The Road to Qatar.

Binky

8 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

You agreed with the guys that Miller and Kennedy, two left footers, makes more sense than starting Vitoria if playing a back four?

100%. 

I have an affinity for  Doneil (TFC first homegrown signing), I appreciate Vitoria....but they should be guys you only bring on to potentially close out the game.

4 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Vitoria and Henry are dominant in the air, and probably why you would begrudgingly want to start either of them, but if we didn't, I would expect a lot more issues of set pieces.

Those guys are just power headers....like it's their main skillset. 
Kennedy and Miller are both capable of winning aerial duals. 

It's the dribble passed, is what Doneil and Vitoria are susceptible too.

55 minutes ago, Shway said:

Those guys are just power headers....like it's their main skillset. 
Kennedy and Miller are both capable of winning aerial duals. 

It's the dribble passed, is what Doneil and Vitoria are susceptible too.

If you watch Miller on a regular basis with CFMontreal you wouldn't say he's capable of winning aerial duels. That is the one thing I dislike about his game. His aerial duels.

So Miller wins very few of his aerial duels? 41% in fact... with only 0.87 per game, it seems he's very selective with the duels he chooses to go into, which makes that number especially concerning. This kinda cements for me that Kennedy is the better choice on the left. Even if he isn't as great in the air as his height would indicate, he's much more aggressive with almost 3 aerial wins per game and very good on the ground.

Edited by PiedPilko

14 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

If you watch Miller on a regular basis with CFMontreal you wouldn't say he's capable of winning aerial duels. That is the one thing I dislike about his game. His aerial duels.

Early on in Montreal's season I think it was Peter Galindo who mentioned that a number of goals against Montreal were a result of Miller's failure to win a header. It is definitely a weakness of his.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Early on in Montreal's season I think it was Peter Galindo who mentioned that a number of goals against Montreal were a result of Miller's failure to win a header. It is definitely a weakness of his.

He has gotten a tad better in the later part of this season but nothing to really get excited about. His problem is he can't get any height on his jumps.

6 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

So Miller wins very few of his aerial duels? 41% in fact... with only 0.87 per game, it seems he's very selective with the duels he chooses to go into, which makes that number especially concerning. This kinda cements for me that Kennedy is the better choice on the left. Even if he isn't as great in the air as his height would indicate, he's much more aggressive with almost 3 aerial wins per game and very good on the ground.

It’s not as big of a deal breaker with 3 at the back I don’t think. If we play 4 at the back, your CBs both really need to be strong in the air. With 3 on the back it falls more on the middle of the 3 I think. I do prefer Kennedy either way though I think.

11 hours ago, VinceA said:

Yeah.  I definitely noticed that in the highlights and remarked on it here.  It wasn't even so much that he didn't win the header.  He basically didn't try to contest them.  Maybe with the confidence from the Gold Cup, he may at least put his body on the line and contest them...that in itself is enough to put players off most of the time.

Saw this Octagonal prediction from a YouTuber in Mexico (Oscar Lopez).

He's actually predicted the scores for all the matches in the entire Octagonal on his channel (Planeta Tri). His September predictions for us are a 2-1 home win over Honduras, a 2-1 loss in the US, and a 3-0 home win over El Salvador. Seems pretty realistic. He also thinks we will earn a draw against Mexico at home in November.

His final Octagonal standings are:

1. Mexico
2. USA
3. Honduras
4. Canada
5. Costa Rica
6. Jamaica
7. Panama
8. El Salvador

Edited by jtpc

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I’m a bit concerned with Osorio and Laryea playing and constantly losing game after game with this garbage TFC team. Can this have any effect on their performance with Canada in the upcoming World Cup qualifying games ? Can’t be good I would imagine.

I wouldn’t worry as both don’t seem to be at the heart of the problem with TFC.  I can imagine how excited they’ll be to come into a positive environment, and that might give them a boost.

7 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I’m a bit concerned with Osorio and Laryea playing and constantly losing game after game with this garbage TFC team. Can this have any effect on their performance with Canada in the upcoming World Cup qualifying games ? Can’t be good I would imagine.

It does worry me a little bit but it's not like Toronto FC was any better before Gold Cup and both player well enough for Canada.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, SoccMan said:

If anything that could help their play for Canada.  Playing for canada can give them something to focus on and be optimistic about for this year.  Given that TFC is a lost cause.

Edited by Free kick

On 8/21/2021 at 8:53 PM, jtpc said:

Saw this Octagonal prediction from a YouTuber in Mexico (Oscar Lopez).

He's actually predicted the scores for all the matches in the entire Octagonal on his channel (Planeta Tri). His September predictions for us are a 2-1 home win over Honduras, a 2-1 loss in the US, and a 3-0 home win over El Salvador. Seems pretty realistic. He also thinks we will earn a draw against Mexico at home in November.

His final Octagonal standings are:

1. Mexico
2. USA
3. Honduras
4. Canada
5. Costa Rica
6. Jamaica
7. Panama
8. El Salvador

Had us beating the US at home as well (and taking 2/12 points in Central America).

49 minutes ago, Free kick said:

If anything that could help their play for Canada.  Playing for canada can give them something to focusnon and be optimistics about for this year.  Given that TFC is a lost cause.

I agree with this take.  They are still the same skilled footy players they were last year for TFC (or last window for us).   Getting into a positive environment where everyone is confident and playing well would be a big boost.  I don’t see their TFC form carrying over for the Nats.  I think they come into the September window ready to forget about TFC and play well for Canada.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree with this take.  They are still the same skilled footy players they were last year for TFC (or last window for us).   Getting into a positive environment where everyone is confident and playing well would be a big boost.  I don’t see their TFC form carrying over for the Nats.  I think they come into the September window ready to forget about TFC and play well for Canada.  

Hoping to see similar with David, to be honest. 

19 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Really hope Antonio does not make it to Jamaica, made Leicester CBs look like kids tonight. 

He’ll be the Jamaican Jozy Alitdore.
I hope they are all there, and then issues arise for the second window. Lol

Jamaica’s attack will be problems - if they can get all their guys. Bailey, Reid, Roofe, Antonio, Lowe….problems! 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

He’ll be the Jamaican Jozy Alitdore.
I hope they are all there, and then issues arise for the second window. Lol

Jamaica’s attack will be problems - if they can get all their guys. Bailey, Reid, Roofe, Antonio, Lowe….problems! 

There is now talk of UK based Jamaican players not going to WQC. 

• Admin locked this topic