Tajon Buchanan

nolando

Just reading through some of the last few comments, this a fantastic debate between David, Davies and Buchanan. Personally, I think David going forward is our most important player. All 3 are around the same age. David’s ability to be clutch and get goals makes him the most integral part when out there. His ability to find space is incredible.

Eustaqiuo plays such a different role, I find it difficult to compare his style of player to the others who are more offensive driven in a sense, while Eustaqiuo is all over the pitch

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I know some didn't agree with my take on the Uruguay game but Davies and the NT team really missed Buchanan. With him on the pitch Davies would have had more free space to dribble and Tajon would have been a menace on his side. The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to think Buchanan may be the 2nd most important player on this team. Yes, ahead of David and Eustaquio.

Bingo!  Having Davies on the left is one thing,   Slot in Tajon on the right side, and its such a pleasure to watch, and horror to defend.

Quasi shades of Ribery and Robben at BM.  I loved watching those guys attack from the opposite sides, was such a treat. 

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I know some didn't agree with my take on the Uruguay game but Davies and the NT team really missed Buchanan. With him on the pitch Davies would have had more free space to dribble and Tajon would have been a menace on his side. The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to think Buchanan may be the 2nd most important player on this team. Yes, ahead of David and Eustaquio.

I think the real question is he's returned from injury very fit, looking dangerous and also working his butt off on defense. If we didn't see that it'd be different.

I too would replace Larin with him, or go to a 4-4-2 with Tajon and Davies the outside mids. And the backs more stay home.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think the real question is he's returned from injury very fit, looking dangerous and also working his butt off on defense. If we didn't see that it'd be different.

I too would replace Larin with him, or go to a 4-4-2 with Tajon and Davies the outside mids. And the backs more stay home.

Yeah, or how about a more fluid 4-5-1? I feel we're going to need to clog up the middle of the pitch against sides like Belgium and Croatia.  This'll still give Davies and Buchanan plenty of opportunity to attack the flanks, maybe even see Johnston and Sam on overlapping runs.  

6 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Yeah, or how about a more fluid 4-5-1? I feel we're going to need to clog up the middle of the pitch against sides like Belgium and Croatia.  This'll still give Davies and Buchanan plenty of opportunity to attack the flanks, maybe even see Johnston and Sam on overlapping runs.  

I think we need a seperate thread to hash out a formation and appoint a representative to present it to Herdman.   It comes up a lot.

By the way, I am with you about the needs in midfield but think our defenders best suited to 3 at the back, - so 3-5-1-1.

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think we need a seperate thread to hash out a formation and appoint a representative to present it to Herdman.   It comes up a lot.

By the way, I am with you about the needs in midfield but think our defenders best suited to 3 at the back, - so 3-5-1-1.

The Tajon Buchanan thread IS the separate thread.

Herdman is taking notes.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

We just simply need our best 11 players on the pitch…

The problem is our best defenders play a back 3 better than they play a back 4 but we have a lot of, good to amazing wingers, which you might not use as much with 3 at the back unless you empty out the midfield. Our available, at this point, let alone, best players in midfield are relatively few.  That leaves the 343 we played against Uruguay which I didn't think worked that well. 

40 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The problem is our best defenders play a back 3 better than they play a back 4 but we have a lot of, good to amazing wingers, which you might not use as much with 3 at the back unless you empty out the midfield. Our available, at this point, let alone, best players in midfield are relatively few.  That leaves the 343 we played against Uruguay which I didn't think worked that well. 

My biggest worry is that we'll get cut open in the middle of the pitch, that guys like DeBruyne and Modric will just boss us around and put immense pressure on our back line.  We need to clog the middle of the pitch, and I am not convinced 4 in the midfield will do that. We simply cannot make it too easy for them to pass by our midfield. Make them work for it, force them to battle our speedsters on the wings, but don't give them the middle of the pitch cheaply. 

4 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

My biggest worry is that we'll get cut open in the middle of the pitch, that guys like DeBruyne and Modric will just boss us around and put immense pressure on our back line.  We need to clog the middle of the pitch, and I am not convinced 4 in the midfield will do that. We simply cannot make it too easy for them to pass by our midfield. Make them work for it, force them to battle our speedsters on the wings, but don't give them the middle of the pitch cheaply. 

I agree.  Its where the argument of play your best players vs play the best formation against the opposition comes into play. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

If you ask Adekugbe to stay back and play as an outside back more, then you have a back 4. It is not so great an adjustment.

One of the problems vs Uruguay for me was that Adekugbe stayed wide and Davies was turning in very early, when it could have been otherwise. 

In any case, here is Herdman insisting on this back 3 and the wingbacks, but if you choose Buchanan over Larin, on form, then you may have to rework the entire premise. And then, what have you been preparing for?

On 10/6/2022 at 3:42 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you ask Adekugbe to stay back and play as an outside back more, then you have a back 4. It is not so great an adjustment.

One of the problems vs Uruguay for me was that Adekugbe stayed wide and Davies was turning in very early, when it could have been otherwise. 

In any case, here is Herdman insisting on this back 3 and the wingbacks, but if you choose Buchanan over Larin, on form, then you may have to rework the entire premise. And then, what have you been preparing for?

A good back 3 shifts to a back 4 pretty easily, which is I think what you are saying. My problem is that just leaves Vitoria and Miller in the middle.  Both give up something to elite forwards. A back three is supposed to mean having quicker, smarter players that are looking to give help with those forwards (and in other areas). 

I would like 3 in middle of midfield and Adekugbe and Buchanan wide but I am not sure who the 3 in the middle would be from those available, in order to justify giving up Larin. 

I just watched West Ham play a 343 tonight but it was an attempt to dominate a lesser team.  (Might have worked if we had our finishing boots on) We (Canada) can't look to do that at the World Cup.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

YES.  Players like Adekube (and even Lareya if he starts) give you the flexibly to easily switch on the fly from three at the back and 5 in MF TO 4 and 4 and/or vice versa.   Formations are not as intransigent and constraining as some may think it is.  It is more important to put the best 11 on the pitch.  And have the players fit the formation than have to force the players to fit teh formation.   As long as you have balance of 5 and 5 who are defensively and offensively focused (or both).  

Edited by Free kick

On 10/5/2022 at 3:50 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Don’t think it’ll happen but yes, 3-5-1-1.  

Outside Davies and Buchanan with Stach, Hutch and Osorio between them and with Hoilett beneath David. Against Belgium and Croatia. 

Edited by ECW

9 hours ago, ECW said:

Don’t think it’ll happen but yes, 3-5-1-1.  

Outside Davies and Buchanan with Stach, Hutch and Osorio between them and with Hoilett beneath David. Against Belgium and Croatia. 

How can one possibly see Hutch and Osorio starting vs Belgium and Croatia?  Neither has seen the field in months.  This coming from a huge fan of both.

So no Adekugbe or Laryea?

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

How can one possibly see Hutch and Osorio starting vs Belgium and Croatia?  Neither has seen the field in months.  This coming from a huge fan of both.

That's been the issue for me, I think we need three in the middle for at least those two games but do we have the bodies.  Piete, Eustaquio and Kone - maybe - but one is still untested and you are putting probably better players on the bench to included them. 

I do think that if Davies gets more work in the middle, he could be incredible behind David, harrying that first pass out of  defences that include some slower players. A cheap interception and dump to David could be the goal that changes the tournament for us.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Not that it makes much of a difference to your overall point, but Osorio last played in September.

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That's been the issue for me, I think we need three in the middle for at least those two games but do we have the bodies.  Piete, Eustaquio and Kone - maybe - but one is still untested and you are putting probably better players on the bench to included them. 

I do think that if Davies gets more work in the middle, he could be incredible behind David, harrying that first pass out of  defences that include some slower players. A cheap interception and dump to David could be the goal that changes the tournament for us.

In the first half of the last game Nancy played Kone at the top of the midfield triangle almost like a #10 and he looked good. I think there whatever lapses of concentration Kone' has will not be as detrimental as when he plays in the # 6 or #8.