Sign in to follow this  
nolando

Thomas Hasal

Posted (edited)

Born in 1999, Saskatoon native. Former U-20 and current Olympic hopeful goalkeeper who played his first minutes for the senior Caps tonight in a 3-0 loss where Crepeau was injured in min 58. Kept the Sounders off the scoresheet after that and made a tremendous double-save soon after coming in after a bonehead play by Nerwinski: 

Good article on his spring during the pandemic back home in SK: https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/6950638/coronavirus-vancouver-whitecaps-thomas-hasal-saskatchewan/amp/

Edited by nolando

He played well tonight considering the circumstances. We might see him in the next game as well depending on the severity of Crepeau’s injury or if MDS decides to let the kids play in a meaningless game.

Great night for him. So pleased. Looks nailed on he will get his second start in the week. Didnt look good for maxime.

Terrible tournament for the Whitecaps. Lots of Canadians getting minutes though!

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Born in 1999, Saskatoon native. Former U-20 and Olympic hopeful goalkeeper who played his first minutes for the senior Caps tonight in a 3-0 loss where Crepeau was injured in min 58. Kept the Sounders off the scoresheet after that and made a tremendous double-save soon after coming in after a bonehead play by Nerwinski: 

Good article on his spring during the pandemic back home in SK: https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/6950638/coronavirus-vancouver-whitecaps-thomas-hasal-saskatchewan/amp/

In traditional Voyageurs fashion,

OMG a Canadian prospect getting first team mins!!11!!!! Cap him before he commits to Czech Republic!!111!!!

:D

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

These breaks usually go against our guys...but the back up keeper had a family tragedy, Crepeau injured and all of a sudden a year where Hasal might have got no games....he looks to get this one and a start.  Very exciting.

News later today " The Whitecaps have requested an American journeyman keeper from the MLS backup keeper pool after getting council from Greg Vanney".

9 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I read somewhere that the Whitecaps have signed a single match contract with Dave Ayres to play keeper

I heard a commercial on the radio the other day for a car dealership and Ayers is making an appearance. He was billed as “hockey legend” Dave Ayers, one period of hockey gets you legendary status in Leaf Land. 😂 😂 

In the first half - it almost seemed like he was too confident. (Trying to thread the needle, be sweeper keeper).
But he settled down nicely, very vocal and commanding. 

About 120mins, 5 saves, few punch clearances, zero goals against.....the boy is right to be confident!

He's the Caps lucky charm!

Caps can burn for all I care. Hasal though, can't help cheering for a cinderella story and I hope he makes a good run of games.

Posted (edited)

This kid is a beauty. He just needs to improve his distribution. Great shot stopping, and good control of his box and defenders. I hope he gets a chance to play again soon.

Edited by Aird25

You need 3 keepers in the squad. Hopefully Hasal gets more chances after this showing. 

Chuffed for him. Great showing again tonight. @Aird25 is right with the distribution, bit ragged at times but great confidence, heart and stops tonight. Shame Brett Levis had the injury problems he had otherwise I am certain we would have had two players from Saskatoon in the team!

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

You need 3 keepers in the squad. Hopefully Hasal gets more chances after this showing. 

Chuffed for him. Great showing again tonight. @Aird25 is right with the distribution, bit ragged at times but great confidence, heart and stops tonight. Shame Brett Levis had the injury problems he had otherwise I am certain we would have had two players from Saskatoon in the team!

Most 3rd choice goalkeepers are only there for training. A team could probably get by with a rotation of locally-based, top amateur 'keepers, and searching out an emergency signing in case of a long-term injury to one of the other two.