The Road to Qatar.

Binky

Am I the only one thinking we could finish first? Yeah it's tied at the top, but we have the best calendar to come. Next 3 games : Mexico (H), Honduras (A) and USA (H). The Honduras game might be easier than expected, they'll probably already be eliminated. We draw Mexico and USA away, we can beat them here. That would put us first after 10/14 games.

5 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Am I the only one thinking we could finish first? Yeah it's tied at the top, but we have the best calendar to come. Next 3 games : Mexico (H), Honduras (A) and USA (H). The Honduras game might be easier than expected, they'll probably already be eliminated. We draw Mexico and USA away, we can beat them here. That would put us first after 10/14 games.

Home or not, it seems odd to characterize playing the two best teams during the next 3 games as being “the best calendar”.   Both of those games will be tough as hell.  

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Home or not, it seems odd to characterize playing the two best teams during the next 3 games as being “the best calendar”.   Both of those games will be tough as hell.  

Mexico just lost and will be playing in a veeerryyyy hard environment. We have confidence and momentum, plus we showed that we don't fear them or the States anymore. In fact, we were the better team in our last 2 games vs USA. 

I think I was just surprised reading people talking about the playoff spot...

Edited by MauditYvon

1 minute ago, MauditYvon said:

Mexico just lost and will be playing in a veeerryyyy hard environment. We have confidence and momentum, plus we showed that we don't fear them or the States anymore. In fact, we were the better team in our last 2 games vs USA. 

I think the playoff talk is just realism.  There are 4 spots and 4 teams very much still in it.  We don’t have an easy schedule from here on out.  We can do it but it will be hard.  

8 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

On the flip side, Mexico just lost and will arrive pissed off

58 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

And you think Mexico, Panama or USA have easier schedules? 

The schedule seems fairly balanced- although Mexico has the easiest after this window.  We have our toughest travel schedule in the last 2 windows (AHA) with all our away games in Central America.

An ideal situation would have us face an eliminated Jamaica in the 2nd game of the last window, and have the US eliminate Panama during the same round.  

Our next 3 games well against Mexico if we can win that game, then great but I predict a draw with Mexico either 0-0 or 1-1 (1 point for draw)

Then against Honduras, I predict a win giving us 3 points

And then against USA at home, in Vancouver, at BC Place, I predict a draw giving us a point

Realistically through the next window that gives 18 points

19 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

The schedule seems fairly balanced- although Mexico has the easiest after this window.  We have our toughest travel schedule in the last 2 windows (AHA) with all our away games in Central America.

An ideal situation would have us face an eliminated Jamaica in the 2nd game of the last window, and have the US eliminate Panama during the same round.  

Last window will be tough for us (matchday 12 @ Costa Rica and matchday 14 @ Panama). 

Until then I really believe we should see us as favorites in all games.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think the playoff talk is just realism.  There are 4 spots and 4 teams very much still in it.  We don’t have an easy schedule from here on out.  We can do it but it will be hard.  

Last night during the post game babble, KJ said that Canada needs only three wins to make it to Qatar. 3 wins or 9 points.

1 hour ago, MauditYvon said:

My read is we have the hardest remaining schedule of the top 4.

Panama and Mexico have 4 home games left. USA has 3, 2 of which are against bottom of the table opposition. We have 3, 2 of which are against the US and Mexico. Yes, we can beat them, and if we do those are 6 point games, but we're also much more likely to draw or loose then if we're playing lower table teams (like the US). And we still have yet to prove we can win on the road, let alone in Central America, which is exactly were we are going in our next 4 matches, and guess what... we are going to need wins down there.

Unlike past groups, I think we've got this, but at the same time let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

Stupid Honduras.  What a thorn in our side that team has been.  Even when they’re a garbage team and we don’t play them they manage to screw things up for us.  

and still, even when they loose... #FH!

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

All it will take is losing to Mexico and Panama beating El Salvador to put us in 4th at the end of this window.  Not a particularly unlikely scenario.

I think Panama's schedule after Tuesday is a little tougher than Canada's though.

• Admin locked this topic