Jayden Nelson

KW519

2 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

When the final whistle blew, Deleon, Dwyer and Mullins were all on the pitch (to be fair, Mullins was a sub so that Morrow could do a victory lap right before the whistle).  Kinda gives an idea of where the priorities were for the final game in a lost season.

I am telling myself those 3 are all gone next year, so perhaps they gave them a final hurrah. Somehow I doubt it though....

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I would love to see him as a semi-regular 75'-80' minute substitute.  Not sure if that will happen though.

Considering where he's at as a player, this is my expectation for continuing his development. Like yourself I am skeptical we actually see it.

5 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Nelson is still a boy among men, at least in the physicality department.  He will change, and so will his situation.  I'm not going to judge him or the team harshly based on his current usage.  In fact, I think he's been lucky to get as much playing time as he has.

That's an interesting view. He arguably hasn't done enough with the few chances he's had.

Toronto was eliminated though, so unless he's way below the standard why not play him more? And if he's that far below the standard why name him to the bench?

You are eliminated and you nail this kid to the bench on the final game of the season? I just sense THEY think he's not ready to play, but nonetheless see value in letting him experience being in the first team. 

It reminds me of Corbeanu at Wolves....

34 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

When the final whistle blew, Deleon, Dwyer and Mullins were all on the pitch (to be fair, Mullins was a sub so that Morrow could do a victory lap right before the whistle).  Kinda gives an idea of where the priorities were for the final game in a lost season.

Unless there is a sea change at TFC, I don't have high hopes for Nelson.  I doubt he will see more than he saw this season.  To further compound that, I think there is a good chance that management tries to patch the wrong holes on the ship: the best way to get a fanbase back on board is to get flashy attacking talent which would push Nelson further down the depth chart.

I would love to see him as a semi-regular 75'-80' minute substitute.  Not sure if that will happen though.

It would seem that they’ll try to give the same group another go when it’s clear they aren’t good enough… 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Didn't see the final match of the season, a 3-1 loss to DC, but I did notice that Nelson remained on the bench.

Does anyone else's disappointment for this go beyond the typical "play Canadians always" mindset? Because for me it does.

I am more critical of TFC brass than anyone about CDN content, but what can you do??  Since Endohs injury when they were almost forced to play one of the kids and they chose to play Rutty over Nelsen.  You are not going to sit Soteldo, Osorio etc...maybe Achara, but he is strong, fast, very direct..Achara deserves a look too and is definitely physically up to the job.  I feel bad for Nelsen, as he was so highly touted and looked very good in youth games for Canada...but maybe he just needs more time to adjust to the rigors of MLS.  Or maybe he wont make it...we'll have to wait and see if he showed enough and whether he gets buried in the depth chart by new signings.  

1 minute ago, canuckgbp said:

Will have to see how the roster develops. He needs regular minutes though.... If he can't get regular sub appearances and the odd start then he needs to go out on loan and get real minutes. 

Yea and I'm fine with that. I just hope TFC finds options for these guys outside the rigours of MLS....finding situations abroad. 

19 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I am more critical of TFC brass than anyone about CDN content, but what can you do??  Since Endohs injury when they were almost forced to play one of the kids and they chose to play Rutty over Nelsen.  You are not going to sit Soteldo, Osorio etc...maybe Achara, but he is strong, fast, very direct..Achara deserves a look too and is definitely physically up to the job.  I feel bad for Nelsen, as he was so highly touted and looked very good in youth games for Canada...but maybe he just needs more time to adjust to the rigors of MLS.  Or maybe he wont make it...we'll have to wait and see if he showed enough and whether he gets buried in the depth chart by new signings.  

Achara I am not too hard on.  He got a chance as he was a regular player throughout August, September and October.  He's decent depth but at 24, how much higher is his ceiling?  At this point, after three months game-in, game-out and 826 minutes, you should have a good idea of what you have.

I fully understand that you can't play all the kids, all the time, but there is time on the outside wings that could be available if there is a clear gameplan.  Where is Soteldo going to be playing, out wide or centrally like he did for a lot of the tail end of the season?  Are you going to commit to keeping Laryea on the back line rather than move him up like what was done when Lawrence was brought in (this also happened with Morrow playing left mid early in the season as well)?  Are Endoh and Deleon really the gamebreakers you need or should that time be used to build for the future?

Marshall-Rutty and Nelson combined for a touch more time (668 mins) than was given to Deleon (628 mins).  Barring his injury, pretty sure Endoh would've eclipsed both of them as he finished with 513 and I could definitely have seen him play another match and a half.

There is time there that could be available to these kids without jeopardizing the on-field product.  If they were to both get about 600 mins (not unreasonable), that would be pretty solid and TFC would know what they have, like they hopefully do now with Achara.

^^^ Agree with all that.  Endoh never should have been brought back when TFC had a stable of promising young wingers eager for minutes.  Take his 6-7 starts and split them among Shaff, Nelsen, Rutty etc.  Deleon prob would have ate up more of the minutes that went to Priso/Okello if not for his covid/quarenteen problems.  Hopefully they do have a gameplan now after getting a better look at the kids.  WHat worries me is they cant see what they have (or more importantly havnt got) in vets like Bradley or Gonzalez.  

With this waste of a season Nelson probably needed to play more to see what we have with him.  There are a bunch of mediocre players, mostly American who need to go.  His agent needs to find out what the brass is thinking for next year.  With the young Canadians we have they can let go of Dwyer, Slomar, Endoh, Deleon, Gallardo, Mullins and let guys like Singh, Dunn, MR, Nelson, Okello, Priso...

I will be blunt.  If you don’t think he is ready, or you have too many journeymen on the roster that are ahead of him, loan him out to get competitive experience.  They are basically hoarding youth prospects and squandering them - while setting their development back.  

Nelson can’t play a consistent and disciplined role in a system?    No shit.   Maybe consistent playing time within a set system would help him out.  

• 1 month later...

"It was the Canadian Nelson Jayden (No. 76), born on 26/09/2002 and disembarked from FC Toronto, who left the best impression thanks to a certain technical ease and good ball handling.

He was lined up in the middle of the game and showed clever moves that led him to the finishing zone several times."

Anderlecht Online - Video: Anderlecht tested two players against RWDM hopefuls (09 Dec 21) (anderlecht-online.be)

"Nelson is a 19-year-old striker for MLS club Toronto FC . According to  Transfermarkt  , his value is estimated at 900,000 euros. Because of his good impression during the test match, Anderlecht are expected to make an offer for the attacker."

https://www.voetbal24.be/news/anderlecht-gaat-vol-voor-nieuw-goudhaantje

Just now, Xavier. said:

"Nelson is a 19-year-old striker for MLS club Toronto FC . According to  Transfermarkt  , his value is estimated at 900,000 euros. Because of his good impression during the test match, Anderlecht are expected to make an offer for the attacker."

https://www.voetbal24.be/news/anderlecht-gaat-vol-voor-nieuw-goudhaantje

God I hope Toronto don't stand in his way here. I can see Nelson exploding at Anderlecht, a club who knows what it's doing when it comes to developing players. 

If TFC are sensible, they could pocket themselves a tidy profit, get a bit of roster flexibility, AND improve their reputation for moving on youth players in one fell swoop. 

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think the Belgians have Canadian fever, thanks to Jonathan David :)

Well you know the old saying...if you dont go canuck, you are out of luck.  At least I tried it on an Irish girl once and she bought it!!  

Excellent news though, loan, transfer, whichever.  Agree with all that Obinna said (profit,flexibility,rep), maybe someone revently came into that TFC office that has some sense (or has played football manager) and we'll see some better roster moves out of them.