Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think a lot of it comes down to this very specific match: Canada vs. USA

People, even Canadians, like to put on their "other country" hat and bash the USA anytime soccer comes up.. but they can't do that if they're Canadian fans since we're even worse.  Supporting MLS is an easy way to sidestep this dilemma "I'm just here for *fill in the foreign star*".  

A win against the USA would be a major step forward for soccer in this country.  More so than any other victory at this point.

If a person doesn't know Canada has a soccer team I'm going to guess their football knowledge doesn't expand past the Champions League Final.  

or the World cup

Every Euro someone complains to me why Canada didn't make it....

... yet that same person will expound how ignorant I must be about soccer 'cause I'm Canadian and they are [insert nationality here]

EDIT:  I would replace

[Insert nationality here]

with

[insert ethnic background of country I have never been to but utilize for my own personal validation and identity and wield over others when convenient]

2 minutes ago, jtpc said:

Just noticed this morning that tickets are being sold now on Ticketmaster for the first 7-10 rows of sections 219-227. Nice! 😃

That's great news. 

EDIT:

Holy shit, the first one I clicked on was $70

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

or the World cup

Meh, if they follow the World Cup and haven't realized that there are new national teams in it every year then they are truly at the bottom of the barrel IQ wise.  I mean, to think that countries like Trinidad & Tobago, Togo, North Korea, Panama, Honduras, Iceland etc. have teams but Canada doesn't?  At that point you're either completely lost when it comes to footy or you're a moron.  

I didn't follow soccer as a young kid, never saw our national team on TV but I knew we had a national team (thanks Nutella! ;) ).

Regarding people not knowing the importance of the game, it's hard to blame them. It's hard to convey without reading an entire article about it. Look at this add in my facebook feed.

image.png.68b5309a198ec86e2664555146139cc0.png

So we know it's a game, and we know the where, when, and who. No mention of Nations League, the Gold Cup (there is an outside shot this game clinches us a Gold Cup berth, see I feel like I even need to explain that part on this thread to the hardest of the hardcore because no doubt there are several that hadn't realized that), or World Cup Qualifying.

Of course you can't brand it as a World Cup Qualifier, even though it is a de facto World Cup Qualifier, but there isn't an easy way to portray that on what is essentially a poster.

1 hour ago, hamiltonfan said:

Looks like the lower bowl will be sold out, a few sections of the upper bowl.

Ticket aren’t cheap for basically anywhere, topping out at $135. All circumstances given, I’m pleasantly surprised here.

It looks like there is still work to do to sell out the lower bowl. I'm not usually a blue dot counter, but there are still plenty, especially on the east side stands. I don't know if that many typically get sold in the final week or not.

image.thumb.png.8f3f51ac7ca29d9b70e7946d4ef2a780.png

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

Regarding people not knowing the importance of the game, it's hard to blame them. It's hard to convey without reading an entire article about it. Look at this add in my facebook feed.

So we know it's a game, and we know the where, when, and who. No mention of Nations League, the Gold Cup (there is an outside shot this game clinches us a Gold Cup berth, see I feel like I even need to explain that part on this thread to the hardest of the hardcore because no doubt there are several that hadn't realized that), or World Cup Qualifying.

Of course you can't brand it as a World Cup Qualifier, even though it is a de facto World Cup Qualifier, but there isn't an easy way to portray that on what is essentially a poster.

Quantum mechanics is easier to explain than Nations League.  I gave up doing it, and started just calling this World Cup Qualifying, and it is in some sense technically true. 

I am certain, as I am sure they have also found, that trying actually works against you.

A couple notes: 

1) I follow Canada Soccer and many other soccer accounts, players, teams on many social media platforms and I am constantly seeing Canada vs USA - A rivalry renewed advertisements on all platforms.  I also think "big brother" knows a little bit of my soccer history and following.  But, overall I have been pleasantly surprised with the marketing I have been seeing for this game.  For those not on social media, probably not seeing too much.

2) I can also attest to the TFC fans being very ignorant to the national team.  For instance, next to my seats at BMO, there are two friends that are also season's ticket holders who have very little interest or knowledge for the national program.  They seem like "somewhat" knowledgeable soccer fans as well.  I have been talking to them more and more about the Canadian program.  From Laryea's early starts I remember filling them in about his history and predicting his national team call-ups.  They are now big fans of Laryea based on his play but also in part to understanding his history with Orlando and knowing he is a local boy.  For months I have been talking up our program and about our upcoming games in Toronto.  On Sunday, they were very excited to tell me that they decided to attend the Canada vs USA game.  Again much in part due to Bradley & Altidore being there.

3) Cordova seems to be fitting in very well with many players.  Spending a lot of time with Osorio.  The other day, Cordova also joined Liam Millar at one of my close friends restaurant (a local TFC player favourite restaurant).

4) For anyone attending the game next week.  If you wait around a little after the game, the players will once again likely make their way around the stadium and then come over and spend time in the south west section of the stands.  This isn't a guarantee as a lot may depend on the coaches and the result but just a heads up.

47 minutes ago, Kent said:

They should take a short cut and just call this a WCQ. There's no alternative.

When Euro snobs or Latin American snobs..btbe latter more just out of complete ignorance of Canadian soccer put up blockers. I usually just tell them we're the France of the Americas but more so because we also have people coming to Canada from Latin America and Asia. I also tell them about weather and the innovation of synthetic turf. I then say soccer is and always has been popular in Canada put how good would any country be without a soccer league. I tell them they'll know what I'm talking about soon enough. These comments usually stops them in their tracks and you can start to see them realizing I'm probably correct

But anyways.. great to see tickets start to move. I have complete faith it will be a big and boisterous crowd at bmo

Edited by SpursFlu

22 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

They should take a short cut and just call this a WCQ. There's no alternative.

I think early on they tried, and probably got in trouble for it. 

FIFA controls EVERYTHING right down to how they are allowed to write the date on something. 

Not much leeway for doing that.

2 hours ago, jtpc said:

Just noticed this morning that tickets are being sold now on Ticketmaster for the first 7-10 rows of sections 219-227. Nice! 😃

I know this game isn't going to be on proper TV, but I wish the CSA would open up the east side upper deck before the west as it looks better on camera.

They did the same thing for the Jamaica friendly two years ago (opened the west upper deck, kept the east mostly closed), and even though there were legitimately 21,000 in the building it looked like much less on TV at first glance because 90% of the upper deck seats that face the TV cameras were empty. That one deck alone holds over 8000, so it makes things look much fuller overall if it has people in it.

Just now, RS said:

I know this game isn't going to be on proper TV, but I wish the CSA would open up the east side upper deck before the west as it looks better on camera.

They did the same thing for the Jamaica friendly two years ago (opened the west upper deck, kept the east mostly closed), and even though there were legitimately 21,000 in the building it looked like much less on TV at first glance because 90% of the upper deck that faces the TV cameras were empty. That one deck alone holds over 8000, so it makes things look much fuller overall if it has people in it.

I was thinking the same thing.  Must cost less, security/staffing wise to do it on the west side first. 

51 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

When Euro snobs or Latin American snobs..btbe latter more just out of complete ignorance of Canadian soccer put up blockers. I usually just tell them we're the France of the Americas but more so because we also have people coming to Canada from Latin America and Asia. I also tell them about weather and the innovation of synthetic turf. I then say soccer is and always has been popular in Canada put how good would any country be without a soccer league. I tell them they'll know what I'm talking about soon enough. These comments usually stops them in their tracks and you can start to see them realizing I'm probably correct

But anyways.. great to see tickets start to move. I have complete faith it will be a big and boisterous crowd at bmo

At the Cuba game, I noticed quite a bit of latin american's (non Cuban) in attendance.  Proportionally more than you would see at a Toronto FC game.  Could also have been the sections I was sitting in.

My two cents on this game:

If we want to have any chance of qualifying for the Hex, we need a win at home. A draw would be a good result but we need a win. 

We need a good block in front our D, 'cause really our pairing is not up to standards. It barely is with Henry in the line-up. Piette and Eustaquio in front of D and let the rest of 'm sort it out op front. We have enough players that can score without having to play well as a team. 

44 minutes ago, admin said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Must cost less, security/staffing wise to do it on the west side first. 

The west side has a shared concourse between the upper and lower bowl right? Whereas the Eastside has two different concourses for the upper and lower bowls. Definitely cheaper to open up west side upper level given you don't have to staff an extra concourse. 

Edited by king1010