s not much reason for us to argue about this, since I think we’re saying the same thing for the most part. They could beat us, but we should be pretty heavily favoured.

I was tempted to say the same thing, but now I am thinking about the baseline talent and considering it to be is higher with El Salvador, and maybe T&T.

For all of their Dutch and European based players, Suriname still had 6 domestic based guys called last window. Now I could be wrong in my assumption, but I am thinking the Salvadorian-based players are stronger than the Suriname-based players. So considering the low end of these rosters, one could argue Suriname is not better then El Salvador on paper, or at least the gap isn't very big. It only takes one weak link on the field for your team to get exposed, as we know ourselves when facing sides like Mexico who are solid top-to-bottom.

Edited by Obinna

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I was tempted to say the same thing, but now I am thinking about the baseline talent and considering it to be is higher with El Salvador, and maybe T&T.

For all of their Dutch and European based players, Suriname still had 6 domestic based guys called last window. Now I could be wrong in my assumption, but I am thinking the Salvadorian-based players are stronger than the Suriname-based players. So considering the low end of these rosters, one could argue Suriname is not better then El Salvador on paper, or at least the gap isn't very big. It only takes one weak link on the field for your team to get exposed, as we know ourselves when facing sides like Mexico who are solid top-to-bottom.

I don’t know enough about how they fielded their team in their WCQ matches but I’d assume those domestic players probably didn’t actually play. Or at least when they had their full squad selection (weren’t they missing a couple Euro guys for their first match?)

I agree though that their squad depth is pretty lacking, so they’ll need everyone to show up and be in form at the same time.

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Well they are not one to be taken lightly that is for sure. However, as far as Canada goes, this team and certainly with this current crop of players this is pretty much as close to a golden generation for Canadian football that I think we have seen in decades really.

Definitely in a "golden generation"...but we still haven't achieved anything yet to solidified the term.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Definitely in a "golden generation"...but we still haven't achieved anything yet to solidified the term.

Yeah but as far as overall talent, then even you have to agree this Canadian team is really talented

I've said it before, I think "golden generation" is a misnomer, I am just hoping this is our "participation ribbon" generation, because my big dream is that they participate in the World Cup. If we manage that, then maybe I'll dream up getting out of the group stage or getting a point or a goal.

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

I've said it before, I think "golden generation" is a misnomer, I am just hoping this is our "participation ribbon" generation, because my big dream is that they participate in the World Cup. If we manage that, then maybe I'll dream up getting out of the group stage or getting a point or a goal.

I definitely think if they quality this generation will get a goal and likely more.  The question will be whether they keep many out.  Whereas in 86, it was 2-0s and 1-0, its more likely to be 4-1 or 3-1 or 4-2.

Edited by An Observer
grammar correction