Thomas Hasal

nolando

8 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Tough year to be a fan of Canadian MLS teams. Sheeeeesh!

Last time I checked Quebec hadn't separated yet!  4th in the east brother!

TFC players seemed eager to deliver a message now that Armas is gone too, they seem like they're ready to get to work!

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Is Newton the only back up??  A 30+ year old career USL guy??   YEEKS!!

You shouldnt go from "he is competing for the #1 job", to "bench him" after one game.  

Hasal was never seriously competing for the #1 job. It was always Crepeau's. But I am suggesting that with a defense that bad, they might go with more of a veteran to try and steady it next game.

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I don’t think he was really at fault for any of the goals yesterday and made a few good saves and almost saved the penalty.  

This.

The bigger take from his performance yesterday is that despite not playing since September, he looks assured in net.  He's never looked out of place in any match he's played in, he's comfortable in his reactions and movements under pressure.  Good with his feet.  Doesn't shy from the aerial balls.  

Edited by Footyeh

• 6 months later...

A big vote of confidence for Hasal if this ends up happening and he becomes the clear number one.  Getting the lion's share of starts with a veteran, journeyman caddy in Newton providing relief and rotation as needed will give him the opportunity to really establish himself.   

I really hope he steps up and grabs the role.  As he showed in 2020, he has some great potential, but frankly, last year was shaky on a number of fronts, and he is going to have to be more consistent all-around if he wants to be a bona fide starting keeper.  His shot-stopping is the one generally good thing he's got in his arsenal - but everything else - command in the box, distribution, positioning, hands - he has to be better.  Here's hoping!  🤞👍

6 hours ago, GasPed said:

I really hope he steps up and grabs the role.  As he showed in 2020, he has some great potential, but frankly, last year was shaky on a number of fronts, and he is going to have to be more consistent all-around if he wants to be a bona fide starting keeper.  His shot-stopping is the one generally good thing he's got in his arsenal - but everything else - command in the box, distribution, positioning, hands - he has to be better.  Here's hoping!  🤞👍

Someone crunched the numbers, and while it's true he had some shaky starts, they also coincide with a return after some lengthy time off.  Going in as the #1 keeper, we'll hopefully get some more consistency out of him. 

I'm interested to see him grow with the club, but as a Whitecaps fan it took them years to get back to a bit of respectability and some *great* goalkeeping to get there and we're now about to throw a less experienced keeper in.  So, here's hoping the backline is improved and helps him out while he grows.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...