Opponent watch: Suriname (why they have the potential to be a tough team)

1 minute ago, aloyol said:

I never really understood why Kazakhstan is in UEFA. They aren't really good but they would've a better chance to do well in Asia.

The Soviet Union was a member of UEFA. When the USSR broke up, all of the individual republics within the union, regardless of their real geographic location, were given the option to join UEFA independently. Most elected to do so, but some of the ones in Central Asia elected to join AFC instead.

8 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The confederations are all arbitrary anyway.  People get hung up on which continent they're on but does it really matter?  There's a bunch of Central Asian countries in UEFA, Australia in the AFC etc.  

Technically a team from Martinique could win the French Cup and play Europa League. So could Spain's Ceuta or Melilla, inAfrica.

Israel is in UEFA, and we know why, but Lebanon is in Asia. Folks complain about Israel then have nothing to say about nations much further from Europe.

But hey, if Suriname applied to play in Comenbol they could be accepted, why not? Aruba, Trinidad and Curaçao are just off the Venezuelan coast, a short ferry hop. It goes on and on. 

But they should rethink some qualifying, like Oceania. 

It already looks like Honduras and Costa Rica will be struggling in 2026, so right then and there I feel like Curacao and Suriname could take advantage and make some noise.

Suriname got hosed when they drew us, any other team I think they would have won the group and made it through to the play-off.

Also I'm a bit sad that Aruba doesn't seem to have the same pool of players available to them. It would have been awesome for them to also improve and move forward. Although that profile Jon Arnold did on them a while back seems to indicate that the federation is working hard to expand the pool and improve the professionalism of the program.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The Soviet Union was a member of UEFA. When the USSR broke up, all of the individual republics within the union, regardless of their real geographic location, were given the option to join UEFA independently. Most elected to do so, but some of the ones in Central Asia elected to join AFC instead.

That's what I was thinking. My comment was more related to the fact that they aren't anywhere near being competitive in UEFA (AFAIK they never qualified for Euro or WC). Maybe the lucrative aspect as The Real Marc said is the reason why they haven't applied to get back to Asia.

7 hours ago, aloyol said:

I never really understood why Kazakhstan is in UEFA. They aren't really good but they would've a better chance to do well in Asia.

OT, but I do know this one, too. The Asian countries in UEFA were all part of the former Soviet Union, so they already technically played in Europe. Kazakhstan is a special case compared to the others. It is economically and politically closer to Russia than Central Asia, and much of the economy is geared towards Russia, like Canada to the US. Russia still uses the Kazakh Desert for their space launches.

After the fall of communism, Kazakhstan was actually almost half ethnically Russian.  That's why we had Kazakhstan in hockey championships until the mid-2000s.  They were all Russians who suddenly became Kazakh.

Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan weren't really "colonized", so they went their own way and stayed in the AFC.

Sorry, back to talk about Suriname.

On 12/21/2021 at 4:19 PM, VinceA said:

Also I'm a bit sad that Aruba doesn't seem to have the same pool of players available to them. It would have been awesome for them to also improve and move forward. Although that profile Jon Arnold did on them a while back seems to indicate that the federation is working hard to expand the pool and improve the professionalism of the program.

"... working hard to expand the pool..." 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
After a few days of greater sanity, better to remove that pic of the Aruban in her poolside attire.

• 1 year later...