The Road to Qatar.

Binky

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Also confirmation that the playoffs will be a single game on neutral ground.

You called the draw date @narduch !

What a shite format.  No final home match for the fans to enjoy.

Matches likely played in the USA (if the US isn't in 4th) or Europe or Qatar I would guess.

Qatar likely wants the practice run for some of their new stadiums.

13 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

You called the draw date @narduch !

What a shite format.  No final home match for the fans to enjoy.

Matches likely played in the USA (if the US isn't in 4th) or Europe or Qatar I would guess.

Qatar likely wants the practice run for some of their new stadiums.

In pretty sure this will be in Qatar in one of their stadiums with a roof

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Don't have a link, but there was a story out that Oceania wants to have their entire qualifying tournament in Qatar in June as a lead up to the playoff.

As of right now OFC qualifying has not started and has not been scheduled 

Pretty clever. NZ team gets to get super acclimated to the conditions, in form/match shape, and no need to build up chemistry.

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

Don't have a link, but there was a story out that Oceania wants to have their entire qualifying tournament in Qatar in June as a lead up to the playoff.

As of right now OFC qualifying has not started and has not been scheduled 

Hah I was laughing at that a couple days ago but it sure makes a lot more sense now.

23 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I read a similar story. A tournament during the March window.

Yeah, no  announcement yet, but they would probably have the 8 top-ranked teams in QF/SF/final playoff series over the 8 days in Qatar. The lower-ranked teams will holler foul, but not much you can do.

4 hours ago, theaub said:

Is the New Zealand border even open yet? 

I live there and no, it's not. We're only letting the Aucklanders out to the rest of the country on 15 dec so the international border is still a ways away. Baby steps. 

They have been letting sports teams through MIQ (managed isolation quarantine) since last year, notably international rugby and cricket teams. It works particularly well for cricket as international tours will have a team visit for 2-3 weeks and play 5-8 games in that time span. It wouldn't work so well for the quick moving home and away of FIFA wcq though. 

5 hours ago, Scottie said:

IThey have been letting sports teams through MIQ (managed isolation quarantine) since last year, notably international rugby and cricket teams. It works particularly well for cricket as international tours will have a team visit for 2-3 weeks and play 5-8 games in that time span. It wouldn't work so well for the quick moving home and away of FIFA wcq though. 

Well some Oceania nations wouldn't want back-and-forth either (at this time). I would think that OFC brass is resigned to a hosted tournament, the only question is whether they do it somewhat inexpensively w/ some local support (either Australia or New Zealand) or somewhat more expensively in a truly neutral site (with much better weather...although Brisbane in June would be nice.) Given the finances of each federation excl. NZ in the best of times, I'm thinking they'll stay close to home. But eager to hear what is being rumoured from a local....

Still lots of time from now to May; no reason to believe current COVID restrictions will remain or be tightened. Could have it in two weeks in Fiji (though I'm not sure every team could return home after). In 3 months I suspect there will be plenty of options.

9 minutes ago, Floortom said:

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/unvaccinated-athletes-no-longer-allowed-into-canada-as-of-jan-15-013651603.html

Interesting development that could have an impact on us and our opponents. Hopefully all our boys are vaccinated

Wow.  That is interesting. Like you said - we better make sure we have our boys double vaxxed.  One more home advantage possibility.  

26 minutes ago, Floortom said:

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/unvaccinated-athletes-no-longer-allowed-into-canada-as-of-jan-15-013651603.html

Interesting development that could have an impact on us and our opponents. Hopefully all our boys are vaccinated

I know there was zero confirmation on this, but based on not being able to go to Mexico, I imagine this possibly means Hoilett isn’t coming for the Canada/US game.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Hhmm I thought the exemption was only North American "pro sports" as "international athletes". 

Super clear now at least. 

• Admin locked this topic