Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

54 minutes ago, Shway said:

Why constitutes that? 
Wouldn’t an 18yo who’s playing pro ball be considered a “special player”.

You won’t have answer for that, but like I’ve always said - there’s no barometer to gauge how to make it into the Canadian setup.

It’s all noise related.

He's playing on a top team, but you're right. We shouldn't seriously think a u-23 team should have 18 year olds without 1st team experience. 

For me our Olympic team is too young. I understand this is because the seniors are playing. 

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's playing on a top team, but you're right. We shouldn't seriously think a u-23 team should have 18 year olds without 1st team experience. 

For me our Olympic team is too young. I understand this is because the seniors are playing. 

But this is not our Olympic team though, do you really think they’re going to keep the same group when they go to the Olympics? Hell no. This team is just there to qualify. 

16 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I would hope the people choosing the team actually watch the players instead of arbitrarily ranking the leagues they play in

Herdman has noted they measure players on:

1. Playing regularly

2. Tier of league played

3. Age of opposition players played against versus player's age (for younger players)

I feel we sometimes over-rate young players who shine against they own age group but under appreciate young players that are already proving they can "hold their own" against ages our CANMNT and U23s will play against. 

Edited by saintjoes

Just my two cents but I don't think it's unreasonable Mitrovic was cut. However, I also don't think his selection would have been undeserved. 

What is unreasonable is that nobody from the coaching reached out to him. That seems a little negligent in my opinion. Very hard to imagine a kid who has played with Serbia's youth team, who also is playing in the top flight of Serbia, is so far away from selection that making contact was unnecessary. That may be what happened, but that's very surprising to me and frankly a little disappointing to hear.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Who do you think was more worth of getting a Camp Poutine call up? Belal Halbouni (Werder Bremen 2) who got one or Stefan Mitrovic who didn't?

Personally it would be Halbouni, but mostly that is because he plays a position of need.

For comparison's sake, Zanatta was playing Scottish Premiership ball with Hearts at the age of 18.  His early career trajectory is similar to Mitrovic's but no one seems heartbroken that he wasn't called.

13 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Personally it would be Halbouni, but mostly that is because he plays a position of need.

For comparison's sake, Zanatta was playing Scottish Premiership ball with Hearts at the age of 18.  His early career trajectory is similar to Mitrovic's but no one seems heartbroken that he wasn't called.

Well that may be because Zanatta right now is hardly playing at 23 in the Scottish Championship, with no goals this season. Zanatta at a much younger age was playing at a higher level that he is now and starting a lot and scoring. The Zanatta that was playing with Hearts and scoring would have deserved a call up to this team, just like Mitrovic might have deserved it now, but the Zanatta at 23 and hardly playing at that level I don’t think deserved a call up.

28 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

It doesn't exactly help your argument because Zanatta WAS on the 50 man provisional list last year, when things were going better for him.

22 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Well that may be because Zanatta right now is hardly playing at 23 in the Scottish Championship, with no goals this season. Zanatta at a much younger age was playing at a higher level that he is now and starting a lot and scoring. The Zanatta that was playing with Hearts and scoring would have deserved a call up to this team, just like Mitrovic might have deserved it now, but the Zanatta at 23 and hardly playing at that level I don’t think deserved a call up.

Ah, so you are saying that you have the advantage of hindsight and history in assessing Zanatta's skill?  The point is that playing professionally at a certain age doesn't necessarily indicate skill level.  Maybe the kid will turn out great, maybe he'll have a bump in the road like Zanatta (or Di Chiara or Alderson or Boakai who were all playing professionally in their teens). 

Should he have been contacted by Biello?  Maybe.  In hindsight, with all the issues the team has run in to with TFC players he might've been good cover.  But all things being equal he would've been a long shot for this team.  And, FWIW and if Wikipedia is to be believed, Olivieri has reached out to him for the U20 team, so its not like the CSA has no idea he exists.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Ah, so you are saying that you have the advantage of hindsight and history in assessing Zanatta's skill?  The point is that playing professionally at a certain age doesn't necessarily indicate skill level.  Maybe the kid will turn out great, maybe he'll have a bump in the road like Zanatta (or Di Chiara or Alderson or Boakai who were all playing professionally in their teens). 

Should he have been contacted by Biello?  Maybe.  In hindsight, with all the issues the team has run in to with TFC players he might've been good cover.  But all things being equal he would've been a long shot for this team.  And, FWIW and if Wikipedia is to be believed, Olivieri has reached out to him for the U20 team, so its not like the CSA has no idea he exists.

Well then same can be said of the Dias kid then no. He is playing at an Academy that has produced some pretty good players over the years , so playing there is impressive to me , just like playing in a league that many good players have played in like the Serbian league. Of course players like Mitrovic and Dias who knows might be playing in the Swedish 3rd division in four or five years nothing is a certainty in sport as we all know, but based on now and how both are performing it would also have made sense if a Mitrovic was called up just based on where he is playing and how he is doing just like Dias .  Mitrovic playing in an open league with much older players he might have been more adapt at facing players that are already 24 years of age . I have no problem with Dias being selected looks like a great prospect just based on where he is playing for such an Academy with such a rich history . But I also think Mitrovic deserved to be there that’s all .

Edited by SoccMan

• 2 months later...

Finished the season as he started with a goal in Radnicki Nis final game of the season. 

Interested to see if we call him into the Gold Cup. Probably still on the periphery. A real shame we have had no youth games to involve him (U24 aside).

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.26.41 AM.png

https://www.transfermarkt.us/stefan-mitrovic/leistungsdaten/spieler/726526

Edited by toontownman

31 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Finished the season as he started with a goal in Radnicki Nis final game of the season. 

Interested to see if we call him into the Gold Cup. Probably still on the periphery. A real shame we have had no youth games to involve him (U24 aside).

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.26.41 AM.png

https://www.transfermarkt.us/stefan-mitrovic/leistungsdaten/spieler/726526

We should. This year's Gold Cup should be utilized exactly for guys like him. 

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

We should. This year's Gold Cup should be utilized exactly for guys like him. 

It’s tough, I have this same sentiment. However I feel we could put a strong enough team (while balancing WCQ) that could contend.

Does it really matter if we win the Gold Cup this year?  We think that many countries will  be sending weaker teams and we are also focused 100% on qualifying for the World Cup now and prepping for 2026. So use this tournament to get young dual nationals in the mix and giving some of our tier 2 guys some exposure.  We believe that most players will not be released for both so this is how I think we should set up the teams for the summer.

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Does it really matter if we win the Gold Cup this year?  We think that many countries will  be sending weaker teams and we are also focused 100% on qualifying for the World Cup now and prepping for 2026. So use this tournament to get young dual nationals in the mix and giving some of our tier 2 guys some exposure.  We believe that most players will not be released for both so this is how I think we should set up the teams for the summer.

These are both official competitions for which clubs are required to release players, should they be called. No club can simply refuse to release a player, even if JH decides to call them for both WCQ in June and the Gold Cup in July. Sure, they can apply other forms of pressure directly on the players to turn down the call-ups, but they'd be in a world of trouble if they simply said no to a player travelling for internationals. This does not discount the fact that there are reasons why Canada won't want to over-burden our players by involving them in both competitions, though.

It's breeding and feeding the winning mentality. 
It's about preparing the depth plays from 18-30 for 3 match day windows. 

I'm all for some of the duals, (especially if it means cap-tieing) but I rather this team not look like the Olympic team....where a lot of guys were missing. Yes tier 2 guys, but most  will most likely be called up to the WCQ or will be jeoparadizing their spots at their MLS clubs.

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I would bring it up here rather than continue to talk about it on the Gold Cup thread. I went through the thread and noticed that there was alot of posts from his dad on Twitter of his highlights. He regularly tags Canucks abroad in all of them and then later also tags Canadasoccer, among others. I don't know if it is to try to get them to notice his son because he really wants him to rep Canada or to prove a point that they missed out on him. 

I think if he was a starter or even a regular sub last season he is probably on this roster. But he hardly played last season. Too bad the u20s that he got invited to were cancelled.

With that being said there is very clear clash between Mitrovic and someone. Some pretty harsh words were said. I wouldn't even necessarily say it is with Canada Soccer. Likely a personal issue with Bontis. Bontis' son is a 03 and plays for TFC academy. While Mitrovic is an 02. They are both from Hamilton, so no doubt they crossed paths over the years, possibly even playing together. Looking at Charlie Bontis (the son) profile he has had alot of opportunities to succeed. It's not hard to imagine Mitrovic was not given those same opportunities. Also keep in mind Bobtis has been with Soccer Canada soccer 2002.https://www.ftfcanada.ca/players/charlie-bontis/

Also I have no idea how wealthy Mitrovics family is, but they are first generation immigrants, so maybe not as well off. While Bontis' kid went to a private school where the annual tuition is $50,000 a year.