Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

Cardiff eh? Survived relegation from the Championship, but new season new results, perhaps. Wouldn't mind seeing it. Would still favour the Rangers move, but if he lands in the Championship on loan, then returns when Troyes gets back into Ligue 1 (assuming they do), it's not a bad scenario. Either way, new environment for Ugbo would be good. We need him. 

1 minute ago, Stryker911 said:

Arguably one of the biggest misses at this Gold Cup. Is a legit forward which this team desperately needs. Also worth noting that he is actually younger than Brym.

Ha.  Easy to forget that.  Brym can seem like a prospect while Ugbo can give you the vibe that he has already stumbled.   

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Arguably one of the biggest misses at this Gold Cup. Is a legit forward which this team desperately needs. Also worth noting that he is actually younger than Brym.

Yup unless they didn’t call him up because of his uncertainty at the time of his club situation, if that wasn’t the reason  then he should have been called  up .

This is a good piece of news amongst a sea of discontent. 

I know we are going through a difficult group stage with questions being asked about our depth, but Ugbo can and probably should be a double digit scorer in the Championship, Corbeanu sealed a solid move, one that based on club level puts him on Canadian GC b-side. Then, we have an All-star in Choniere that was overlooked, an injured Piette returning soon, and a MAK who is off the pace but could rediscover his form. There is also a smattering of players like Rutty, Saliba, and Priso who are promising, but were overlooked for this squad, not to mention an impressive Sirois. 

Maybe the sky isn't falling and we have more depth than we are showing in this tournament?

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is a good piece of news amongst a sea of discontent. 

I know we are going through a difficult group stage with questions being asked about our depth, but Ugbo can and probably should be a double digit scorer in the Championship, Corbeanu sealed a solid move, one that based on club level puts him on Canadian GC b-side. Then, we have an All-star in Choniere that was overlooked, an injured Piette returning soon, and a MAK who is off the pace but could rediscover his form. There is also a smattering of players like Rutty, Saliba, and Priso who are promising, but were overlooked for this squad, not to mention an impressive Sirois. 

Maybe the sky isn't falling and we have more depth than we are showing in this tournament?

I don't think depth is our biggest issue, it's getting any of our guys to pan out as "tier one" players. I'll be happy if any one player you list pans out that way, and you can also add guys like Dieu-Merci Michel and a few young european players we have that *should* play for us, but no one that looks like they're going to pop out in the next year. I look at the USMNT and it's like "damn, your version of  Theo Corbeanu plays in the Bundesliga? Your version of Marshall-Rutty is being scouted by Real Madrid?".

All good players though. Really hope we play those September friendlies and bring Ugbo back into the fold.

44 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't think depth is our biggest issue, it's getting any of our guys to pan out as "tier one" players. I'll be happy if any one player you list pans out that way, and you can also add guys like Dieu-Merci Michel and a few young european players we have that *should* play for us, but no one that looks like they're going to pop out in the next year. I look at the USMNT and it's like "damn, your version of  Theo Corbeanu plays in the Bundesliga? Your version of Marshall-Rutty is being scouted by Real Madrid?".

All good players though. Really hope we play those September friendlies and bring Ugbo back into the fold.

Agreed. 

I'd like to think however their version of Ugbo is Josh Sargent, which is basically their 3rd or 4th option on the striker depth chart. If Ugbo can match Sargent in the Championship we could make the case. 

Overall though it's futile to compare their depth with ours. It's night and day. It's about Tier 1 players and how many we can develop. If we can go 11-14 deep we can be competitive, though by that time the USA will have probably be 30 deep or more with tier 1 players.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:48 PM, InglewoodJack said:

I agree 100% on this point - I was also shocked by the USMNT's A-team club levels. However, I think this has more to do with European teams seeing American players as marketing investments than it does with American prospects being somehow inherently better than Canadian prospects. We're not that far removed from Barcelona turning down Alphonso Davies simply because he was Canadian. It's MUCH harder for our players to get opportunities in Top-5 leagues than it is for American players. If Jayden Nelson was American, do you think he'd have had to settle for Norway as his entry to Europe? Or would he have gone straight to a Bundesliga or Eredivisie side?

The perception around Canadian players is definitely changing, and if we can get one or two of those former CPL players like Loturi, Pepple, or Kratt to pop in Europe, perhaps that league can gain a reputation as a place to find promising youngsters on the cheap among European clubs. Until then, however, we're going to have to live with the fact that American youngsters who came up through similar MLS academies and local youth soccer leagues south of the border will be given opportunities that our guys will not, and because of that, will have higher odds of developing into Tier-1 players.