Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

25 minutes ago, shamrock said:

My two cents on this game:

If we want to have any chance of qualifying for the Hex, we need a win at home. A draw would be a good result but we need a win. 

We need a good block in front our D, 'cause really our pairing is not up to standards. It barely is with Henry in the line-up. Piette and Eustaquio in front of D and let the rest of 'm sort it out op front. We have enough players that can score without having to play well as a team. 

With regards to Eustaquio, the skys the limit for him, but he hasn't even played a first team match since his 9 month layoff. I don't think this is the game to throw him. 

Edited by king1010

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

With regards to Eustaquio, the skys the limit for him, but he hasn't even played a first team match since his 9 month layoff. I don't think this is the game to throw him. 

I haven't even seen him on the Cruz Azul bench. 

Even before his injury he wasn't guaranteed anything, coming from a low-table Portugese side. Furthermore, the Portugese manager who brought him in is now gone.

I too am guilty of pegging him as a proper Liga MX player, but it remains to be seen just how good he is.

Yotun, formerly of malmo and Orlando City, is a starting centre midfielder for Cruz Azul right now. He is a good player, underrated even, but Eustaquio is going to have a real fight to win a spot from him. If he does, we know we have added a real quality midfielder to our pool.

37 minutes ago, king1010 said:

CSA twitter just posted a video of Cavallini arriving at Pearson with his wife and kids and his own parents greeting them. Tons of excitement and happy to see each other. 

This has got to play a huge reason the games are played in Toronto (player preference). 

Just watched this as well and was thinking that this is absolutely a large reason why.  Along with the fact that Toronto's hybrid grass is also much preferred to Vancouver's turf.

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I haven't even seen him on the Cruz Azul bench. 

Even before his injury he wasn't guaranteed anything, coming from a low-table Portugese side. Furthermore, the Portugese manager who brought him in is now gone.

I too am guilty of pegging him as a proper Liga MX player, but it remains to be seen just how good he is.

Yotun, formerly of malmo and Orlando City, is a starting centre midfielder for Cruz Azul right now. He is a good player, underrated even, but Eustaquio is going to have a real fight to win a spot from him. If he does, we know we have added a real quality midfielder to our pool.

I agree that he has it is tough with Cruz Azul's midfield and agree that this might not be the game to throw him in.  But Cruz Azul's midfield isn't performing up to Cruz Azul standards over the past season. Along with Yotun, Pineda is fantastic.  Elias, Baca & Rodriguez are all strong as well. Did you ever watch him play for Chaves or Portugal U21?  He was regularly Chaves best player in games.  In Portugal U21 he spearheaded that defensive midfield position alongside players such as Joao Felix, Diogo Jota, Gedson & Horta.  Many of his teammates are already being capped by the Portugal Senior team.  To be honest, I am frankly shocked he joined Canada as soon as he did.  But given the young talent that Portugal is producing, he probably saw a brighter future playing for Canada.  He also spent much of his childhood in Canada unlike Tomori.

His talent is not in question in my opinion.  What is in question is how and if the ACL injury has affected his game.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

I agree that he has it is tough with Cruz Azul's midfield and agree that this might not be the game to throw him in.  But Cruz Azul's midfield isn't performing up to Cruz Azul standards over the past season. Along with Yotun, Pineda is fantastic.  Elias, Baca & Rodriguez are all strong as well. Did you ever watch him play for Chaves or Portugal U21?  He was regularly Chaves best player in games.  In Portugal U21 he spearheaded that defensive midfield position alongside players such as Joao Felix, Diogo Jota, Gedson & Horta.  Many of his teammates are already being capped by the Portugal Senior team.  To be honest, I am frankly shocked he joined Canada as soon as he did.  But given the young talent that Portugal is producing, he probably saw a brighter future playing for Canada.  He also spent much of his childhood in Canada unlike Tomori.

His talent is not in question in my opinion.  What is in question is how and if the ACL injury has affected his game.

Thanks for that breakdown, I haven't watched him with Portugal U21 or with Chaves, so I really appreciate that analysis from someone more familiar with him. That is very encouraging to read.

Can you speculate as to what you think his chances are at Cruz Azul and how you think an ACL injury will affect him, given what type of player he is?

We know for example that wide players who rely on pace are more negatively affected than central or defensive midfielders. Is that the case here? 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for that breakdown, I haven't watched him with Portugal U21 or with Chaves, so I really appreciate that analysis from someone more familiar with him. That is very encouraging to read.

Can you speculate as to what you think his chances are at Cruz Azul and how you think an ACL injury will affect him, given what type of player he is?

We know for example that wide players who rely on pace are more negatively affected than central or defensive midfielders. Is that the case here? 

Luckily for him, an ACL is less likely to affect his game as it might with someone who could lose speed, etc.  He's an intelligent player but isn't afraid to tackle.  Not sure he is Piette tough, but will be interesting to see how it affects his physicality.  I'm sure once he gets going and comfortable again, he will be back to his normal self.  Assuming he hasn't come back too early.

As for his chances at Cruz Azul.   Yotun, Alvarado, Elias & Pineda are well liked but are all more attacking or better out wider.  Pineda has been pinned as one of the next Mexicans to jump overeseas for a couple years now but has remained domestically.  In terms of defensive midfielders his biggest competition is Rafa Baca who is much older.  I suspect & hope Eustaquio will overtake him in the coming months.

6 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Looks like the lower bowl will be sold out, a few sections of the upper bowl.

Ticket aren’t cheap for basically anywhere, topping out at $135. All circumstances given, I’m pleasantly surprised here.

They do have a deal where you get 4 tickets for the price of 3. I got my 4 tickets in the lower bowl for less than $100.00 a while ago(that's including the service charges).

2 minutes ago, to70 said:

They do have a deal where you get 4 tickets for the price of 3. I got my 4 tickets in the lower bowl for less than $100.00 a while ago(that's including the service charges).

We have two pre game events...

One Oct 11th, the other before the game at Shoeless Joe's.  You won't see those emails if you bought from TM.

12 minutes ago, admin said:

We have two pre game events...

One Oct 11th, the other before the game at Shoeless Joe's.  You won't see those emails if you bought from TM.

I didn't get tix in the south end since my knees wouldn't hold up to standing all game.

4 hours ago, Corazon said:

He also spent much of his childhood in Canada unlike Tomori.

Thank you for your post  I am not sure everyone on here is aware of his talent/potential. I am beyond excited to have him on board. 

Take it with a grain a salt, but here is a quick article regarding transfer rumors prior to the Cruz Azul transfer. Really comes down to hoping he has had a smooth recovery and getting back his match fitness. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2808018-report-stephen-eustaquio-targeted-in-barcelona-manchester-city-rumours

Edited by apbsmith

6 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Why are they doing this when they can't even fill out the bottom bowl?

Could be getting a lot of requests for it.  Not sure how many you would need for that, or to accommodate some larger groups they can't fit into the lower bowl. 

Requests could be coming from TFC season ticket holders that usually want their same seats, but coudn't buy them.  Lots of people ask me for the same thing... or they used to anyway...

1 hour ago, Colliedor said:

Why are they doing this when they can't even fill out the bottom bowl?

They can offer more cheap tix if they open up the uppper bowl. $29 tix almost sold out in the lower bowl, only $50 and $70 remaining for the most part. 

some ppl may me more willing to come at $29 vs 50+++

sales look to be picking up. Especially south end(non Vs), there were probably 300-400 available on the weekend, now only 30-40

Edited by king1010

After seeing the detailed posts on what the crowds have been over the decades..and considering it is against the USA and the game means a lot, plus we should have a little more BUZZ around the CMNT with CPL, etc.....I  was kind of hoping/expecting over 20,000.