Opponent watch: Suriname (why they have the potential to be a tough team)

2 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

I know a lot is focused on right now but if Suriname can keep some of these guys around and add more guys from Europe they could be in good shape to leap far up the CONCACAF rankings. You can essentially click on most Eredivisie rosters and there is multiple players with Surinamese citizenship. It’ll be interesting to follow in the years to come for sure.

Yeah if they can continue to pull guys from the Netherlands, they could be a strong team by CONCACAF standards. They’ll have to keep adding though, because a lot of their guys right now are getting up there in age and probably won’t be around come 2026

On 5/30/2021 at 11:35 AM, VinceA said:

they aren't at the best clubs, and are older and most probably will duck out after the Gold Cup if Suriname doesn't get passed us (Which is fine I think many will

Quite a few young Dutch players with Suriname ancestry. I think they'll have a reliable stream of veterans whose Dutch careers never panned out.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Shway said:

Suriname picks up another guy:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Klaiber

ohh wait, we don’t care anymore 🤣...but they’ll have a good gold cup squad.

Now that we no longer have a to worry about them for 2022 or 2026, I'm actually interested to see how this plays out the next few years.  There will be a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 8 CONCACAF teams at the 2026 WC and I don't want to see the snob crowd laughing at blowout results from CONCACAF teams.  It benefits everyone when the confederation gets more competitive.

22 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Wonder why Klaiber commits now instead of for the qualifiers.

They have two strong backs now in their mid 20s. They’ll still be there for the next round of qualifiers.

He may have committed earlier but the one-time-switch may not have gone through quickly enough.