Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

No one's actually been contacted yet about season tickets, hey? I know it says to expect that in mid-March . . . but I don't want to wait. 

What do former Fury fans think about the prices? To me they looked about right. 

I sort of wish they'd put a stand behind a goal, like the one at Pacific, just to get that atmosphere there and not hanging off the end of one corner flag.

Truth be told, I'm actually really happy they did away with the stand behind the goal and moved the supporters section back to the south side. I always found that having the supporters right there with the rest of the fans really boosted the atmosphere and made everyone feel more involved. Instead of just watching the match, it was like you were that little bit more a part of it. 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:55 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

What do former Fury fans think about the prices? To me they looked about right. 

I sort of wish they'd put a stand behind a goal, like the one at Pacific, just to get that atmosphere there and not hanging off the end of one corner flag.

The Fury tried to put a temporary stand behind one of the goals.  It didn't work at all because the stand was of a horrible construction and a lawsuit waiting to happen and on hot sunny days, it was brutal without shade and with the field turf absorbing the heat (one time it was over 45 C on the field).

The temporary stand behind the net at Fury games had the major merit of putting the supporters behind a goal, which I think we were routinely asking the club to somehow do.

Its construction indeed wasn't very good, to the point where they were asking people to not stomp the bleachers - I suspect out of fear of a lawsuit because it was genuinely shaking and unstable to stand on.

I also suspect OSEG put us behind a goal to get us away from the general crowd. They were getting complaints about standing and supporters section language in Section W. They also sold seats in section W at a much higher price after moving us out.

I personally enjoyed being behind the goal, but separating the supporters section from the general crowd lead to one huge problem: it created a 'special access' feel to the section which was a barrier for new people interested in trying it out. The groups never grew on match days because of this - there was almost an illusion the supporters were club employees and distant from everyone else. For many people at games, seeing supporters is genuinely a new experience.

Any word on when the kit will be revealed? I’m curious as to whether it’ll be something very similar to Atleti’s kit. It might be kind of cool if they kept the colour scheme but added something Canadian to the design... just thinking out loud here, but how about the red stripes being made up of hundreds of tiny maple leafs? 

I can understand why they rushed into taking the field this year now that RFL Ottawa Aces were formally announced today. Having that one year jump on them will be key for targeting the casual entertainment seeker who looking to go out, having a fun time with family and friends. Here in Toronto, the Toronto Wolfpack have seen their attendance rise since there first season when they averaged 6,992 a game. For a sport that little knew about prior to its arrival, the Wolfpack have seen it rise to 7,882 in 2019 with some even bigger crowds. I am expecting the same in Ottawa, so will really be interest to see how the two teams attendance compares. 

Edited by Cblake

2 more signings to be announced today and each of the next days this week.

Brandon John seems a lock, but who else is suspiciously free?  Curiously, Max Tissot doesn't seem like a target.

Masta Kacher?  Keven Aleman?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_John ... this guy hasn't played in years but would have been perfect.  From Ottawa and played in Spain.

20 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Any insights into Djaozandry?  Always surprising to see a name sign that you've never heard of.

Shows up as a starter with St. Hubert in the PLSQ in my records. PLSQ very much still feels like an unmined league, and the ones that have come through (Abzi and Bona come to mind) have all done well.

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

On 3/6/2020 at 11:14 PM, m-g-williams said:

Truth be told, I'm actually really happy they did away with the stand behind the goal and moved the supporters section back to the south side. I always found that having the supporters right there with the rest of the fans really boosted the atmosphere and made everyone feel more involved. Instead of just watching the match, it was like you were that little bit more a part of it. 

I hear that, but I also enjoy seeing other souls at a soccer game aside from a massive wall of empty seats. If those temp bleachers weren't so stranded and were wider, actually linking up with the other permanent seats maybe it would work. Also if the nearest section of seats wasn't all tarped off maybe you could have made it a lot more cohesive, visually appealing, and less isolated. It would also serve to make it look much more intimate. As it stands now, if attendance is good, it's hard to get more supporters than what's in section W. If you had a big area behind the net that was GA people could more easily move into that area and it could organically grow over time. 

On 3/9/2020 at 6:02 PM, Cblake said:

I can understand why they rushed into taking the field this year now that RFL Ottawa Aces were formally announced today. Having that one year jump on them will be key for targeting the casual entertainment seeker who looking to go out, having a fun time with family and friends. Here in Toronto, the Toronto Wolfpack have seen their attendance rise since there first season when they averaged 6,992 a game. For a sport that little knew about prior to its arrival, the Wolfpack have seen it rise to 7,882 in 2019 with some even bigger crowds. I am expecting the same in Ottawa, so will really be interest to see how the two teams attendance compares. 

Wolfpack pad there numbers with comps. I got four tickets for free and literally could have gone to every game for free. 

7 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Wolfpack pad there numbers with comps. I got four tickets for free and literally could have gone to every game for free. 

WOLFPACK being in top flight should mean an attendance increase so this year you can't even compare with previous. 

I've only watched Fury on tv and found the supporters hanging off the end at that angle to not be the best image. Then there are more isolated stands behind goals like at York9 but truth is those banners and that noise, even with a small contingent, looks preferable. 

The average Canadian sports fan is an expert in footy compared to rugby.  I’d imagine that 99% of Canadians couldn’t name a single rugby player or tell you the rules. 

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

I’m skeptics that the leagues make a big difference in attendance in the Ottawa to CanPL or Wolfpack context.  How much does a fan here care if it’s d2 rugby vs d1 rugby when it’s the only rugby here?

That’s the major difference imo.  A rugby team is attracting people for an experience, whereas with a footy team you’re offering an experience and a product.  The fact that the Wolfpack attendance has only risen slightly after promotion shows that. 

11 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Could be Farsi to Cavalry. 

I don't believe Farsi (or Hocine at Valour) are represented by Obelisq... but this is just based off Twitter.

Edit: you're right Farsi is with them.

https://obelisq.ca/clients

The one hint that it may not be them is that Cavalry has announced a signing for today but it seems to have been leaked as Boskovic already.

Edited by CanadaFan123

This is all speculation, but there's good reason to believe that the club has signed Francisco Acuna, a 32 year old Mexican midfielder playing for Puebla in Liga MX. 

He has most recently followed both Atletico Ottawa and Ben Fisk on Instagram, he made a story yesterday that he was heading to Spain, and today it was made official that he was departing Puebla.