Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Rangers would seem the opportunity, be a part of the rebuild there. 

Burnley seems a strange one.  They did have a lot of strikers but their top goal-scorers are on the wings (Tella, who might want to stick around,  Benson Manuel who they bought last year ).  Ashley Barnes (7 goals) has left but Jay Rodriguez (10) has at least another year it looks like.  They bought a younger South African Lyle Foster and I think they have to buy Michael Obafemi though I he didn't play much in the last half of his loan. And technically Weghorst is coming back from Manchester United.

The talk of Ugbo going there probably goes back a year when Kompany was linked after seeing him at his best in the Belgian league.  

I seem to recall that Burnley was linked to him last year, though I cannot remember if it was a genuine link or one of our NFP or OS guys just speculating that Burnley could be a good fit. Regardless I would rather see him go to Rangers, I think. His productive loan was sandwiched between struggles and he needs to get back amongst the goals. What better way to do that than going to Rangers? Like Larin, I suspect that if he plays regularly, he'll score. Even if he's the back up he could probably play significant minutes and get double-digit goals. He's still 24 going on 25, so there's lots of time to get back to a top 5 league. In the meantime, he could get some good European action for Rangers. Wasn't long ago they made the Europa league finals. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Man I really want Ugbo to make that Rangers move. Exactly what he needs, lower level to bang in goals, but higher club to show himself off in Europe. And it's a return to the United Kingdom for him. Perfect, really. 

I know there was the NYCFC possibility, which would be okay, but Rangers is what I want to see for him.

This move is risky. It could be a boost move, or it could be a "death" one. 
Not performing in the SPFL is dangerous waters, but would be better than going to NYCFC.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Not performing in the SPFL is dangerous waters, but would be better than going to NYCFC.

Good point, especially if it's a permanent transfer. If it's a loan, if he fails perhaps City group just cycle him into another team like NYCFC or Melbourne.

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

With the City group connection, I’m hoping for a very surprising move to girona.

Guess we can't rule it out?

I’d also look at where some of Chelsea’s other academy flame outs ended. Ugbo is always posting pictures with his old Chelsea teammates- currently in LA with Tomori as we speak- and I think that experience still has enough cachet where someone he came up with can tell their team to give him a shot because he’s so talented. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I guess my thinking is that if he can’t score in the SPFL, then there may not be much there to resuscitate.  For me that would be an indication that he really is at his ceiling and won’t hit the heights we all hoped for.  If he drops down much lower than that, he isn’t really proving much anyway.  Setting aside the exposure factor, is he really going to be honing his skills more against mid and bottom table teams in Scotland versus MLS?   

47 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guess my thinking is that if he can’t score in the SPFL, then there may not be much there to resuscitate.  For me that would be an indication that he really is at his ceiling and won’t hit the heights we all hoped for.  If he drops down much lower than that, he isn’t really proving much anyway.  Setting aside the exposure factor, is he really going to be honing his skills more against mid and bottom table teams in Scotland versus MLS?   

The draw in Scotland is the fact that he’d play two games against Celtic. Is that better for him than the two games he’ll play against Messi in MLS? The rest of his games here would be against more competitive opponents, plus, I’m not sure Europa league does more for him than MLS/MX League Cup. 

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For me Rangers would set him up for that next move. If the goal is to play in a top 4 league, going to MLS inferior to going to Rangers in that regard. If his ceiling is a useful player for Rangers, that's still pretty good for us. If he goes to MLS and doesn't kill it, which is likely, I think it gets harder for him. I think he is probably an 8-10 goal guy in both situations (MLS vs Rangers) so if I had my choice I would choose Rangers for him.