Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

career backup doesnt necessarily mean being a backup every season of your career..could have a couple seasons as a starter like he did for different reasons such as getting to your peak or others in the same position being injured..but even in his time in the second tier he was mostly a backup

50 minutes ago, Big_M said:

career backup doesnt necessarily mean being a backup every season of your career..could have a couple seasons as a starter like he did for different reasons such as getting to your peak or others in the same position being injured..but even in his time in the second tier he was mostly a backup

Ya, I get that, I'm not fully disagreeing with you, I just find it interesting. If someone only looked at his 17-18 season, when he was 30 years old, they would assume that he played fairly regularly during the ~10 years leading up to that point - I mean, it's pretty rare for soccer players to peak at 30 after all. But obviously his games played from most of those 10 years is rather low, justifying your calling him a career backup. So I dunno, I just find it interesting.

5 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Man, the balls on this team! The keep signing players even though there is a good chance there won't be a season. I wonder if these deals have a Corona Clause!

If any team can survive the economic downfall brought on by coronavirus, it's one owned Atletico Madrid

^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Plus its not like they are going to move anywhere else and get minutes. Free agents and players will be happy to get any salary. 

Really liking how the Ottawa squad is shaping up and interested to see how Atletico matches up to the Fury squad last year. Already looks like there is a little more class in this new squad.

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

Man, the balls on this team! The keep signing players even though there is a good chance there won't be a season. I wonder if these deals have a Corona Clause!

They said a month ago that over half of the roster was already signed, this is only the 12th announcement. They probably had around 20 players signed before the season was postponed two weeks ago, given that they were about to start training camp in Madrid.

2 hours ago, Zem said:

They said a month ago that over half of the roster was already signed, this is only the 12th announcement. They probably had around 20 players signed before the season was postponed two weeks ago, given that they were about to start training camp in Madrid.

The number floated in the media was that they had 14 signed, and I gather they only managed 2 or 3 days of training camp in Madrid, so any players there on trial probably have not been signed yet. I'd expect the next name to either be Victor "Viti" Martinez or Ignacio/Nacho Zabal, to round out the 14, though I very easily could be wrong. I'm far more confident about Viti than Zabal, if nothing else.

Worth noting that those are the only real strong rumours left. There's a couple other names floated previously but all they seem very unlikely at this point (for instance, Langwa and Tissot), so it wouldn't surprise me if they get to 14 and don't announce any more for quite a while after.

1 hour ago, yothat2 said:

anymore ex fury expected to be signed

Right now the only expected signing is Viti (Victor Martinez, from Gimnastic).

That doesn't mean ex-Fury won't be signed, but there also aren't many of them left available. By my count, only 5 (Oliveira, Obasi, De Freitas, Tissot, and Mutambala) played 2+ games last season and are currently available. Tissot's been discussed and it seems rather unlikely he'll be back in Ottawa at this point, I haven't seen Mutambala's name mentioned. Maybe he would, since he's young? No idea.

3 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

Wrong about the day, but right about the latest name.

My source in Spain, the guy who writes about Spanish players abroad, says that Viti had a poor relationship with his former club. He was not training well nor showing a proper attitude with discipline. The club president had actually requested he not play back in January, I do not think he had minutes from that point on, so At Madrid were clearly on top of this, or his agent was. 

He's a young prospect, I think he felt he could have had better chances, since he played for the Tarragona  2nd team, the first team relegated from 2nd division last year, so for him to be in 3rd tier was a let down. 

But to be honest, CPL is not better than Spanish 3rd tier, he may just be thinking about getting his foot in the door at Atlético.

On 4/8/2020 at 3:10 AM, youllneverwalkalone said:

Seems like a player with a fair bit of potential. I like the AO moves thus far. 

Their group of signings is rather creative. I think we missed on them picking up a few B team or u-19s with them not being able to do a proper camp in Madrid. That would likely have given them a different roster than the current, which is very diverse and fairly well chosen.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Their group of signings is rather creative. I think we missed on them picking up a few B team or u-19s with them not being able to do a proper camp in Madrid. That would likely have given them a different roster than the current, which is very diverse and fairly well chosen.

It was reported that 14 players were signed even before they came back from Spain and all of the players signed were identified as likely signings before then as well (I had named them all by March 14th, though not all of the investigative work was my own), so I don't think the camp would have made much, if any, difference on the current signings.

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Why doesn't Ottawa release its jersey? Just asking.

Likely because the factory that would make them and send them to people wanting to buy them is shut down at the moment. I'm hoping that factory is in Italy. I'm going to buy some jerseys if they come from Italy to support the CPL and to support our friends in Italy. Probably Pacific and HFX

Information about Macron. CPL kit supplier

https://uk.fashionnetwork.com/news/Italian-sport-brand-macron-growing-strong-in-france,824790.html

Edited by SpursFlu

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Likely because the factory that would make them and send them to people wanting to buy them is shut down at the moment. I'm hoping that factory is in Italy. I'm going to buy some jerseys if they come from Italy to support the CPL and to support our friends in Italy. Probably Pacific and HFX

Information about Macron. CPL kit supplier

https://uk.fashionnetwork.com/news/Italian-sport-brand-macron-growing-strong-in-france,824790.html

If the factory is in China, you don’t care to support your friends there.