Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

5 hours ago, jordan said:

Out today, was listed 50/50 due to a hip issue

Thanks for the update 👍

https://www.lest-eclair.fr/id483775/article/2023-05-12/florian-tardieu-de-retour-lentrainement-lestac

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Troyes officially relegated today

Hopefully he gets plenty of playing time given that nothing is really at stake.

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

Lower end of the Championship would make sense and should provide him with much needed playing time. Could also make the argument it could put him back in his comfort zone playing in his home country.

I don’t think it needs to be that low. He had 5 goals in 14 games for Troyes last year. 16 in Belgium two years ago. I think he could give any team in championship some good contributions. I could see Watford taking a shot on him as a reclamation project. 

51 minutes ago, jordan said:

This says linked to Burnley and Rangers. It’s the Sun and I haven’t seen people I’d expect talk about mention it so I have doubts on this

Burnley is a hard no, Rangers would be a good move.

Re: Rangers 

Beale said in the interview today he’s looking for key players.

Beale does like picking players he’s worked with before, so he would likely fit into the way the club play. 

3.5 mil for this years output makes it hard for me to believe he would be a key player. 

19 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Sticking around a top 5 league?  AGR has serious blinders on when it comes to Ugbo.  

He scored at a great rate in belguim. His minutes to goals were good when he first went to troyes. Is it all that much different to Larin? If he finds a team that will give him service and minutes in ligue 1 , he could very well net 10 goals a year. It's a tall order but not that outlandish. 

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

Sticking around a top 5 league?  AGR has serious blinders on when it comes to Ugbo.  

I mean, look at Larin, he went from not scoring in Belgium to scoring a lot in Spain. Ugbo was an England youth player and Chelsea academy player. I think those things are going to put him on the radar of more clubs than our players typically might be on. 

I’d be shocked if he actually went to Burnley, but he’s a cheap high potential player who if he plays well and they stay up, he’s a steal, which they need to identify to stay good, if he plays well and they get relegated, they can sell for a profit. And if they stay up and he sucks, well, €3.5M is pocket change in the premier league 

Rangers seems like a good fit. Surprised people would turn their noses up at Burnley though. Playing in the premiership in a progressive style team managed by a highly rated and respected Vincent Kompany would be huge imo. I simply don't believe they would be interested in him though. Certainly as nothing more than a squad backup player.

27 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Surprised people would turn their noses up at Burnley though. Playing in the premiership in a progressive style team managed by a highly rated and respected Vincent Kompany would be huge imo. I simply don't believe they would be interested in him though. Certainly as nothing more than a squad backup player.

Agreed.  Wondering if some people are overlooking that they got promoted and will be in the Prem next year. 

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Rangers seems like a good fit. Surprised people would turn their noses up at Burnley though. Playing in the premiership in a progressive style team managed by a highly rated and respected Vincent Kompany would be huge imo. I simply don't believe they would be interested in him though. Certainly as nothing more than a squad backup player.

My main concern with him going to Burnley is whether he’d get playing time. If he could consistently start for a Premier League team, I can’t see how anyone would be upset about that.

It’s easy to forget we’re talking about a 24 year old English domestic player here who has already scored a bunch of goals in Belgium and France. There aren’t many English players like that available.  30 goals in 97 games over the past 3 years (many as a sub) isn’t a bad strike rate. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

Ugbo is like any other striker: give him the right system and regular minutes, he'll provide a solid output of goals. He proved it at Troyes last year and in his first year in Belgium. He even did decently well in his sparse time on the pitch with Genk. Not out of the realm of possibility that he stays in a top five league, or ends up at a big club again in a Belgium or Portugal.

I'm with you guys on Burnley, though. The only conflict is how often he'd play.

Rangers would seem the opportunity, be a part of the rebuild there. 

Burnley seems a strange one.  They did have a lot of strikers but their top goal-scorers are on the wings (Tella, who might want to stick around,  Benson Manuel who they bought last year ).  Ashley Barnes (7 goals) has left but Jay Rodriguez (10) has at least another year it looks like.  They bought a younger South African Lyle Foster and I think they have to buy Michael Obafemi though I he didn't play much in the last half of his loan. And technically Weghorst is coming back from Manchester United.

The talk of Ugbo going there probably goes back a year when Kompany was linked after seeing him at his best in the Belgian league.