Thomas Hasal

nolando

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Most 3rd choice goalkeepers are only there for training. A team could probably get by with a rotation of locally-based, top amateur 'keepers, and searching out an emergency signing in case of a long-term injury to one of the other two.

I guess. It certainly suits Whitecaps frugal cheap arse thinking lol most top league clubs have at least 3 keepers on their books. That said most clubs have a solid reserve and youth program unlike the Whitecaps.

Whitecaps have a first choice, young up and comer and a journeyman pro that is likely happy enough to sit and wait. Meredith is a good buffer for Hasal.

Right now is the perfect example of why you need 3. It only takes 1 freak injury and then your "amateur" is 1 injury or suspension away from being your first and only choice. Sure you can bring in emergency cover but then they have to acclimatize to a new squad, staff and philosophies. Seems a bit of a Mickey mouse approach to me for top tier clubs. Whitecaps though...

Regarding the GK pecking order, there's a few things to consider.

1. There's a very real possibility that Vancouver has played their final MLS match of 2020.

2. If there's a Canadian Championship this year, I'd expect them to give Hasal the minutes over Meredith anyway. Crepeau obviously won't be back by then.

3. 2021 is really when decisions about loans for playing time really need to be made. 

Obviously I liked his shot stopping though sometimes when observing goalkeepers in a shooting gallery situation it's easy to get carried away. He made plenty of saves, but did he make many that you wouldn't expect an average MLS keeper to make? Maybe one yesterday (the one tipped onto the post), maybe not. One big dive taking away a pass in the previous game. Distribution needs work but for all we know he might have 9 months to work on that.

I understand why they are hyping up Hasal here, but I don't like it. It is way too early to start calling him the Saskatoon Star, but Americans always do this kind of thing.

Maybe it is just me, but it comes off as a little condescending as well. "Sorry kid, you're a gif now"....

11 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

At this point, the question has to be, what's the point of this Meredith guy? Hasal is clearly ready for at least the backup role with the first team. Ditch the journeyman American and find a decent, local option for the 3rd spot. 

Meredith is about to turn 31 and has played 13 MLS games in his career. It's scary to think Hasal probably wouldn't have gotten a chance if he was available. See what happens when a young Canadian keeper actually gets a chance to play?

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Obviously I liked his shot stopping though sometimes when observing goalkeepers in a shooting gallery situation it's easy to get carried away. 

I think that's how Stefan Marinovic arrived in Vancouver, coming off the strength of his shot stopping at the Confederations Cup tourney.

That said, this will serve as a great step in Hasal's future pro development.

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

Obviously I liked his shot stopping though sometimes when observing goalkeepers in a shooting gallery situation it's easy to get carried away. He made plenty of saves, but did he make many that you wouldn't expect an average MLS keeper to make?

He definitely made some difficult saves that would often end up as goals. It's more important to be consistent than it is to make the occasional worldie imo. He's done that so far, and looks like he has the athleticism and anticipation to pull off the phenomenal. Time will tell.... I hope

It's also important to note that Thomas Hasal hasn't really come out of nowhere. He's been one of the most highly-touted goalkeepers in Canada at every age group coming up and the 'Caps have been high on him for a long time. He's probably the most anticipated 'keeper out of the Residency since Carducci. All that was missing was the opportunity at senior level. He's had the good fortune of the door opening a crack for him. It's up to him to kick it open the rest of the way by continuing to perform at a high level.

I think we are all just used to our CDN keepers getting buried behind older established guys.  And as someone else said, giving a midfielder a run out usually doesnt involve the game changing gaffs a keeper can make, so its doubly hard to give a young keeper a shot.  Too much risk.  But he's got time, look at Crepeau, he got games at 21 but didnt really take off until he was 24.  In keeper years thats still pretty good.  Carducci is making waves at 23.  If St Clair can get a game with Minnesota that would be 3 CDN keepers playing in one year.  When we went a long time without any MLS reps....I think we even had a thread about the drought between Sutton/Onstad and Crepeau.  

5 hours ago, nfitz said:

Hasal was named to the preliminary U-23 (now U-24) qualifying squad for 2020 Olympics. Will be interesting to see who is the number one keeper if that tournament ever gets played.

I pray to the good lord above that 2021 will be alright. We’ll probably have the most Canadian soccer games ever even with the added opportunity for Olympic Games. Which I think Hasal staked his claim on.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Hasal also beat out the highly touted Alessandro Busti for the #1 keeper at the last U20 WC qualifying.

He was also the starting U20 keeper in the previous WC cycle when he was several years underage. There were a few GK injuries in that pool but he beat out some older players.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

This game wasn't Hasal's fault, but I suspect he won't be starting the next game.  Do think we'll see him a few more times during the Canada phase.

Pretty tough to judge a goalie with a team this putrid and disinterested in front of him. While I'm not certain he could really be blamed for any of the goals, his distribution from the back is very poor and this is one area that needs immediate improvement.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Shway said:

Fairy dust seems to be wearing off. 
Can’t catch the ball, wayyyy to overzealous off his line, which caused a penalty. 

You what?

He's 20-years old, playing hard minutes at first-team level way ahead of expectation. After a half dozen games playing out of his skin, he was due a let-down. He'll probably make way for the journeyman American for the next game or two, which is the sensible move, but he's out-performing every goalkeeping prospect we've had at his age since Begovic. Anybody failing to acknowledge that plain fact is out to lunch.

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

You what?

He's 20-years old, playing hard minutes at first-team level way ahead of expectation. After a half dozen games playing out of his skin, he was due a let-down. He'll probably make way for the journeyman American for the next game or two, which is the sensible move, but he's out-performing every goalkeeping prospect we've had at his age since Begovic. Anybody failing to acknowledge that plain fact is out to lunch.

You're right. I gotta look at the positives, which is a he's a young kid putting in a performance here and there on a shïte team. 
I hope he personally has a better game on Sunday.