Thomas Hasal

nolando

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Think Hasal just played himself off the team.  They can't put him out again after that.

Felt sorry for him a bit on the second one because the defender did something silly by sending the ball towards the goalmouth rather than out wide away from immediate danger as you get drummed into you as a kid is what needs to happen in that scenario but the first goal was a Christian Oxner level gaffe.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

59 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The thing is too AFAIK the club is high on Anchor so between Hasal, Boehmer and Alexander it sort of makes sense to cut ties with Hasal who clearly isn't up to snuff.

Bohmer isn't good enough either, Anchor still needs a lot of work.  I think what these two benefit from is the games with the 2nd team whereas Hasal was thrown directly into the fire basically his whole career.

I feel for the kid, had a nightmare showing yesterday and his confidence is already probably all the way down since being replaced a week before the season.  We've all seen what he's capable of on his day, but he desperately needs regular matches.  Makes you wonder what Whitecaps plan has been for him, they clearly value him since they resigned him to a decent contract, but they also rejected a few clubs in the last 12 months (I heard one was Sparta Praha).  I'd like to see him take a step back this summer and hopefully take two forward after a full season of playing.

Problem is Hasal will go to the bench for the rest of the summer now, no chance to bounce back.  Sirois had some tough games this year but stayed in the 11 and worked through it.  If the plan was to give him a few V-cup and the rare MLS game, he would have been better off with a SIrois type loan to CPL.  Get 20+ starts.  The guy is still young in keeper years.  But VWC need to have someone around in case Takoka gets injured.  Still kudos to Van, 3 youngish CDN keepers in the mix.  

21 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Problem is Hasal will go to the bench for the rest of the summer now, no chance to bounce back.  Sirois had some tough games this year but stayed in the 11 and worked through it.  If the plan was to give him a few V-cup and the rare MLS game, he would have been better off with a SIrois type loan to CPL.  Get 20+ starts.  The guy is still young in keeper years.  But VWC need to have someone around in case Takoka gets injured.  Still kudos to Van, 3 youngish CDN keepers in the mix.  

And Carducci and Irving (sort of) before that. Identifying good young Canadian keepers has never been a problem for the Whitecaps. Transitioning them to their starter has. Though they did help Crepeau establish himself. 

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

And Carducci and Irving (sort of) before that. Identifying good young Canadian keepers has never been a problem for the Whitecaps. Transitioning them to their starter has. Though they did help Crepeau establish himself. 

But the important distinction in my mind is that Crepeau was identified by Montreal, and VWFC acquired him. He wasn't actually that young when he arrived, and they had invested in him.

I think your statement about VWFC not having a problem identifying young Canadians, but having a big problem transitioning them to starters can be generalized across all positions.

The problem Hasal finds himself in is that he’s older than the developing guys below him. Any movement down to Next Pro or out on loan impedes the development of whoever is forced to come up and warm the bench. The Caps would probably need to sign a vet backup to a short term deal and then ship Hasal out, either permanently or on loan, to maintain their development structure.

——

Regarding his salary, I don’t think it necessarily reflects longterm organizational commitment to him. He re-signed at a time when he had unbelievable leverage. Crepeau had just left abruptly, and there was a giant gaping hole at the goalkeeping position. His option was picked up in 2023 when there was still uncertainty over who to bring in. The domestic keeper market was spendy last offseason (683K for Sean Johnson?), and the Caps were slow to sign players as is their unfortunate custom.

222K puts Hasal at 32nd among MLS keeper salaries. Certainly overpaid (see above), but well within backup range. Notorious skinflints Colorado are paying Yarborough and Ilic 475K and 380K respectively. SJ is shelling out 400K/350K to their tandem.

Edited by footballfreak

Everyone might just be stuck on this one.  Hasal-23 needs more mins, but VWC need a semi-reliable, semi-cheap backup.  If he puts in the work and gets his spot duty he can still grow closer to the finished product.  Boehmer-21, Anchor-18 sharing NextPro games fits more what you would want for player development.  End of the year it might be like Montreal last year (Pantemis, Breza, Sirois), time to cull the herd a bit when you know which guys are more likely to pan out.  

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

More genius player management from Whitecaps.

Bet they were wishing they took those offers, hard to understand what they intended to accomplish by not letting him go but also not using him.

Who was making offers for Hasal after the year he just had?

They intended to use him as a backup, which is charitably what he is right now. They hoped he would eventually recapture his 2020 form and maybe even challenge to start. Instead they got the return of one of the worst shot stoppers in the league in 2022.

There were a lot of holes to fill in the offseason. As it is, Takaoka was a last minute addition, so it is understandable why backup goalkeeper was pretty low on the list of priorities. Now that things have shaken out, and Hasal still can’t hang, he’s being shipped out. I’m not usually a fan of Caps management decisions, but that all seems pretty reasonable to me.

I just hope they bring in a solid veteran to back up Takaoka so Boehmer and Anchor continue to see time at NP.

Edited by footballfreak

10 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Who was making offers for Hasal after the year he just had?

They intended to use him as a backup, which is charitably what he is right now. They hoped he would eventually recapture his 2020 form and maybe even challenge to start. Instead they got the return of one of the worst shot stoppers in the league in 2022.

There were a lot of holes to fill in the offseason. As it is, Takaoka was a last minute addition, so it is understandable why backup goalkeeper was pretty low on the list of priorities. Now that things have shaken out, and Hasal still can’t hang, he’s being shipped out. I’m not usually a fan of Caps management decisions, but that all seems pretty reasonable to me.

I just hope they bring in a solid veteran to back up Takaoka so Boehmer and Anchor continue to see time at NP.

There were offers, Axel Schuster even put it out there publicly two weeks ago in an interview.  It's not the first time either, numerous reporters have said this over the last years.  What kind of player management is it to put a GK in 14 games into the season without even having given him a run in the 2nd team to keep him active?  He's not a veteran back up, he's young.  No issue with him being replaced by Takoka, he's simply better and the team was crying out for experience all over the field.  But to me, if teams are making offers for a player, does that not say they see something there that can maybe be developed?  Just let him go, you're robbing a kid a chance to play regularly whereas there's no plan for him in Vancouver.  They said no to letting him leave but then also go and completely kill the market for him.  They could have at least made some money, now what will they get?

I agree, he has to go away now and find his form somewhere else because he won't get another chance in Vancouver.  Perhaps he even needs to go to a low level to find his form.  Not all of them will be good enough or make it, but I really feel the club needs to evaluate their strategy with Homegrown's because players are catching on.

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

I agree, he has to go away now and find his form somewhere else because he won't get another chance in Vancouver.  Perhaps he even needs to go to a low level to find his form.  Not all of them will be good enough or make it, but I really feel the club needs to evaluate their strategy with Homegrown's because players are catching on.

I'm not saying they don't need to review their homegrown strategy, but I also remember hearing about the "flood of kids" who were going to leave the academy and have massive success elsewhere, and it really hasn't happened. Vancouver FC talked about how they were going to build a roster around local kids and that didn't happen.  BC Soccer is just in a bad state, and not all of it is attributable to the Whitecaps.