Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

Just now, canuckgbp said:

Good 80 minutes. Looked gassed at the end. Def warrants more time in the lineup. Didn't look small or out of place. 

I think Caldwell mentioned there’s physical/fitness issue that has been a part of why he hasn’t played so much, but for his first start wow.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, RS said:

My entire point is that it's way too early to judge the club's handling of his development as a failure, as many here are all too eager to do. He's playing more now than he did earlier this season, and will presumably play more next season than he is now.

Even if it's not that linear a progression, it should still trend upward for the foreseeable future. At some point, it will be on his shoulders to make the most of his opportunities, but that's obviously not yet.

Right now he's playing based on potential rather than output, which is normal. If he flames out Tabla style (where multiple coaches and teams come to the same conclusion) then perhaps it'll only be on his shoulders, but if he simply doesn't pan out at this level then the club should absolutely share the blame.

As for why he's not playing with confidence now is anybody's guess, but I'm not sure there has to be anyone to blame. He's certainly not the first teenager to play timidly when stepping up to the first team, but it's something both he and the club will want to figure out.

A case study that fails to mention that he went on to make seven more appearances (four starts) before getting injured is incomplete.

The ill-fated Auro at DM experiment was one of several reasons Chris Armas got canned, but it doesn't really speak to the club's overall use of Priso this season and last.

If anything pushes Shaffelburg to the bench in the next game it would be the continued re-integration of Altidore and Pozeulo into the side, not that he "didn't put the team on his back."

As for this specific example, I don't know if scoring a goal as a substitute should automatically mean he should get to start in the next game, but as a Shafell-stan I don't think it would've hurt the team to do so. The team was experimenting with all sorts of crazy ideas under Armas and has gone back to a more conservative approach with Perez at the helm. It is what it is.

This is y

On 10/17/2021 at 9:27 AM, RS said:

For all the complaining in here, it's pretty clear that JMR is the kid TFC is trying to blood the most out of the (available) youngsters.

Is it not enough? Maybe. But he's still a 17 year old getting into most games now.

I'd like to see him get a start, preferably at home.

@Stryker911Is this also y

Quite remarkable that a string of games/minutes has allowed players to settle into the squad.  Funny how that works. 

Due to injury, Priso was given a string of games and looked quite good.  Due to injury, Shaff was given a string of games and looked quite good.  Finally JMR is getting some time and showing what he can do.  Funny that from all the young Canadians on TFC to be given a few games to adjust, have all successfully taken the opportunity.  It would be nice to see Okello, Nelson & Peruzza get a few games in a row to settle in.  All 3 of those players have been put in odd games and then they don't see the field for a few weeks and then another random appearance before back to the bench.  Okello has been starting to get some minutes but he's going to need more time and more effort.  Today, I thought Nelson (aside from a few poor touches) looked relatively lively and good.  Nsleon definitely showed that he has skill there.  We just haven't seen enough from Peruzza in regards to minutes but I could almost guarantee you that if you gave Peruzza both Dwyer & Mullins total minutes in this season, that he is going to have more than 0 goals.

8 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Quite remarkable that a string of games/minutes has allowed players to settle into the squad.  Funny how that works. 

Quit talking crazy, its far too early to say that the way TFC did things the first half of the season wasnt the best thing for the youngsters.  Play the kids!!!  Thats our motto!!  

Everyone here trying to flip the narrative to make TFC sound like it's all part of the plan need to take it down a notch. Am I happy he (and the rest of the young guys) finally got playing time and looked good in those minutes? Of course. Would I have rathered he have 10+ appearances and double the number of minutes? 100%

This might not be the most analytic perspective on things that you're all looking for, but IMO three guys that everyone can agree are questionable at best - Zavaleta, Dwyer, and Mullins (2227 mins) - should not have more mins than Priso, Okello, Singh, JMR, Nelson, Singh, Perruza, and Dunn (1974).

We've never been asking for sacrificing logical management of the team at the expense of development. There have been plenty of garbage minutes this season to go around without making it overkill to play the kids.

Approve my account Pls...thats crazy, those guys you mentioned are integral to TFC's success.  Zav was here in 2017 (thats all you need to say) and Mullins is a great striker to bring on when you dont want to score goals. And Dwyer.....well at least we are not paying him much.  

Sorry I am just trying to even things up, its hard watching RS be the only one instantly defending whatever managment does.   

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

JMR was good but I’d still like to see more. Is he not that fast? I only watched the second half but he didn’t seem eager to take on players. He made some good decisions out there but I’d like to see a little more confidence/aggressiveness. 

He was lively in the first half. Put in some good balls and dribbles. Great weight to his passes and in a good area for them to run on. Had a good shot on goal as well.

He looked gassed in the second half. 

Edited by canuckgbp

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

its hard watching RS be the only one instantly defending whatever managment does.   

Probably because that's not what I'm doing, and I'm tired of having to explain why I don't think JMR should've been thrown to the wolves early in the season just to satisfy some people on the Internet.

Literally my first post in this thread after today's game was praising Marshall-Rutty for overcoming some of the flaws that I see in his game to be better and more consistent, flaws that I've repeatedly said are normal for a kid his age and that I expect he will overcome, and in response I've got people trying to bait me into pointless arguments.

Related: It's bullshit that another poster demands that I justify Mullins' involvement over Perruzza as if I

• a. have anything to do with Mullins' selection,
  • b. think Mullins is good for anything other than coming on in the last 10 minutes of games to help defend a lead (even that's a stretch)