The Road to Qatar.

Binky

58 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wow.  That is interesting. Like you said - we better make sure we have our boys double vaxxed.  One more home advantage possibility.  

I believe I read somewhere it was  98%+ in the top 2 Italian leagues are double vaxed. I think that makes sense how it raveged that country's population at one point.  However, in the top 2 leagues in England ~50% were double vaxed from the September international window but is now believed to be upwards of 60%. 

Edited by apbsmith
Top 2 not top 3

7 hours ago, Floortom said:

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/unvaccinated-athletes-no-longer-allowed-into-canada-as-of-jan-15-013651603.html

Interesting development that could have an impact on us and our opponents. Hopefully all our boys are vaccinated

As a Canadian citizen, I assume that technically he'd still be allowed into the country, but he would need to quarantine for 14 days (not feasible).

If he continues to refuse, I wonder if they would fly him into Honduras and then fly him directly to San Salvador. Plays match #1 and #3 of the window.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I believe Borjan is unvaccinated as there was a recent report stating that only three or four players at Crvena zvezda were fully vaccinated and he was not one of them. That being said the entire team had contracted COVID-19 at some point, including Borjan. So he probably only needs one dose and hopefully should get it soon. 

1 hour ago, boris4c said:

I believe Borjan is unvaccinated as there was a recent report stating that only three or four players at Crvena zvezda were fully vaccinated and he was not one of them. That being said the entire team had contracted COVID-19 at some point, including Borjan. So he probably only needs one dose and hopefully should get it soon. 

With all MLS back-ups who will be off-season this could be very bad for January.

Saw a complete mock draw of Qatar 2022 and seeing Canada's mock group draw it was amazing 

QATAR (HOSTS)

AFC (ASIA)- SAUDI ARABIA, JAPAN, IRAN, SOUTH KOREA AND AUSTRALIA (BY BEATING NEW ZEALAND IN PLAYOFF)

CAF (AFRICA)- SENEGAL, NIGERIA, EGYPT, ALGERIA AND GHANA

CONCACAF (NORTH AMERICA)- MEXICO, USA AND CANADA

CONMEBOL (SOUTH AMERICA)- BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, ECUADOR, PERU AND COLOMBIA (BY BEATING PANAMA IN PLAY OFF)

UEFA- DENMARK, GERMANY, SWITZERLAND, NETHERLANDS, ENGLAND, FRANCE, SERBIA, SPAIN, BELGIUM, CROATIA, ITALY, PORTUGAL AND POLAND

GROUP DRAW PREDICTIONS

GROUP A- QATAR, CANADA, PERU, ITALY

GROUP B- FRANCE, CROATIA, ECUADOR, SOUTH KOREA

GROUP C- SPAIN, SAUDI ARABIA, ENGLAND, COLOMBIA

GROUP D- ARGENTINA, JAPAN, ALGERIA, SWITZERLAND

GROUP E- GERMANY, USA, POLAND, SENEGAL

GROUP F- PORTUGAL, NETHERLANDS, EGYPT, MEXICO

GROUP G- BELGIUM, GHANA, DENMARK, AUSTRALIA

GROUP H- BRAZIL, NIGERIA, SERBIA, IRAN

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Saw a complete mock draw of Qatar 2022 and seeing Canada's mock group draw it was amazing 

QATAR (HOSTS)

AFC (ASIA)- SAUDI ARABIA, JAPAN, IRAN, SOUTH KOREA AND AUSTRALIA (BY BEATING NEW ZEALAND IN PLAYOFF)

CONMEBOL (SOUTH AMERICA)- BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, ECUADOR, PERU AND COLOMBIA (BY BEATING PANAMA IN PLAY OFF)

UEFA- DENMARK, GERMANY, SWITZERLAND, NETHERLANDS, ENGLAND, FRANCE, SERBIA, SPAIN, BELGIUM, CROATIA, ITALY, PORTUGAL AND POLAND

GROUP DRAW PREDICTIONS

Our dream. 

Make it. 

Score a goal. 

Get a point. 

Get a win

Get out of the group stage. 

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

QATAR (HOSTS)

GROUP DRAW PREDICTIONS

Some pretty interesting groups there. I can see us getting out of that group, but it would be tough. Any group will be tough for us though, to be fair. 

Group F would probably be the group of death: Mexico, Portugal, Netherlands and a Salah-led Egypt capable of producing an upset. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Some pretty interesting groups there. I can see us getting out of that group, but it would be tough. Any group will be tough for us though, to be fair. 

Group F would probably be the group of death: Mexico, Portugal, Netherlands and a Salah-led Egypt capable of producing an upset. 

Yeah on a mock draw seeing the groups, a lot of interesting groups but Canada in that mock being drawn with the hosts Qatar, could you imagine? Especially having to play them in the opening match 

9 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

QATAR (HOSTS)

GROUP DRAW PREDICTIONS

How would Italy and Qatar be in the same group? They would both be pot 1 teams (If Italy were to make it out of the UEFA playoff). 

1 hour ago, TOCanada115 said:

How would Italy and Qatar be in the same group? They would both be pot 1 teams (If Italy were to make it out of the UEFA playoff). 

Italy didn't qualify straight away.  They were 2nd and have to go to playoffs.  They aren't in yet. I'm not sure if not qualifying straight away makes them ineligible for pot 1 regardless of world ranking. 

3 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

Exactly .   They are currently 6th with 1740 points.  They were 4th with 1750 pts previously.   The ratings are effective Nov 19th.   Hence the fact that they are in the playoffs (and didnt win their grp) is already factored into the ratings therefore they cant go any lower in the ratings.  So that means pot 1. To drop any lower in the ranking, they would have to not qualify for the WC.

Edit>;  I just noted other things that don't make sense about that Mock draw.  England, Euro finalists & currently ranked 4th in the world, are not in POT 1.  But Por and Ger, who are both currently outside the top 7, are in pot 1.   

Edited by Free kick

16 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

Italy didn't qualify straight away.  They were 2nd and have to go to playoffs.  They aren't in yet. I'm not sure if not qualifying straight away makes them ineligible for pot 1 regardless of world ranking. 

But i thought we were all going by the assumption that pot distribution was all based on rankings.  otherwise, why would Arg be in pot 1 when they too finished 2nd in their grp. And Por (8th ) are also going to the playoff but he has them in Pot 1.  

That mock draw presumably has: Qatar, Fra, Esp, Arg, Ger, Por, Bra, Bel as top seeds (Pot 1).  Ita (6th) and Por (8th) are in the playoff but only Por is showing in Pot 1.   Ger (11th) is a top seed according to that scenario but Denmark (9th) who was perfect in WCQ (0 losses and 0 Goals against) is not.  

Edited by Free kick

On 11/20/2021 at 9:19 AM, Floortom said:

Interesting development that could have an impact on us and our opponents. Hopefully all our boys are vaccinated

Canadian citizens won't be denied entry, although as another poster said, they may be required to quarantine and effectively prevented from playing.

18 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

The fewer English based players the better in terms of vaccination status. Could make for a rough January. Or maybe this just gets them to get vaccinated and everyone wins 

Because the American's will lose out more than us?

Pulisic, Robinson and Steffan vs Hoilett and Wotherspoon

Or if you want to consider fringe players: Sargent, Carter-Vickers, Horvath and Ream vs Arfield, Corbeanu and Leutwiler?

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Because the American's will lose out more than us?

Pulisic, Robinson and Steffan vs Hoilett and Wotherspoon

Or if you want to consider fringe players: Sargent, Carter-Vickers, Horvath and Ream vs Arfield, Corbeanu and Leutwiler?

Because the English leagues reportedly have disastrous vaccination levels. Not a comparison to the states roster, just an observation that if unvaccinated players aren't going to be competing, it's seems statistically that the fewer British placed players you have, the better.

7 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Because the English leagues reportedly have disastrous vaccination levels. Not a comparison to the states roster, just an observation that if unvaccinated players aren't going to be competing, it's seems statistically that the fewer British placed players you have, the better.

Ah got ya. So more of a health concern than a footballing one for you. 

Do we know how they compare to other leagues? Regardless, no need to worry imo since teams having stringent testing protocols. We have yet to see an issue with this Canada group in that regard. 

Barrinf any setbacks, a couple of reporters in South America heard through the grapevine that CONMEBOL 5th will play against CONCACAF 4th.  FIFA will confirm but doesn’t favor CONCACAF to qualify even on a neutral site.  Hope Canada qualifies directly because I can’t see them beating Colombia, Chile, Peru and Uruguay for the final playoff spot.  Let Panama suffer instead.

Edited by nolbertos

Just now, nolbertos said:

Barrinf any setbacks, a couple of reporters in South America heard through the grapevine that CONMEBOL 5th will play against CONCACAF 4th.  FIFA will confirm but doesn’t favor CONCACAF to qualify even on a neutral site.  Hope Canada qualifies directly because I can’t see them beating Colombia, Chile, Peru and Uruguay for the playoff.  Let Panama suffer instead.

The draw is being done on Friday

5 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Barrinf any setbacks, a couple of reporters in South America heard through the grapevine that CONMEBOL 5th will play against CONCACAF 4th.  FIFA will confirm but doesn’t favor CONCACAF to qualify even on a neutral site.  Hope Canada qualifies directly because I can’t see them beating Colombia, Chile, Peru and Uruguay for the final playoff spot.  Let Panama suffer instead.

Can't argue with your point about trying to get in directly to avoid CONEMBOL, but I give us 50/50 against the teams listed in a neutral site.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

Is this one of those hot and cold balls scenarios? 

• Admin locked this topic